Texas Hunting Forum

Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 04:46 PM

Where do I start. I found a couple places who will do all the paperwork for you as long as you buy the suppressor from them $250. They keep the $50 for doing it.

I would like a suppressor I can screw on several rifles .223 - 6.5 Creedmoor . straight screw on, not a QD. Bolt guns only now.

suggestions? I'm leaning toward Shark Suppressors and Rifle Gear now because Shark makes good stuff, Rifle Gear carries all the major brands. Both do all the paper work.

Thanks for any suggestions, I want the best $$ can buy.

BTW, I will leave all my guns to my daughter when I croak, will this have any effect on what I do in this process? I like "easy"
Posted By: dredd

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 05:14 PM

Make sure you put your daughter on your trust. That should take care of it.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 05:53 PM

I'm not clear what "do all the paperwork for you" means. Are you saying they will fill out the NFA paperwork and only charge you 50$? I only have purchased from silencershop in Austin but I never had to fill any paperwork out. Heck I bought all my suppressors online and sent them my trust info via email. They did the rest and didn't charge me a penny extra. I wouldn't pay anyone extra to do any paperwork for me for an individual item submission.

Now if you are talking about them setting up the trust that is a little different. For ensuring your items can easily be given to your daughter putting her on the trust would be the best idea. This means she will have to submit fingerprints and photographs each time you buy an NFA item.
Posted By: biggerD

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 05:57 PM

Buzzsaw reach out to John Storrie in Denton. He was very helpful and will let you know what the must haves are.

I got a trust done up then purchased my stamp from silencer shop. Went to see him and we did the rest from his silencer shop kiosk. The kiosks did my fingerprints and we got my passport photo all loaded up from that thing.

http://class3store.com/
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 06:09 PM

David is a good man, and builds a very good suppressor. I've been using his Tiger Shark for 5 years, and it's damned heavy, at 26 ounces. It's rated for .300 Win Mag, so when I use it on my short actions, it is very quiet.

I want a Silencerco Omega only because it is shorter and lighter.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 06:28 PM

My suggestion is buy from Silencer Shop...they will run all the paperwork for you and guide you along. Price should be the least important factor because you will own it forever. Don't buy a long, heavy silencer, after shooting it a couple times you will wish you had a shorter, lighter one. AAC, Thunderbeast, and Silencerco are all good brands.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 08:29 PM

I bought a Titanium SAS Arbiter. I only have the one but I love it and won't shoot without it.

EuroOptic has them on sale right now. Doubt you can find another Titanium at an aluminum price.
https://www.eurooptic.com/sas-arbiter-30-titanium.aspx
Posted By: Judd

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 08:47 PM

I've got the little Shark from David. I like it but I think I want a Templar Nemesis, smaller and lighter...are you seeing the pattern here Buzz?

Get the lightest one you can find because a year from now there will be one lighter you'll want.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 09:07 PM

I just started using my omega and I like. Just have to get a few more host
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 09:23 PM

The Dead Air TI direct thread is also one that would work well for your intended use.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Don't buy a long, heavy silencer, after shooting it a couple times you will wish you had a shorter, lighter one.

What he said.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/29/17 11:57 PM

I've got two Thunder Beast 30P-1 and a Dakota Silencer Varminter 3.0 made by Mack Brothers. All three are Titanium,the Thunder Beast weigh 19 ounces,and the DS Varminter 3.0 weighs 17 ounces. They are all Direct Thread - 30 caliber cans,and I use them on everything from 223 - 300 WM.

I like the Varminter 3.0 the best,it's quieter,lighter,and can be taken apart for cleaning. No matter what everyone says,Centerfire suppressors get dirty as hell,they just don't get the lead build up like Rimfire suppressors.

Buzz,You shouldn't have to pay the dealer a dime for doing the paperwork. That's their job!
I had to pay a transfer fee on my Dakota Silencer can,but Dakota Silencer deducted the transfer fee from the price of the suppressor,so it ended up costing me the same price.

FYI,If you buy a suppressor from a dealer that's not local,not only will there be a transfer fee,the wait time is doubled. The BATFE has to approve of the dealer to dealer transfer,then you have to wait for your stamp to get approved.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 12:06 AM

Great info guys, thank you !!!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 12:08 AM

I hope you know that once you buy one you'll end up buying more.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly

FYI,If you buy a suppressor from a dealer that's not local,not only will there be a transfer fee,the wait time is doubled. The BATFE has to approve of the dealer to dealer transfer,then you have to wait for your stamp to get approved.

And by local, he means out of state. wink
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 01:53 AM

I own quite a few, I am definitely a fan of lighter/shorter for hunting rifles.

Having said that, I feel the best option for "one can" is a midsized unit, like 7"
Something like the Dead Air Sandman S is a good all around can.

I test several a month and there just isnt that much difference in sound supression between similiar sized cans. Definitely a fan of taper mounts as they offer both precision repeatability and multi gun / mount options such as flash surpessor or brake for when not using the can (god forbid)

Silencer Shop is good people
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 01:57 AM

I've dealt with both Capitol Armory and SilencerShop and both were smooth. Both were done before the changes in the law,

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

Not doubled. Added 2.5 months to mine to go from Colorado at Mile High Shooting to Morgan at Dallas Shooting. Took me 15 months to get mine total. Worth it

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/30/17 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Originally Posted By: Judd

Not doubled. Added 2.5 months to mine to go from Colorado at Mile High Shooting to Morgan at Dallas Shooting. Took me 15 months to get mine total. Worth it

The time will depend on the BATFE backlog. The wait times when I bought this can were around 4 month's,it was close to 9 month's before I got my stamp. It took right at 5 month's for my local FFL to receive the transfer from Dakota Silencer.

I bought both of my Thunder Beast 30P-1's locally,and had the stamps in 3 1/2 month's.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 01:49 AM

Since you don't want QD look for a TOMB mount by TBAC or SAS. They thread onto a muzzle brake

Have multiple suppressors from both anc can't say which is better. TBAC has one of the best reputations for customer service in the industry but I doubt you'll need it.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 01:53 AM

crappy pic, I'll try to get the muzzle OD. I think this one is too small to be threaded for brake

This one should be easy?

Posted By: Dien

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 02:54 AM

My Kimber is a pencil barrel. I had SAS make a custom titanium brake to fit it. Rifle is less then 5lbs from factory.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
crappy pic, I'll try to get the muzzle OD. I think this one is too small to be threaded for brake

This one should be easy?

Morgan threaded my Sakos 1/2" and then I have a 1/2 to 5/8 adapter. No problem. I didn't want brakes though just direct thread.
Posted By: TCB

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 12:07 PM

My Savage is a 1/2 x 28 thread and works great with a YHM suppressor. I need to get another one for my son's Creedmoor so I can have my rifle back.
Posted By: fast88

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I've dealt with both Capitol Armory and SilencerShop and both were smooth. Both were done before the changes in the law,

This. I preferred Capitol armory due to a more personal feel and they actually offer financing if you need it.

I own 4 suppressors and I would definitely suggest shorter and lighter. I went with the Silencer Co Omega, it is outstanding

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 06:32 PM

So, on most of these, you need to buy the suppressor at the time you send your form in?

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
So, on most of these, you need to buy the suppressor at the time you send your form in?

Read this:
https://www.silencershop.com/how-to-buy-a-silencer

Step 1 is buy the suppressor.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 10:05 PM

I have 7 suppressors on my trust, most are Silencerco, including 2 Omegas. Good friend has 5 on his trust, SAS Barricade, Dead Air Sandman S, Thunderbeast Ultra 7 and a couple more. We shoot together a lot so I get to hear his all the time. Both my son and another friend have the Dead Air Sandmand TI, and for my money that is the best deal out there if you are looking for a direct thread, precision rifle can. Mid size and weight, really good suppression and very nice tone. It is a very solidly built can. Plus, warranty and customer service from Dead Air can't be beat. If I buy another can that is what it will be.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 10/31/17 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
I have 7 suppressors on my trust, most are Silencerco, including 2 Omegas. Good friend has 5 on his trust, SAS Barricade, Dead Air Sandman S, Thunderbeast Ultra 7 and a couple more. We shoot together a lot so I get to hear his all the time. Both my son and another friend have the Dead Air Sandmand TI, and for my money that is the best deal out there if you are looking for a direct thread, precision rifle can. Mid size and weight, really good suppression and very nice tone. It is a very solidly built can. Plus, warranty and customer service from Dead Air can't be beat. If I buy another can that is what it will be.

I will look into those, thank you for posting that comparison. up

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/01/17 02:57 PM

Don't get me wrong JG, the Omega, Sandman S, Barricade, Ultra 7 are all great cans, a guy would not go wrong with any of them. But all of them work off a QD system, and Buzz specified a direct thread. Well, technically the Omega comes with a direct thread mount that can be used in place of the ASR mount, so it could be considered a direct thread can as well, but that isn't how most folks use it. I have 2 Omegas, really like them, and use them on my precision rifles. But I am just a country boy and don't shoot comps or anything.

Sandman TI is a legit can any way you slice it though if you are looking for DT. IMO price vs overall quality on it is really hard to beat. It is a 5/8x24 thread though, so if you were going to run it on something threaded 1/2x28 you will need and adaptor.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/01/17 03:45 PM

I only use direct thread, I feel more confident in it. And I do use a 5/8" 24 for all the bolt actions, and also have a 1/2" 28 for the AR-15.

I only use my suppressor for hunting, so every week I've got a suppressed rifle next to me. Love the quiet, would like to get lighter than 26 ounces, shorter than 10", and narrower than 1 5/8".

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/01/17 06:36 PM

The only time I shoot without a can is if I have to take one off to use my Magnetospeed. Other than that I always have one on every rifle I shoot. My loads are tuned for them, rifles zeroed for them.

Everyone has a different set of wants and needs though, I understand that. But ultimately, every rifle I have I consider a hunting rifle. I guess that is just my outlook on it. Even all my LR shooting is geared that direction. I don't plan on shooting a deer at 1K+. But practicing out there sure makes those 500-600 shots lots easier and makes me learn. I think shooting the comps would be lots of fun, I just don't have the time or resources for it. Plus being old with bad eyes and reflexes I would probably suck at it.

When I just had 1 or 2 cans they just rotated though a few different rifles and I still had plenty of rifles I shot without suppression. But as I got more cans, then they started getting dedicated to just 1 or 2 hosts each and didn't move so much.

My daughter won't shoot a rifle without a suppressor on it. She is 9, it is one of her hard and fast rules, LMAO!

My first can was a Harvester, it was all I had the money for at the time. DT, and light, but really long. So-so suppression. Now days it just pretty much lives on my sons 270, and sometimes his 22-250. It is a good can for both of those applications. Not what I would want on a rifle that saw heavy rates of fire and high temps though. That isn't what it was made for. Sandman TI was actually designed with PRS style shooting in mind. Using the direct thread adaptor on the Omega lightens it up by a few ounces too, and it is not heavy to begin with. It is a little fatter at 1.58 or something like that, but still nice and short. It can be even shorter if you take off the anchor brake on the muzzle end and replace it with the flat endcap. Anchor brake helps with recoil though.

One other thing about QD mounts. I'm not sure how much difference it really makes, but most QD systems use a brake. Supposedly with the brake inside the can, the brake diverts gases out to the sides of the can and helps prolong the life of your blast baffle. IDK how many rounds it takes to kill a blast baffle, but I bet it is a heck of a lot. So who knows if there is any real world difference there.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/01/17 11:43 PM

Some guys compete with a supressor. I don't, because of two reasons.

1. Not everyone is supressed, so you have to wear ear pro anyway.
2. I run a 24" barrel on that rifle, and another 10" of suppressor makes it not very maneuverable. And we have to maneuver them through some strange things.

My 7 Rem Mag was load developed without the can, and it has a 26" barrel anyway. So that's really the only rifle I hunt with I don't put the can on. But for short to medium range hunting, I always have the can on. So about 45 weeks a year, I've got a rifle next to me with a supressor on the end.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/02/17 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX
The only time I shoot without a can is if I have to take one off to use my Magnetospeed. Other than that I always have one on every rifle I shoot. My loads are tuned for them, rifles zeroed for them.

I mount my Magnetospeed V3 on my suppressor's when I do load testing. Mine came with a silicone strap that's made for taking the heat away from the nylon strap of the bayonet. It has very little effect on my POI on the targets.

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/02/17 01:12 PM

Yeah, I totally understand that JG. Different situations. Mostly I shoot alone, or with a few others guys who are also running suppressed.

Magnetospeed comes in 2 versions, or at least it used to. The more expensive one can be used with a can. The cheaper one (the one I have, because I didn't know there was a difference until after I bought it), doesn't have the right offsets built into the bayonet. Lesson learned for me. If you want to use it with a can, buy the more expensive one. In my defense though, when I bought it I didn't have my first can yet, and didn't realize it was going to be an issue.
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 11/04/17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
I bought a Titanium SAS Arbiter. I only have the one but I love it and won't shoot without it.

EuroOptic has them on sale right now. Doubt you can find another Titanium at an aluminum price.
https://www.eurooptic.com/sas-arbiter-30-titanium.aspx

I have the SAS Reaper TI and I love it as well ... I have numerous cans
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Just drank a glass of Suppressor Kool Aid - 12/02/17 11:25 PM

Buzz. Look at the SilencerCo Hybrid. It can be used on both Rifles and Pistols. and you can change the endcap to accommodate multiple threads for direct threading. The Hybrid is rated down to 16” barrels for .45–70 GOV and .458 SOCOM and down to 18” barrels for all magnum calibers up to .338 Lapua Magnum. I use it on a 9mm pistol and from my 5.56 up to my 45-70 Gov.

And it is light at 17 oz. Wish that was my first purchase. It is for sure the last one I will be getting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum