Texas Hunting Forum

Additional homeowners insurance for firearms

Posted By: Texas Dan

Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 10/31/17 03:42 PM

I finally got around to checking my homeowners insurance policy to see how it would cover firearm theft and learned it would only pay $2000. For another $155 per year, I get $10K of firearm coverage that protects for theft both at and away from home with no deductible.

Seems like a no-brainier to me.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 10/31/17 03:46 PM

what company?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 10/31/17 03:50 PM

Correct. Most standard homeowner policies cover a few thousand dollars. You have to add a rider or an additional clause for more value.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 10/31/17 04:04 PM

You should look into more gun specific insurers. I used to be an NRA and it comes with like $5k, or something like that, of gun insurance with the membership and additional insurance seemed affordable through the same policy.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 10/31/17 06:30 PM

Some will need more than $5,000 coverage, like Big Fitz
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 10/31/17 11:39 PM

I will need more insurance when uncle Buzz starts gifting me some of those high dollar custom rifles! banana2
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 11/01/17 01:45 AM

$2500 or $5,000 is the freebie for all NRA members.
The company who offers that insurance will go to $350,000+ for those of you who need it.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 11/01/17 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
what company?

Allstate
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 11/02/17 09:52 AM

Good topic. I'll have to check my policy. Thanks Texas Dan for bringing this up. up
Posted By: Dan S.

Re: Additional homeowners insurance for firearms - 11/02/17 04:58 PM

Having fought insurance companies for my customers over the years here is some advice. Have all your arms serial numbers and store them in a safe place. Meet with your agent and agree on a appraised price for each firearm. At the same time if possible, take a picture of it and write the agreed upon appraised price on it. Last but not least, make sure your firearm is covered outside of your home. Some insurers only cover them in your home. Farmers insurance in my opinion is the worst. In all cases, your agent is your friend. If they fight the main office for you things usually come out better. Remember, most insurance companies look for any excuse to save themselves money.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum