Texas Hunting Forum

CC choices

Posted By: redchevy

CC choices - 12/26/17 10:31 PM

Glock 43 or Ruger LC9
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: CC choices - 12/26/17 10:34 PM

Whichever you will carry.

G43 because Glock makes excellent handguns, IMO, and it fit my hand better... and I'm used to Glocks... and etc. Nothing wrong with ruger.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: CC choices - 12/26/17 10:35 PM

glock sux
Posted By: JLP83

Re: CC choices - 12/26/17 11:01 PM

G43 with light clothing
G19 in winter
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: CC choices - 12/26/17 11:29 PM

I personally prefer the Glock of those two choices. Having said that, my current choice is a S&W Shield.

Doesn’t matter much what I (or anyone else) says, though. It’s all about what you prefer, and what shoots well for you. Find a range that rents and try both.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: CC choices - 12/26/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
glock sux

Are you drunk again?

Glocks are Glocks and just flat work every time.

I've never heard anything bad about the Ruger, but I'd probably go with the Glock between the two.

I carry a Ruger 1911 CMD in winter and a Glock 27 in summer.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: CC choices - 12/26/17 11:58 PM

glock sux

loser8
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Glock 43 or Ruger LC9

I carry glock 43 and or ruger lcp . Prefer the 43 carried owb but wife likes my shirt tails tucked in. I can carry the 43 in cargo shorts or pants but it is still more comfortable owb. I can shoot the Glock 43 better.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 12:15 AM

If you want a Glock, shoot a G43 and a G26 and get the one that feels/shoots better. I tried both and the G43 was too slim for me and I was much more comfortable with the G26. I have a Gen4 G26 with +2 pinky extensions on the mags and love it.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 12:42 AM

S&W Shield should be in consideration. Pretty much the perfect carry gun IMHO.

Of those two, I'd vote for the Ruger just because I am not a Glock fan. But either is fine.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 12:53 AM

Will add it to the look at list
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 01:00 AM

Either of those are very small. I carry a G23 most of the time right now, along with a G20 in 10mm when I want to. I prefer the 10mm for the horse power, but the G23 is nice and comfortable. Going to either of those 2 would be smaller, and either would do fine. Find a range and rent both, and see what you shoot better.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 01:23 AM

glock sux

There's probably more Glocks in America than any other single pistol.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 01:24 AM

Carry an XDs 3.3" every day. Slim, and small enough, I don't even notice it.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 01:30 AM

Yes they are small but I thought the whole idea was concealed Cary I don't want a big gun. I would love a glock 42 if it wasn't a 380.
Posted By: Earl

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 02:25 AM

I do love Glocks (as well as 1911's) but my pocket carry gun is a LC9sPro - smaller than the G43 and the best trigger of the lot. When I want even smaller I carry a LCPII. When I want larger, Colt 1911 CCO Gunsite .45
Posted By: bronco71

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 03:02 AM

Glock is definitely reliable, but I cant stand them, just a personal thing because I tend to choke up on the grip and with no beavertail with sweaty hands the G27 I previously owned bit the web of my hand with the slide.....hurt like hell and bled forever. Now I will always hesitate when shooting a Glock so I dont own any now. I also personally prefer alloy over plastic guns. I carry either a compact Witness in 40 cal or 10mm. If carrying full size it is either a Witness 38 Super or Beretta 96.

My suggestion is to shoot several pistols before deciding which one you will be happy with.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 03:56 AM

Yes they are small but I thought the whole idea was concealed Cary I don't want a big gun. I would love a glock 42 if it wasn't a 380.

the G43 is what you seek
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 04:00 AM

I am also in the camp of people who just don't like Glocks. I've owned a G19 and a G26. I even qualified this most recent time wit the G26.

Not mentioned.... Sig P938
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 04:02 AM

I’d choose the lc9. Carry an lcp w/ a crimson trace everyday in pocket holster.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 05:31 AM

Glock 43 for me.

Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 02:25 PM

What do you guy think of the Bond Arms Bullpup9? It has my attention. Made in Texas, but a bit pricey, in my wallet anyway. https://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/bond-arms-bullpup/
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 03:54 PM

Not a fan of the looks and for the price could buy 2 Glocks or a nice 3" 1911.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
What do you guy think of the Bond Arms Bullpup9? It has my attention. Made in Texas, but a bit pricey, in my wallet anyway. https://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/bond-arms-bullpup/

Not familiar with it but also don't care much for the look. I do have one of their derringers in .410/45 Long Colt that I carry for snakes, great quality, small and deadly but only 2 shots....
Posted By: hermano W

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 04:20 PM

Beretta Storm Compact Carry
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 04:28 PM

In that size, Kahr CM9 is my favorite. It’s very accurate, reliable and easy to maintain. Probably one of the most underrated guns in the market.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 04:47 PM

I used to carry a Kahr Pm9... sold it... wish I didn't. Anyways crucify me now, I carry a Sig p238 yep a 380. It's small enough that i keep it with me at all times. I also have one of those little pocket .22 revolvers made by I think NAA or something like that for when I'm in some odd situation that I cant have my p238. I am looking into getting a glock tho soooo. I'd take the glock out of the two mentioned.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 08:54 PM

Either

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 08:56 PM

The thing about a CCW, there are MANY options. Everyone will have a different opinion. Go shoot both pistols, and see what you like. And even see what holster you want and make sure they make one with that pistol. But get what you will carry.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:02 PM

I believe the Shield in 9mm is about as good as it gets for an all season edc. They fill the hand well, are accurate, reliable, controls are intuitive, slim, relatively light, lots of holster options, lots of upgradeablity, higher capacity and are much cheaper than the Glock. I saw them during the Black Friday specials for as low as $250.00..they are a bargain of a little pistol.

Posted By: unclebubba

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:08 PM

Chad is spot on. There are so many choices for CC, and each person will have a different perfect carry gun for them. Through the years, I have carried multiple double and single stack pistols, small revolvers, striker fired, and hammer fired sidearms. For me, I wanted a very small single stack pistol. I wanted it to be 9mm or bigger, and I wanted an external safety because that is just what I am comfortable with. My current carry gun is a sig p938. 1911 style functions in a very small single stack package. It is what works for me, but I know it wouldn't work for many people out there. You will probably have to go through multiple carry guns until you find the perfect one for you. I did. You will probably also go through many holsters. I think I personally own more holsters than I do pistols. lol
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:10 PM

I would base your pick on your own personal experiences and not what someones favorite gun is.

Do you shoot it well?
Is it comfortable to carry?
are you proficient with the one you choose?

Maybe the answer is both and maybe it is neither. But you really need to spend time with each to understand which is really best for you.

Sure some of these guys are knowledgeable and have good advice but a gun is so personal the decision must be yours.

I personally believe that your carry weapon has to be the type of weapon that will never ever misfire or stove pipe. If it does just once it is useless because if that happens to you at that critical moment you could be dead.

Buy the best if it is for life and death situations and I would never personally consider glock or ruger anywhere near the top of the heap or the best.

But thats just me!

Posted By: mikei

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:38 PM

Like many have said, it's a personal choice. But end up buying the piece that you KNOW you will actually carry. Don't pay any attention to what your buddies say about your choice! Buying a CC weapon to impress your friends and family is wrong headed, because after the newness wears off, and you discover that you're uncomfortable carrying it or shooting it, you won't take it with you anymore. It is my opinion that it is MUCH better to carry a "mouse gun" that you'll actually carry around with you, than one of the "cool calibers" that winds up staying in your safe or in your vehicle.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:46 PM

Sure it is personal choice, but I don't have the ability to borrow one for a week and see how I like it. In general I'm not picky if it works I will be ok with it and if not which I cant see happening I will have to find something different.

What are yals thoughts on boot holsters? Can you use a waist style holster and clip it over the side of a pull on boot instead of your belt line or is that a no go?

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:55 PM

Many of the indoor target ranges have pistols of all kinds to rent so that you can find one that works for you. My late wife used to carry a subcompact in her boot all the time when she was working at the stables or riding. I don't usually wear boots so I carry a compact inside the waistband with a Crossbreed Supertuck.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 09:58 PM

Only problem with a boot holster is getting to your gun quick. Bad stuff can happen real fast.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 10:01 PM

For me, boot and ankle holsters are a no go. Can't get to it easily, and it bounces around a lot. I use primarily 3 holsters. One is an outside the waistband holster. El Paso Saddlery pancake. If I am wearing jeans and a shirt that is big enough to cover this up, that is my go to holster and is my favorite. In summer, with shorts, I wear a desantis inside the waistband holster. If I am going someplace that I must tuck a shirt in, I wear a desantis softuck. The tucked in shirt does make it harder to get to my gun, but not that much harder. YMMV.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 10:08 PM

I wear pull on boots nearly every day, it just seems like the easiest most concealable place for me to hide it. I wear a tuck in shirt daily for work and being that we are in Texas its hot more often than not so I'm not looking to add clothing to my wardrobe. If it takes a second or two longer to get to it then so be it, I'm hoping to add to protecting myself and my family not be the next quick draw.

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 10:11 PM

Are you required to tuck your shirt in at work? I used to tuck my shirts in every day, working or not. When I started carrying, I started wearing my shirts un-tucked, and I now wear them un tucked 98% of the time. If I had to wear tucked all the time, I would go with a tuckable, inside the waistband holster all the time. You may have to buy all your pants one size bigger now.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: CC choices - 12/27/17 10:39 PM

I wear pull on boots nearly every day, it just seems like the easiest most concealable place for me to hide it. I wear a tuck in shirt daily for work and being that we are in Texas its hot more often than not so I'm not looking to add clothing to my wardrobe. If it takes a second or two longer to get to it then so be it, I'm hoping to add to protecting myself and my family not be the next quick draw.

Good decision Red to decide to get your license. As others have stated, there are tons of options. Boot carry may work for you. Also, (never thought I'd say this) I'd consider a 380. I used to be kinda anti 380 until I bought one. Picked up several different kinds of the new "self defense" ammo, and tested myself on the carcass of a big boar hog I killed one night. I was surprised with the results. My everyday pocket carry is a Taurus TCP 380, good shooting little gun. The Ruger's are nice too. After a few days carrying it's easy to forget it's there.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: CC choices - 12/28/17 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

I personally believe that your carry weapon has to be the type of weapon that will never ever misfire or stove pipe. If it does just once it is useless because if that happens to you at that critical moment you could be dead.

Buy the best if it is for life and death situations and I would never personally consider glock or ruger anywhere near the top of the heap or the best.

But thats just me!

I just don't feel like this is reality. If you shoot a gun enough, especially a magazine fed firearm you are going to experience stoppages. How you deal with them could mean the difference between life and death. I can't imagine there is a firearm that is 100% reliable 100% of the time. My recommendation is to shoot a few hundred rounds through a CCW pistol prior to carrying it so that you have an idea of its inherent reliability with your chosen ammo. If there is a stoppage or two you will have the opportunity to diagnose and correct the problem.

Just out of curiosity, given your "one stoppage and it's useless" opinion, what pistol do you consider the "best" for CCW?

Re: CC choices - 12/28/17 02:02 AM

Boot holsters would maybe be for my second CCW. But heck no for the primary pistol I'm carrying.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: CC choices - 12/28/17 03:39 AM

The last two holsters I bought were Vedder Lighttuck. They quickly have become my two favorite. I wear them tucked and untucked, depending on dress. These two are for a P938 and a 1911 Ultra Compact. When I get my P320C, it will also get the same Vedder.

Re: CC choices - 12/28/17 03:41 AM

I would base your pick on your own personal experiences and not what someones favorite gun is.

Do you shoot it well?
Is it comfortable to carry?
are you proficient with the one you choose?

Maybe the answer is both and maybe it is neither. But you really need to spend time with each to understand which is really best for you.

Sure some of these guys are knowledgeable and have good advice but a gun is so personal the decision must be yours.

But thats just me!

Let me guess, kimber 1911?
Posted By: mikei

Re: CC choices - 12/28/17 10:16 PM

To add to the whole CC discussion, here's an article by Jim Wilson that appeared in Shooting Illustrated:

How Much Ammo Do You Really Need for Concealed Carry?
Posted on 13 September 2017

Once you have realized that you can’t predict when a criminal attack will occur and have begun to pack your concealed carry handgun all the time, it is important to address the issue of carrying extra ammunition. It is generally recommended you carry at least one reload with you. The operative phrase in that sentence is “at least.” In addition to providing spare ammo, carrying extra magazines gives a backup option in case of equipment-related malfunction.
When I carry my 1911, I have two spare magazines in a double mag pouch. Counting what’s in the pistol, that’s a total of 22 rounds. When packing a double-action revolver, I’ve got six rounds in a dump pouch and another six rounds in a speed strip, for a total of 18 rounds. A study of actual gunfights will show the vast majority of threats are stopped with amounts of ammunition within the limits I have described, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared for any nightmare scenarios requiring more ammunition.
You undoubtedly have extra boxes of ammo at home. Why not find a way to make a better tactical use of them? Why not put that extra ammunition into your spare magazines and strategically stash a few in your car and around your house? You revolver guys should load up your speed loaders and speed strips and do the same. In all likelihood, you will probably never need the extra ammunition, but at least you can have it there for the mother of all worst-case scenarios.
In defensive handgun classes, after we teach students how to perform speed and tactical reloads, we tell them, from now on, ammunition management is up to them. How much ammo they carry and when they reload is their problem. That’s the way it works in the real world, too.
This post originally appeared in the Shooting Illustrated.

Re: CC choices - 12/29/17 01:34 AM

NO ftf ever using all kinds of cheap ammo. Maybe 1000 rds or so in her.

Re: CC choices - 12/29/17 01:37 AM

sorry I am not a kimber fan at all.

Re: CC choices - 12/29/17 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Misfire

But thats just me!

I just don't feel like this is reality. If you shoot a gun enough, especially a magazine fed firearm you are going to experience stoppages. How you deal with them could mean the difference between life and death. I can't imagine there is a firearm that is 100% reliable 100% of the time. My recommendation is to shoot a few hundred rounds through a CCW pistol prior to carrying it so that you have an idea of its inherent reliability with your chosen ammo. If there is a stoppage or two you will have the opportunity to diagnose and correct the problem.

Just out of curiosity, given your "one stoppage and it's useless" opinion, what pistol do you consider the "best" for CCW?

I agree.

Shoot any type firearm enough, and issues will arise. Get the knowledge and muscle memory to deal with those issues quickly. I learned that very well trying to compete with a Savage bolt action.

Re: CC choices - 12/29/17 02:26 AM

I have no opinion on what the best is because the "best" is up to the individual and their specific needs. The best for me is one that is 100% reliable and I doubt my HK will ever have an ftf. Except in the case of a large casing where it could get stuck. But that wont happen on premium ammo that I use when carrying.
Posted By: TX Grubby

Re: CC choices - 12/29/17 10:34 PM

Im really surprised that there was only one other person that listed Sig 938. Cant notice it in a T Shirt and have carried it for a few years now.

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 03:28 PM

Update. Got a chance to shoot the ones on my list. Picked up a Glock 43 after work yesterday. I was originally leaning toward the glock and didn't experience anything I didn't like with any of them shooting so glock it is.

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 03:35 PM

happy3 very reliable and the trigger can be changed up easily if you don't like the feel. It's good that you had a chance to try a few first. Glocks just don't fit my hand plus I don't care for the plastic guns but that is just my personal opinion so I dumped mine. Shoot it and find a good holster!

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 03:40 PM

Any recommendations on holster would be appreciated and where is a good place to get them?

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 03:43 PM

I prefer a crossbreed supertuck "in the waistband" holster. It is very adjustable for angle and height. I have only seen them online but I have seen decent clones at gun shows for less $$$$.
Posted By: Crews

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 04:01 PM

JM Custom Kydex G43 Quick Ship

JM Custom Kydex makes the best holsters I've ever used. Not all holsters are created the same.... you might be able to save a few bucks with someone else but it won't be the functional equal to anything JM makes. Hybrid holsters are too damned hot, and the retention really sucks. At some point, you will take a fall and you don't want your gun laying on the ground when you get up. Don't ask me how I know.

I carry AIWB but wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I also use one of his regular IWB like the provided link, with a belt clip. It's quick to put on and take off if I'm going into places where I can't carry.

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 09:43 PM

I use a Stealthgear Revolution with my g43. I've been happy with it.
https://stealthgearusa.com/revolution
Posted By: hawk

Re: CC choices - 01/12/18 09:57 PM

Old school. Carry a Colt Detective Special most of the time.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: CC choices - 01/13/18 12:28 AM

Any recommendations on holster would be appreciated and where is a good place to get them?

I got one for my G23 from East here on the forum, haven't seen him post in awhile though.

Re: CC choices - 01/13/18 03:14 AM

Get a slip in pocket holster. The 43 is plenty small to pocket carry. It’s 100x more comfortable than IWB. I carry an lcp in my pocket every day.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: CC choices - 01/15/18 12:52 AM

I carry a Kahr PM9 in a Crossbreed Minituck. Very very comfortable.

Crossbreedseconds.com is their outlet website. Great deals on their holsters
Posted By: gusick

Re: CC choices - 01/15/18 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

I think you should get that.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: CC choices - 01/15/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TX Grubby
Im really surprised that there was only one other person that listed Sig 938. Cant notice it in a T Shirt and have carried it for a few years now.

Never shot the 938 but a SIG 239 has been my CC for damn near 20 years. I'll carry it open and concealed, also carry a 226 but it's mainly an open carry due to it's size. What I want in a CC is conceal ability meaning it has to be small, thin and shorter in the grip, weight is the least of my concerns. Glocks are good and reliable and I would recommend both but I'll carry a SIG. Nothing against Glocks but I just don't like plastic pistols, none of them. With that said you'd be hard pressed to find a better pocket pistol than the little KELTEC 380. It slides in and out of the front pocket like butter and goes bang every time you ask it to. I prefer a DA/SA over a SA but that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my 1911'a or my Browning Hi-Powers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum