Texas Hunting Forum

AR-15 accuracy all over the place

Posted By: ejj005

AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/06/17 06:55 AM

Took my new Bear Creek Arsenal to the range today in 6.5 Grendel. I had a bad experience with accuracy being as bad as being two close shots to each other and then not being able to find the shot on paper. The scope is in the same base/rings I had it in on another 6.5 grendel. So base was tightened to specs and the rings were same as before and bever had a problem.

I wrote BCA to see what they would do but after looking over it again at home I noticed my rear take down pin was about halfway out. Now I am thinking that is what caused all of this. Is that possible? Also it had problems feeding a couple of times. Ammo was quality, I had Hornady custom, hornady black and federal fusion.

Hoping it is something simple as I like the upper. It is an 18” barrel.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/06/17 11:49 AM

Yes, put the pin back in all the way, and try again.

Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct answer.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/06/17 01:18 PM

Yeah I felt pretty good about it when I found it....not to mention stupid. Hope thats all it is.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/06/17 09:01 PM

I doubt that was it, if the pin was in far enough to hold the upper and lower together. Many ARs have a lot of slop and play between upper and lower with no affect on accuracy.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/06/17 09:21 PM

Doubt it was the takedown pin. Id re-check the mount and scope.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/06/17 09:23 PM

I agree with sapper check rings and scope

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 02:46 AM

I double checked base. It was to spec. The scope and rings were never messed with. Took straight off my other gun and it shot great. Hoping the take down pin will do it. I was thinking the same thing how most of the time there is a lot of slop. Hoping it will do it though

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext
I doubt that was it, if the pin was in far enough to hold the upper and lower together. Many ARs have a lot of slop and play between upper and lower with no affect on accuracy.

And there's a polymer wedge made to take that slack up, alegedly improving consistent shooting..
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:21 AM

Accu Wedge is the name and all my ar have them.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

And there's a polymer wedge made to take that slack up, alegedly improving consistent shooting..

Key word being allegedly... Again, if the pin was in far enough to keep the upper from flopping forward and separating from the lower, then it had no affect. The scope is attached to the upper and the relationship and alignment of the scope with the barrel is constant, even if the upper wiggles in the lower a little. Think about it... if I separate the upper and lower completely, and then mate them back together, do I have to re-zero the scope?

There is something else going on with that rifle...

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:32 AM

I contacted Bear Creek through email last night. I have not had an email returned yet. Going to give it another shot and hope it is right. Thanks I will update. Probably have time to shoot on Friday hopefully

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 12:18 PM

Key word being allegedly... Again, if the pin was in far enough to keep the upper from flopping forward and separating from the lower, then it had no affect. The scope is attached to the upper and the relationship and alignment of the scope with the barrel is constant, even if the upper wiggles in the lower a little. Think about it... if I separate the upper and lower completely, and then mate them back together, do I have to re-zero the scope?

Have you ever seen a bolt action rifle shoot with extremely loose action screws? I've seen several, and the results are terrible, with fliers all over the place. Scope in rings, rings attached to rail, all is tight, but it shoots like crap.

I've taken countless barreled actions out of stocks, and replaced them, applying 65 in/lbs, and they shoot great. I've split countless AR-15 and AR-10 rifles to bore sight or clean, and once reassembled, they shoot great. But they will not shoot well if the barreled action, or the upper is loose.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 01:11 PM

Have you ever seen a bolt action rifle shoot with extremely loose action screws? I've seen several, and the results are terrible, with fliers all over the place. Scope in rings, rings attached to rail, all is tight, but it shoots like crap.

I've taken countless barreled actions out of stocks, and replaced them, applying 65 in/lbs, and they shoot great. I've split countless AR-15 and AR-10 rifles to bore sight or clean, and once reassembled, they shoot great. But they will not shoot well if the barreled action, or the upper is loose.

Go grab an AR. With the rear pin fully in, wiggle the upper and notice the play. Now pull the rear pin halfway out, where it is still part way through the rear lug holding the rifle, but is not all the way through to where it is flush on the outside of the receiver... wiggle the receiver.. notice any difference in play?

Many GI Joes shoot expert every year with issued, rattle trap M4s and M16s. Slop between the receivers does not create the scenario of two close shots followed by one off the paper in an AR 15. Of course he should put the pin back in fully and try that... horses before zebras and all, but I bet there is something else going on.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 01:21 PM

just read this on the AR-15 Forum

Run away from bear creek, they are the same junk under a different name. anyone who can offer a "full feature ar15" for under $500 needs to be looked at with extreme skepticism

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 01:33 PM

Of course he should put the pin back in fully and try that... horses before zebras and all, but I bet there is something else going on.

Nooowww, you've caught up. Seems like I said that a couple of days ago.

It costs zero dollars to put the pin back in. That is step number 1. If the rifle STILL doesn't shoot, then move onto rings, scope, ammo.

This place is exhausting sometimes.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 01:35 PM

_________________________ up

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 01:50 PM

Thing is I know scope and rings are good...so if it wont shoot with the three types of ammunition that I listed this upper is gone. Hopefully they honor something or at least check it out for me. I have read many good reviews thats why I took a chance. But I know a lot of time you get what you pay for

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 02:22 PM

I did go to the website, they are not really a lowball set up, the rifles look really good.

You will figure it our, if not send it back or maybe let Derrick at Horizon Rifles there in College Station look it over.

you will be good

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 02:36 PM

To follow on: Put the pin back in. Check clearance between gas block and hand guard. Go shoot it again.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 03:09 PM

Of course he should put the pin back in fully and try that... horses before zebras and all, but I bet there is something else going on.

It costs zero dollars to put the pin back in. That is step number 1. If the rifle STILL doesn't shoot, then move onto rings, scope, ammo.

You are correct that it is a zero dollar correction... but I wouldn't bet next weeks paycheck that it will be the fix.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:05 PM

You are correct that it is a zero dollar correction... but I wouldn't bet next weeks paycheck that it will be the fix.

That's fine, but should he skip it? Would you skip it?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:35 PM

What kind of scope? Fix the pin and shoot a few. If still bad, put the scope back on the other gun and see if that gun still shoots well.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter
To follow on: Put the pin back in. Check clearance between gas block and hand guard. Go shoot it again.

Good call on gas block possibly touching rail

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Good call on gas block possibly touching rail

The little gem comes from experience my man.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 05:50 PM

Scope is a Vortex PST Gen 1 4-16X. I already contacted warranty department at BCA and they sent me a return label already and said they would ship me another upper. Going to try the pin and I will check gas block clearance just in case. Other than that I will just send it back to them and hope for the best.
Posted By: KK30RAR

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 06:35 PM

Hope for the best is right a friend of mine is on this third 6.5 barrel from them and the third shoots a great group of 8in or more at 100 yds with good ammo just like the first two . There's a reason their so quick to do returns . There's you tube videos with bore scopes of their barrels check them out .

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/07/17 07:35 PM

That's fine, but should he skip it? Would you skip it?

Did I ever say to skip it? I just wouldn't bet the farm on that being the answer.
Posted By: Horton_dallas

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/08/17 12:35 PM

Had a similar experience with my bca barrel as well. 18” 6.5 Grendel 1-8 5R Stainless. Best group I got out of it was 3.5” at 100yds. Tried hornady Black, federal fusion and American Eagle 90gr. Spoke with Frank from
Bca and he immediately suggested replacing the barrel. He told me that they are getting well under moa groups and that the 1” advertised was allowing for shooter error. BCA has been extremely helpful so far, hopefully the next barrel shoots better.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/10/17 10:04 PM

Alright the upper is in the mail. Shot today and no better at all. Glad I checked it out with the pin all the way. Thanks for the help so far. Will keep yall updated when i get a new upper back in.
Posted By: ASIC777

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/11/17 01:29 AM

Guessing from the comments it was not a free floated barrel? Too many internet snipers claiming 1 moa from their tactical cool setups with barrels that are neither HBAR profile or free floated. Throw them on a sand bag or with a sling attached and they shoot patterns as the barrel warms or sling tension changes as the hand guards interact with the barrel.
Posted By: Busheler

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/11/17 05:01 PM

Krunchentickers are VERY simplistic,mechanically.

That being said,everything Vortex is more than suspect.

Hint..............
Posted By: yotehater

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/11/17 05:14 PM

I've seen barrel nuts come loose causing those kinds of issues. One or two shots fine then the gas tube gets moved.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/11/17 05:16 PM

I'd never "judge" ANY rifle,on a Vortex "finding"................

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 04:00 PM

I will stick the Vortex back on my other 6.5 G and see what happens....I dont think that ms the case but might as well rule it out.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 05:42 PM

It is easy to arrange a methodical approach,to remove culprits from the list of mechanics. Folks tend to procure glass with much emotion and give credit,where it assuredly is not due.

Hint...................

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:04 PM

I dont know why the last few statements have gave the impression that I am some sort of Vortex lover...yall seem to be pushig that idea pretty hard. I simply said it worked fine on my other rifle, that I didnt believe it to be that. I could completely be wrong and I know that without a doubt. But holy crap yall are pushing it like I have been arguing with yall...

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:07 PM

Only you,can control your Estrogen levels and the Emotion(s) generated.

Hardly a big deal,to prove an Optic,when diagnosing a sick platform.

Shoot more,Whine less.

Hint.............

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:24 PM

Surely you are on the wrong post. I am far from whining...it seems like the logical thing to do when im under a 30 day warranty, i hear other people have had the same issue, and used an optic that was proven on another rifle.

Get it.....

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:26 PM

I miss nothing. Hint.

You are the one asking questions...not me.

Re-hint.

Slow your roll,be methodical,instead of making crazy moves less any reasoning.

Re-re-hint...........
Posted By: Navasot

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:26 PM

Reset the rail then reset the scope... highly doubt anything is actually wrong with the scope especially if your only shooting at 100yrds.. no scope is that bad

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:29 PM

Oh my.

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Hint............

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:29 PM

Thank you Navasot and that is what I did before I shot yesterday. The grouping was still the same. Appreciate the advice.

I did come here and ask questions and actually received non smart [censored] answers from several people. Also followed their advice. Thank you for trying to help Im sure I was mistaking your tone. Hard to tell through text.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:30 PM

Oh yeah

Hint.........................

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:32 PM

1000 Words Subtle HINT.

I've 100's of scopes and fail more than you could begin to fathom.

Hint.............

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:33 PM

Glass is ALWAYS suspect...until proven not to be.

Hint...........

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:34 PM

As a not so curious aside...I've seen NIB Vortex right outta da' box,be incapable of establishing or holding a 100yd zero,due mechanics.

Hint............
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:36 PM

WTF is this "Hint" sh-- that dum nuts uses?

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:39 PM

Not everyone can take a hint.

Hint............

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:45 PM

Im sure you are very smart...no friends but at least you are smart...

Man Im not saying the scope is not at fault. Im simply saying it was working before...I know it still needs to be checked. But when other people tell me they had the same issues with the same upper and I am at the end of my 30 day warranty. I am going to allow BCA to send me a new upper and hope for the best. Yes I will be testingthe scope on my other rifle that I know shoots. So thanks for all the good advice.

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:47 PM

Mailing parts around the Country,due to a POS scope doing what they tend to do...is pretty funny.

Bless your heart.

Hint...........

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:56 PM

Hint.............

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:56 PM

When I get another upper in that was not shipped on my dime...I will put my SWFA 10x42 on it if the Vortex does it again. I hope you are not right but it is possible that you are. Thanks for the great advice

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 06:59 PM

Folks are quick to put emotion in optics,rather than prove mechanics...which is something I'll never understand...........

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 07:00 PM

Not necessarily emotion on my part but I see what you are saying. Thats why I said a million times I understand it could be the scope. Anything mechanical can fail...

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/12/17 07:01 PM

Vortex is farrrrr more reliable at failure,than most.

Hint..............

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/13/17 12:34 AM

Busheler does have GREAT taste in rifles, and unlike me he seems to use the chit out of them. I trust his experience.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/13/17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Busheler
Vortex is farrrrr more reliable at failure,than most.

Hint..............

Some folk have enough time & money to start sighting in our rifles at 1200 yards and work our way closer, and having a crappy scope makes it more fun. Others like to sight our rifles in at 12 yards and call it a day. Personally I like crappy scopes because I don't have to look for the reason or excuse when I miss. Then again, I use a Redman chain saw because they mold the color completely through their plastic. This morning I agree with BO, "bring it on"
Posted By: JCB

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/13/17 09:05 PM

Busheler does have GREAT taste in rifles, and unlike me he seems to use the chit out of them. I trust his experience.

Is he knowledgeable??? Probably
Does he have some great pics??? Absolutely
Nice rifles??? A few of them
Full of himself??? Without question!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/14/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB

An old saying comes to mind while reading his posts.

"I wish I could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth". roflmao
Posted By: patriot07

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/14/17 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz

"I wish I could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth". roflmao
My wife teaches 8th grade. About a month ago, she literally heard one student tell another, "If I wanted to kill myself, I'd climb up to your ego and jump down to your IQ." I thought it was hilarious. That's Busheler in a nutshell.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: AR-15 accuracy all over the place - 11/14/17 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: Grizz

My wife teaches 8th grade. About a month ago, she literally heard one student tell another, "If I wanted to kill myself, I'd climb up to your ego and jump down to your IQ." I thought it was hilarious. That's Busheler in a nutshell.

You forgot the "Hint....." loser8
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum