Texas Hunting Forum

Not proud to admit it, but I paid it..

Posted By: T Bone

Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/28/17 06:32 PM

$35 + tax for a LTC transfer at Euless Guns & Ammo.. I had a meltdown lapse in memory when I checked out at PSA and put them instead of DFW Shooting Sports as the local FFL for the transfer.. This place is fairly close to the house but I never go in there.. The guy that "helped" me reeked of cigarette smoke and had the customer service talent 1/2 rung above a box of hammers..

I remember filing away in the back of my peanut head that this place was pretty much useless.. Had a reminder of why today..
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/28/17 09:32 PM

Don't feel bad. I used Academy in Grapevine a while back without checking to see what their fee would be...I assumed it would be reasonable. It was forty freekin dollars---NEVER again!!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/28/17 09:48 PM

If it makes everyone feel better, I purchased a LH Tikka .308 from Chad, and had him ship it to Healdsburg California. The plan was for my stepson and I to go together to pick it up, for his graduation present. And that's what we did, drove to the gun shop and he did not know why. They placed the box on the counter and he picked it up, immediately loving it. I said "that's yours, and it'll last you forever".

I got out of there for $95. But that boy's elation was worth it, and more.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/28/17 10:32 PM

Frisco gun Club
$25 for Members
$50 non-member

be sure to watch them, they charged me $50 on second to last Transfer, plus they take too long to log it in and call when your gun is in.

I now use a buddy, good people.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/28/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
If it makes everyone feel better, I purchased a LH Tikka .308 from Chad, and had him ship it to Healdsburg California. The plan was for my stepson and I to go together to pick it up, for his graduation present. And that's what we did, drove to the gun shop and he did not know why. They placed the box on the counter and he picked it up, immediately loving it. I said "that's yours, and it'll last you forever".

wth, did you have a steak & lobster?
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 12:31 AM

I got flamed the last time I complained about a company's FFL fee. What you're quoted was a fraction of what I was quoted.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 12:40 AM

Last time I used Lewisville Pawn, $15 cash $20 CC.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 12:42 AM

Morgan at Dallas Shooting Supplies. Great price and you support a fellow bird member
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 12:47 AM

I use ammo depot in caddo mills. $20
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 01:17 AM

Shameless plug but if you are in the Little Elm area I charge $15 for CHL or $20 without
Posted By: maxscm

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 01:39 AM

I asked a local New Gun shop how much they were going to charge for Transfers and the Owner Said $20 minimum or 10% of the price of the Gun, Which ever was Higher. I said thanks and went Out the Door and have never been Back.
Could you imagine transferring a Custom $2500-$3000 Gun at a 10% Transfer Fee!!
Oh BTW,
He went Out Of business in 4 Months. Go Figure.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: maxscm
I asked a local New Gun shop how much they were going to charge for Transfers and the Owner Said $20 minimum or 10% of the price of the Gun, Which ever was Higher. I said thanks and went Out the Door and have never been Back.
Oh BTW,
He doesn't even have access to the price of the gun. Why would he do that?

I'd just tell him the gun cost $50. Got a great deal on it. What a stupid policy. It certainly doesn't cost more to transfer a more expensive gun.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Last time I used Lewisville Pawn, $15 cash $20 CC.

Used to be $10. Dang.

Does that Pawn Shop and the employees remind you of Pulp Fiction?
Posted By: Judd

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 01:53 AM

I've used Txgunner308 several times, he's in Carrollton and a good dude.

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 02:23 AM

Oh BTW,

Good.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 02:33 AM

Transfers are easy money. Blows my mind what some outfits charge.

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 02:44 AM

The butthead at the pawn shop in Decatur refused to receive a firearm from a private seller for me several years ago...tried to tell me it was illegal. He hasn't seen my credit card since.
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 04:53 AM

My local ACE Hdwr in Crosby charges $20.00
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

wth, did you have a steak & lobster?

Did you miss the word "California".

Having a gun shop at all is a feat in and of itself. Those guys have extra rules they have to follow, and pay extra fees to the state. I told them we (Texans) call this Comifornia. They laughed and said they did too. They congratulated me for living in "a free state".
Posted By: TDK

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 02:43 PM

Oh BTW,

I'm usually all about people in the industry charging according to their time invested, in doing that my prices are $40 or so, high enough that most people go elsewhere. The 10% idea is one of the dumbest ideas I've heard.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Transfers are easy money. Blows my mind what some outfits charge.

Incredibly easy. But if you treat it like a business and not a hobby you have to charge according to time invested. So if you have 30min invested with a shop rate of $80 an hr...
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 03:40 PM

I don't remember the dealer, but one in Lubbock and another in El Paso charge $100 per gun.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 03:59 PM

Several places here in Slidell charge me 25$ and I feel that's fair for both of us!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/29/17 05:24 PM

FWIW, it is a pain in the AZZ if you work from home, people in and out, plus the paperwork. Its worth $25 to me

I will be using BCJ he's close to me
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/30/17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
$35 + tax for a LTC transfer at Euless Guns & Ammo.. I had a meltdown lapse in memory when I checked out at PSA and put them instead of DFW Shooting Sports as the local FFL for the transfer.. This place is fairly close to the house but I never go in there.. The guy that "helped" me reeked of cigarette smoke and had the customer service talent 1/2 rung above a box of hammers

When I lived in Euless I was screwed by Euless Guns & Ammo, never went back. I went in DFW Shooting sports once and felt un-welcome because I had my young son with me. I had the boy right at my side and the guy tells me, "don't let him touch anything". I left and haven't been back.
Posted By: Deer_Demolisher

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/30/17 03:34 PM

East Dallas Armory north of White Rock Lake is $10 with a LTC, $15 without.
He's a good guy, calls as soon as the firearm comes in and is very flexible when arranging a time to meet.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/30/17 07:12 PM

One thing about using an actual brick ad mortar FFL is that they are always there to receive it. High dollar or time sensitive stuff goes through them.

Sure they are expensive compared to some but cheaper then others. Not really their fault you didn't ask how much first.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/31/17 01:30 AM

Appreciate everyone's input and I've got local options that are quite a bit less than the one I mistakenly chose this time..

Originally Posted By: Dien
One thing about using an actual brick ad mortar FFL is that they are always there to receive it. High dollar or time sensitive stuff goes through them.

Sure they are expensive compared to some but cheaper then others. Not really their fault you didn't ask how much first.

I've got several other FFL's in the area that are cheaper, like I said earlier this was a PSA to let everyone know that 1) their FFL transfer fee for a LTC transfer is high and 2) the customer service was somewhere between bad & non-existent..
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Not proud to admit it, but I paid it.. - 10/31/17 02:37 PM

Free out here in the country if it's for your personal use; I charge a little if someone is buying and selling to make a profit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum