Texas Hunting Forum

Suppressor on a 50 BMG

Posted By: BCJ

Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 02:30 AM

Ever wondered what a suppressor sounds like on a 50BMG?

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 02:39 AM

I know what shooting an M2 50 cal on full auto sounds like with no hearing protection and its not pleasant. roflmao
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 04:13 AM

I almost bought a suppressor for my 50 shortly after I got it, decided a good set of ear muffs and ear plugs was a lot less expensive.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I know what shooting an M2 50 cal on full auto sounds like with no hearing protection and its not pleasant. roflmao

What? WHAT? WHAT WAS THAT?

wink
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
I almost bought a suppressor for my 50 shortly after I got it, decided a good set of ear muffs and ear plugs was a lot less expensive.

It's a wonder and of you combat veterans can hear a damn thing. I taught an Artie soldier, out of Hood a couple years ago. He said they had to listen to the radio, so they couldn't use their ear pro.eek2

I said that's ridiculous, ear pro is made with radio mics inside.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 10:23 PM

I want one. Not sure what for, but I want one.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: kmon1

It's a wonder and of you combat veterans can hear a damn thing. I taught an Artie soldier, out of Hood a couple years ago. He said they had to listen to the radio, so they couldn't use their ear pro.eek2

I said that's ridiculous, ear pro is made with radio mics inside.
we had headsets in our vehicles but each vehicle should have like 5 or 6 headsets we maybe had 3 per vehicle that worked. These headsets were usually 3-4 yrs old and been through multiple sets of hands getting passed from unit to unit. Very hard to get anything fixed while deployed. You send things off and get them back months later or never. I was in 5 IED incidents while in a vehicle. 4 of those times I had bose noise canceling head sets on one time I had nothing and that was pretty damn loud. One thing about shooting guns when your adrenaline is rushing is it doesn’t seem to hurt your ears heck many times I barely remember hearing the shots.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/23/17 11:40 PM

^^I completely understand. But once the damage is done, it's done. Sometimes it shows right away, sometimes it doesn't show for a long time.

I'm sure you know all that, though.
Posted By: chongo

Re: Suppressor on a 50 BMG - 10/30/17 10:10 PM

We had headsets but riding up in the gun, always got the dang cord wrapped around me. Quit wearing the headset. Tried foam ear pro but couldn't hear guys in the truck or hear the radio when I needed to. Said the heck with it. During my time, 03,04,05 I'm not sure electronic ear pro was around.

Sure would have been nice to have something when a dumbass tanker fired his main gun even with my truck 15 feet away. That, IED's and an RPG to our side hurt, shooting the .50 never hurt at the time, though I'm sure damage was done.

From audiogram at enlistment to EAS I lost almost 35% in the left and over 50% in the right. Suppressors and elec. ear pro sure would have been nice!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum