Texas Hunting Forum

Sentimental gifts are the greatest!

Posted By: Theringworm

Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/26/17 11:25 PM

My 91 yo Grandmother gave this to me today as she feels she no longer needs it in her home. She is just grateful to wake up each day. My Grandfather bought this for her back in 1978 for personal protection. When she gave it to me today, it had a round locked and loaded ready to roll. Ain't nobody messing with my Grandma grin It's a Raven Arms .25 ACP. Nothing exciting. But what is exciting to me is the history and sentimental value it has. Original box and paperwork. Interesting to see the pricing back then for replacement parts. Also still has the original sales receipt. Nothing like paying $45.87 for a handgun. I'll likely never shoot it, but I will always cherish it. Love the history behind old things.

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/26/17 11:40 PM

Good for you...it's nice to own something that once belonged to an ancestor or older relative.

I'm fortunate in that I have a 1946 Winchester 94 that belonged to an uncle, a New Frontier that belonged to another uncle, and a 1936 Winchester Model 12 that belonged to a great uncle and then my grandfather. I'm at the age I need to start thinking about who I'll pass them down to when I take my leave. Sentimental value far exceeds monetary value.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 01:23 AM

That is great!
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 02:52 AM

That's a sales tax of 2.05 %. You won't see that rate again.
Neat story thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 02:55 AM

That is very cool.
Posted By: sendit

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 05:20 AM

It appears to be a .25 ACP and not a .22

Something to cherish though from another time.
Posted By: BQM88

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 01:03 PM

Awesome
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: sendit
It appears to be a .25 ACP and not a .22

Something to cherish though from another time.

Correct. Typo......thanks “Apple autocorrect.” You are always........... WRONG hammer
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 01:11 PM

Absolutely the best gifts.

I have my grandfather’s old Glenfield 30A. It is one of my most treasured possessions.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 02:16 PM

Consider yourself lucky to have it. The only thing in my grandparents house that I wanted was a K98 my Papa had. After he died my aunt moved in to "help" my GranGran. Her and my cousins took everything. You're a lucky fellow she handed that to you.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
After he died my aunt moved in to "help" my GranGran. Her and my cousins took everything.

Sorry to hear this, but this happens all too often. Seems there's unbridled greed in a lot of families.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 02:48 PM

up
Posted By: Cast

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 02:49 PM

Yep, there’s a greedy branch in our family that just outted themselves finally. I’ve know it for decades due to them ‘taking’ from me and mine. Then they ostracized me from the family for decades. They made a big grab attempt and outted themselves to my sis and the worm has turned. Screw ‘em. It’s nice to be back in the family.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Sentimental gifts are the greatest! - 12/27/17 07:42 PM

Yep, it's a crappy feeling whether you see it coming or not. With my grandparents, I didn't see it coming as I was young and naive. I assure you I know it's coming from one of my own brothers when Mom goes. I have her set up on auto pay monthly's for the land I bought from her for the rest of her life. She gets some money for herself, I get the land I've loved since I was a baby.

To the OP, cherish it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum