Texas Hunting Forum

What should I get?

Posted By: TAT

What should I get? - 12/21/17 11:34 PM

I've got 1000 dollars to put towards another rifle. What should I get. I've got plenty of guns but no real dedicated long range rig. I know a grand doesn't get me there but it could be a start! What would yall buy?
Posted By: bronco71

Re: What should I get? - 12/21/17 11:44 PM

Hard to beat a 6.5 Creedmore with a real good scope on top!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 12:11 AM

I’ve seen multiple gen 1 ruger precision rifles for sale for under $1k lately.
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 12:31 AM

i would lean towards the tikka CTR.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Chuckw
i would lean towards the tikka CTR.

X2

That was the rifle that got me started. Shooting pumpkins full of water at 425. We took video. May have been the most fun I’ve had yet. That was a first gen CTR. Crappy stock and non threaded barrel. Extremely accurate though.

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
Hard to beat a 6.5 Creedmore with a real good scope on top!

This has been going through my mind. I don't have a 6.5 creed more either.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 01:36 AM

Ruger RPR, had one out today in 6.5 Creedmoor and it ran like a top, making some very challenging shots.

Or

A Tikka CTR

I'd bet my lunch money on both of them.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 03:17 AM

Gen2 RPR were selling for under $1K a couple weeks ago. You could wait for a price drop again. Then save money for a scope in the meantime.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 04:03 AM

Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor would be hard to beat. Nothing wrong with an RPR either.

If you start missing shots, it probably won't be because of the rifle with either of those.

If you are talking $1k for the whole rig, I'd look at a Savage 10FCP-SR in 6.5 plus an SWFA fixed-power scope.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 05:24 AM

What rifles and scopes do you already have?

Do you have reloading equipment?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 08:32 AM

A suppressed 22 LR bolt gun, and shoot the hell out of it. Target practice is good, and fun especially when it's cheap.
Posted By: preston629

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 12:45 PM

you should just give me the money banana
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 04:24 PM

I'd look at one of the 6.5 creedmore bergara rifles. They are in your price range and remember seeing another poster or two with one that was very pleased with it.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I'd look at one of the 6.5 creedmore bergara rifles. They are in your price range and remember seeing another poster or two with one that was very pleased with it.

Cabelas in Ft Worth had a Bergara for $1000. On Sale
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Cabelas in Ft Worth had a Bergara for $1000. On Sale

Shop harder. My Cabela's had a new one for $949, and I know you can beat that by $100-150 easily on the net. When I bought my CTR my LGS had a Bergara and he offered it to me for $900. If it had weighed the same as the Tikka I likely would have bought it. But I knew the Tikka would be a shooter out of the box and I didn't want to spend time monkeying with the Bergara if by chance it wasn't.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 06:05 PM

ruger American predator 6.5 creed

put the leftover $$ plus another grand and buy a GREAT scope and rings. it will do anything you will need

if its not fancy enough, take it and have it Cerakoted

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

put the leftover $$ plus another grand and buy a GREAT scope and rings. it will do anything you will need

He mentioned he did not have a dedicated long-range rig. While I value the Ruger for what it is, the Predator is not a LR rig capable of repeated shooting over a short course of time. Additionally, the stock is sub-par and the trigger lacks.

Re: What should I get? - 12/22/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

I don't have any reloading equipment.

As far as guns I have a good bit of different rifles. Plenty of 243's , 270's, 7mm-08 and 308's. And keep going. I do have a remington VTR I got a helluva deal on a few years ago. I don't have anything in 6.5 creedmoore though. I'm thinking this is what I'll go with.

The grand is to put towards a rifle and then spend some money on good glass and base(if needed) and rings.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: TAT

As far as guns I have a good bit of different rifles. Plenty of 243's , 270's, 7mm-08 and 308's. And keep going. I do have a remington VTR I got a helluva deal on a few years ago. I don't have anything in 6.5 creedmoore though. I'm thinking this is what I'll go with.

The grand is to put towards a rifle and then spend some money on good glass and base(if needed) and rings.

That 7mm-08 will put a bullet on target a very, very long ways down range, with the right load, and right scope. It is one of the best short action cartridges on earth that is good at long range shooting.

Put the $1k into base, rings, and scope on that rifle.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

He mentioned he did not have a dedicated long-range rig. While I value the Ruger for what it is, the Predator is not a LR rig capable of repeated shooting over a short course of time. Additionally, the stock is sub-par and the trigger lacks.

its as good as any RPR, anyway, anyone who wants to play the real LR Game with a $1,000 budget is dreaming. I just wanted to get him something he can hit steel at 500 easily. He did not say repeated shooting either. I guess you suggest a Tikka with a kortex scope?
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 02:27 AM

I guess you suggest a Tikka with a kortex scope?

LOL. Yes, not much variety of answers on this forum. You come here when you already know you want a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor. You can get a few options on scopes. I think Kortex has fallen out of favor a little here.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 02:37 AM

You can also go big with a 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum!

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
You can also go big with a 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum!

now ya talkin !!!
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 02:52 AM

The SWFA SS 10X that costs $300 new...will get you hits at long range and tracks as good or better than any high dollar optic....Ask me how I know....

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 04:06 AM

My 1000 is going towards a rifle. After I decide on a rifle I will get a base, rings and scope. Those are on a whole different budget. Thanks for all the advice everyone! still trying to figure out which rifle I want to buy. I'll get something though!
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 07:45 AM

Having grown up on variable scopes, I have finally learned the value of fixed range scopes that are of quality build. Consistency is a heckuva good thing.

As far as long range shooting... Is it one shot, cold bore? Or is it repeated shots on a hot rifle?
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 12:37 PM

So I bought a Remington 700 in 6.5 CM for 700 and some change. put night Force Base and badger rings on it for around the 1000.00 mark. I haven't had time to really shoot a bunch of groups but after sighting it in I did shoot a 5 shot group at 3/4 moa at 100 yards. Next on the list is either a McMillan or Manners stock and haven't decided on a new trigger but hopefully that 3/4 will tighten up a bit.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Kthnx
So I bought a Remington 700 in 6.5 CM for 700 and some change. put night Force Base and badger rings on it for around the 1000.00 mark. I haven't had time to really shoot a bunch of groups but after sighting it in I did shoot a 5 shot group at 3/4 moa at 100 yards. Next on the list is either a McMillan or Manners stock and haven't decided on a new trigger but hopefully that 3/4 will tighten up a bit.

THIS, is a GREAT plan, great as is but with so much potential as budgets grow.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 03:37 PM

My suggestion is to use that money towards a really good scope like a Nightforce ATACR or NXS, and put it on the 308. Buy four or five cases of good quality match ammo, and a lesson. I’ve not used Chad’s ammo but have no doubt it would be good. Black Hills makes good ammo at a fair price. ABM is the best off the shelf ammo, but a bit more expensive.

A great scope on a good rifle is a good starting point. Adding reloading equipment will pay nice dividends as well.

One other suggestion, depending on the make and model, either the 243 or 308 could be trued, rebarreled to 6.5 CM and bedded with the $1000 and shoot better than off the shelf options for the same price. There are good factory ammo options for it as well.

FJG,

since he does not reload, 7-08 is not a good option due to lack of match ammo options.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 03:55 PM

My suggestion is to use that money towards a really good scope like a Nightforce ATACR or NXS, and put it on the 308. Buy four or five cases of good quality match ammo, and a lesson. I’ve not used Chad’s ammo but have no doubt it would be good. Black Hills makes good ammo at a fair price. ABM is the best off the shelf ammo, but a bit more expensive.

A great scope on a good rifle is a good starting point. Adding reloading equipment will pay nice dividends as well.

One other suggestion, depending on the make and model, either the 243 or 308 could be trued, rebarreled to 6.5 CM and bedded with the $1000 and shoot better than off the shelf options for the same price. There are good factory ammo options for it as well.

FJG,

since he does not reload, 7-08 is not a good option due to lack of match ammo options.

He sent me a PM last night, and we had a good conversation. My recommendation was to hire Chad to develop a load, and use what is left over for a scope. He said it would hold 1" at 100, and I told him that was plenty good to start with.

It is unfortunate that ammo manufacturers do not load for the potential of the 7mm-08. At least not what I saw for sale on Midway.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 04:05 PM

Just talked to Chad and recommended he start building high BC 7mm-08 ammo, loaded with H-Varget. He said "consider it done".
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

It is unfortunate that ammo manufacturers do not load for the potential of the 7mm-08. At least not what I saw for sale on Midway.

Yes, and because of this it now gets overlooked as a long range round by the mainstream that does not hand load. Seems like it's always been marketed more as a short action 270 Win. When Winchester started building the Model 70 again in SC, I wanted Featherweight with the classic Fleur-de-lis stock. Always wanted one. Being a short action guy, I bought the 7-08 instead of the 270 Win. It's been more of a safe queen but I really need to take it out and hunt with it some day.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

its as good as any RPR, anyway, anyone who wants to play the real LR Game with a $1,000 budget is dreaming. I just wanted to get him something he can hit steel at 500 easily. He did not say repeated shooting either. I guess you suggest a Tikka with a kortex scope?

No, at that price point I’d look at the RPR, the Bergara HMR, Rem 700 5R in addition to the CTR. The Bergara is an awesome deal for what you get. If I hadn’t been in a time crunch I likely would have bought one.

Re: What should I get? - 12/23/17 09:25 PM

you are right that bergara is very nice
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: What should I get? - 12/24/17 02:51 AM

!

Re: What should I get? - 12/24/17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Kthnx

Sounds like a good set up you have going.

I'm gonna get in touch with chad after the holidays and get some custom loads made up. I'm still gonna buy a rifle and start building it. Not exactly sure what I'll end up with yet or where I'll finish but thats half the fun! Right?!?! Lol. I really appreciate all of yalls input and answering my questions. Merry Christmas everyone!
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: What should I get? - 12/24/17 04:21 AM

I'm happy with it so far. I got the one with the heavy barrel and it's heavy as all get out. Wouldn't want to use it on spot and stalk but it's not bad in the stand and great on a bench.

Merry Christmas to you too!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum