Texas Hunting Forum

USPS Money orders??

Posted By: Buzzsaw

USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 12:45 PM

Is there anyway to get scammed by somebody paying with them?
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 01:22 PM

I wouldn't think with a US Postal Service Money order. One thing, they are unable to print them in dollar amounts exceeding $1000.00. Be certain to inspect it before cashing it and look for the water marks.

Posted By: Choctaw

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 01:24 PM

I've been buying and selling guns on the internet ever since there was an internet. I have never had one issue with USPS money orders.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 01:28 PM

Thanks Gents!
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 01:29 PM

They can be counterfeited just as currency can be, but it is uncommon.

A bank cashier’s check is another reliable payment method or a wire transfer of funds is the most secure for larger amounts and usually less hassle for the other person.

Make sure the funds clear before shipping.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 01:52 PM

Anything can be counterfeited, but USPS money order is pretty low risk.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 02:28 PM

I believe USPS has a website where you can verify a MO by serial number.
Posted By: Dien

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 02:41 PM

There's an 1-800 number you can call to verify the information on the USPS MO. They are the preferred choice for most trade forums.
Posted By: Cast

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 03:37 PM

They are not accepted as 'good funds' in a legal transaction. Too much fraud and fakes. Verify it before accepting.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 04:18 PM

Verify and wait for it to clear. One of the scams is that they give you the money order, which they have already cancelled on the back-end and gotten their refund. Basically like stopping payment on a check.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 05:12 PM

It's 2017. There is no reason to accept money orders, checks, cashiers checks, or any form of payment that there is a chance of faking.

Bank wire, cash, or online payment = No worries.
Posted By: Judd

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/17/17 11:28 PM

I’ve had trouble with larger amounts...meaning on two occasions I’ve been told to come back later when they had more money in the drawers. I won’t accept them now...bank check, PayPal, etc.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/20/17 01:15 PM

Can they be faked .... Yes but its uncommon, I have never had or heard of an issue with USPS money orders - Now western union money orders have been known to be faked and canceled before spending.

One thing though..... Cashiers checks are faked quite often from what I understand
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: USPS Money orders?? - 10/20/17 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: deewayne2003
Can they be faked .... Yes but its uncommon, I have never had or heard of an issue with USPS money orders - Now western union money orders have been known to be faked and canceled before spending.

One thing though..... Cashiers checks are faked quite often from what I understand

Cashier checks are indeed counterfeitered and I would not accept.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum