Texas Hunting Forum

Tikka T3x or T3x Lite

Posted By: postoak

Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 02:31 PM

I am thinking about drinking the Tikka Kool Aid. I was looking at getting another 7mm Rem Mag and, looking at the specs, I noticed the Lite was 6.3 pounds vs 7 pounds for the regular (this is with the 24 inch barrel). Any advice on which would be best? I am not particularly susceptible to recoil, but 6.3 pounds seems awfully light.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 02:49 PM

I’d go with the non-lite version. Especially if you are keeping it in the factory stock. You won’t notice the extra weight when carrying it but it will help reduce the recoil.

If you are considering any aftermarket mods, our bottom metal will fit OEM stocks — we offer a discount for THF members, PM me if interested.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 02:53 PM

^^What Red said

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 04:35 PM

Do you think the wood stock will provide the same accuracy as the synthetic?

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 05:01 PM

Make sure the barrel channel is clearing the barrel. If not, emory cloth will correct it. After that, I'm sure it will shoot just fine.

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 07:13 PM

I thought these didn't have free-floating barrels - that they had upward pressure on the fore-end tip. Has that changed?

Or did you mean make sure it was free *behind* the front pressure point?

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/17/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
I thought these didn't have free-floating barrels - that they had upward pressure on the fore-end tip. Has that changed?

You might be right. That may be the way they are designed. I got my stepson a T-3 in .308 Win, and I opened up the barrel channel on his synthetic stock, all the way to the recoil lug.
Posted By: Gary Olson

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/18/17 02:37 AM

My T3 lite is free float; no pressure. I measured it from the factory and after I reseated the action once.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/18/17 02:47 AM

That's a beautiful stock they come with! loser8
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/18/17 02:55 AM

the Lite feels good in the hand walking around

if it's a hunting rifle, you won't feel a thing if/when you take a shot at game

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/18/17 11:48 PM

I know that, cabosandinh, but I also like to shoot from the bench, working up loads. Also, I noticed that on the Tikka website the weight is listed as 6.6-7.0 pounds depending on caliber for the regular weight rifle, so the 7mm RM would be something less than 7.0 pounds. I'm still undecided. I went down to Academy today to heft these two rifles and they didn't have any, which was surprising to me and left me where I was before.

So, does anyone have a T3x standard to confirm whether it is free-floated or has front pressure points?

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/19/17 12:43 AM

I know that, cabosandinh, but I also like to shoot from the bench, working up loads. Also, I noticed that on the Tikka website the weight is listed as 6.6-7.0 pounds depending on caliber for the regular weight rifle, so the 7mm RM would be something less than 7.0 pounds. I'm still undecided. I went down to Academy today to heft these two rifles and they didn't have any, which was surprising to me and left me where I was before.

So, does anyone have a T3x standard to confirm whether it is free-floated or has front pressure points?

I have the Lite, Reg, CTR, Tactical, TAC A-1

They're all free floated, can run a dollar bill back to receiver

Sounds like the CTR will be your best bet,,,,, go for it

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/19/17 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Tikka makes a CTR in 7mm Rem Mag?

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/19/17 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Tikka makes a CTR in 7mm Rem Mag?

my bad, wasn't paying attention to his caliber requirement
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/19/17 02:10 AM

You may want to see if someone can let you try out a lite 7mm Rem Mag.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/19/17 05:29 AM

I've got a T3 "standard I guess" in 7mm Mag and it is not bad to shoot at all and light enough for an old man to carry. I've taken a bull elk at 373 in Colorado and an Aoudad in Texas at 370. Rifle was perfect for both scenarios.

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/20/17 04:43 PM

Well, I'm hearing from a good authority that the Tikkas are NOT free-floated but that the pressure point is also not at the front of the fore-end but rather some way back. Anyone with an unmodified Tikka want to take a dollar bill and try to run it all the way back to the receiver?
Posted By: JLP83

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/20/17 04:50 PM

Here ya go. It stops right here.

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 12/20/17 04:56 PM

Well, I'm hearing from a good authority that the Tikkas are NOT free-floated but that the pressure point is also not at the front of the fore-end but rather some way back. Anyone with an unmodified Tikka want to take a dollar bill and try to run it all the way back to the receiver?

I already told you that story a few posts back. Step-son's .308 T-3 Lite.

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 01/07/18 04:43 PM

My T3X Hunter came in today. It weighed a hair over 6 1/4 pounds. I don't want this to come in too light, so I ordered Warne rings, which are steel and a little heavier than others. I also ordered a bit heavier scope.

Interestingly enough, unlike the one above, the Hunter is free-floating:

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 01/07/18 05:03 PM

I don't want this to come in too light, so I ordered Warne rings, which are steel and a little heavier than others. I also ordered a bit heavier scope.

BIL is going to be so disappointed in you.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 01/07/18 06:23 PM

well at least Tikkas bedding is consistent

not bang
Posted By: Amarillo.Hunter

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 01/07/18 09:17 PM

I have my first Tikka T3 SS being delivered at some point this week.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Tikka T3x or T3x Lite - 01/07/18 10:47 PM

T3 lites all have a “speed bump”in the stock 3-4” in from the receiver face, as shown in JLP83s pic above. I’ve had a several t3 lites, tried a few different aftermarket stocks and removed the pressure point from factory plastic on a couple more. I can’t say fully floating the barrel has improved accuracy noticeably, but it hasn’t hurt either.

As far as I know, all the aftermarket stocks for these (manners, McMillan, B&c) would free float the barrel, no pressure points.

I wouldn’t let any of this pressure point business be the deciding factor on which model I chose though, it’s all of 5 mins work to remove the pressure point from a t3 lite stock, should you choose to.

Edit: I just re-read the thread and see that the OP has already went with the t3 hunter. Nice rifle, I imagine you will enjoy it..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum