Texas Hunting Forum

Can someone give me a good reason...

Posted By: ralph

Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 02:08 AM

... why I think I "need" a Ruger American Compact rifle in .22 Magnum?

I already have several .22lr and an AR15 in 5.56/.223. I have a Single Six with .22 magnum cylinder- but rarely shoot it.

I can't come up with any reason for the rifle other than I just "want" one. It might be due to the variety and ample supply of .22 magnum ammo now on the market. I recall quite well that less than 2 years ago .22 magnum was the hardest ammunition to find anywhere. There are probably a dozen different .22 magnum loads now and I would like to see how they perform-but not sure why or even what I would hunt/shoot with any of them.

it might be just to have a bolt action as I do not currently have any bolt action rifles. It might be because it is one of the few rifles left with factory iron sights.

I'm looking for some "valid" reason other than just my personal desire to have another Ruger.

Come on folks, help me out. grin
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 02:36 AM

And want one is good enough in my book!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 02:52 AM

Because it's patriotic to own guns. Does that help any?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 03:38 AM

Never owned a 22 mag and never really had a desire to.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 04:00 AM

22 magnum...the most powerful 22 rimfire in the world and it could blow a pigs head off.

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 04:06 AM

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on the THF to be the "voice of reason." clap
Posted By: machine73

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 01:24 PM

A .22 mag is what I take to the woods most often. Good forf varmints and can kill a pig if you do your part. There is no reason NOT to own one (or more). I buy a box or two of ammo every paycheck, so I didn't run short during the rimfire drought.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 03:13 PM

I've been a fan of the .22 WMR for a long time.

It packs more punch than you'd expect and with some of the .30 grain spitzer rounds out these days, can be very accurate as well. Good luck with your decision.

The Ruger American Rimfires are usually good to go, mine is the green stocked "Predator" version with no sights and larger bolt handle.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/18/17 04:30 PM

Because you can. Nothing else is necessary. flag
Posted By: Ridinbackwards

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/19/17 04:01 PM

I have several 22 mags.
My favorite is just like 9x19's above. Ruger predator with green stock. I bought it, cleaned it, mounted a Nikon 3-9x40 on it,and went to sight it in. Bore sighted old way looking down the bore. Shot once, it was on paper, so i fired 2 more rounds at same point of aim. Looked and looked for other 2 holes, and finally walked down to target to verify. The gun shot first 3 rounds ever fired into a clover leaf hole. I think she is a keeper.

A 22WMR is a very good round.
Posted By: Undercoverdog

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/21/17 02:29 AM

I heard a guy say once that until he was 20 yrs old he thought a 22 mag Was a deer rifle!!! bolt
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/21/17 07:59 PM

I love my 22 mag, it's a Savage and I run it with a 2x7 and a can on it.

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/22/17 02:25 AM

I have looked at Savage models over the years and prefer them to the Marlins just because I can see the Savage sights much better. The Savage would likely be about $100 less than the Ruger too.

I took another look at the Ruger today. This one was priced $70 more than the same gun at the first store. Not sure the first one is still available.

22 magnum is still at the top of my want list but that list is subject to change from week to week -if not more frequently!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/22/17 04:28 AM

I want a CZ in .22 WMR so I can relate lol

No reason other than that is required. It's what's beautiful about this country, the liberty to get what you want simply because you want it (provided you can afford it and pass a background check).
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/22/17 05:33 AM

If you are asking this crew to talk you out of buying a gun, GOOD LUCK we love spending other peoples $ and our own for that matter.

Good reason, you don't have one so fill that empty spot in the colletction
Posted By: crash700

Re: Can someone give me a good reason... - 11/25/17 04:00 PM

I have one of the Ruger Americans in the standard rifle, not compact, and its fun to shoot as well as being quite accurate. I say go for it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum