Texas Hunting Forum

Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28

Posted By: EasyMoney

Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 02:43 AM

im Starting the search for my next rifle and I’ve kinda iinterested in the nosler 26 or 28. I’m not sure where they would fit in with what I already have. I’m currently shooting 6mm 308 and 300wm but I have narrowed it down the a new Christensen rifle but haven’t picked out a caliber. What are the real world opinions on the nosler 26 and nosler 28?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 02:45 AM

Between the two get a 28
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 02:54 AM

I went with the 28 myself with the new heavy bullets in mind and have not been disappointed.
It shoots the 195 and the 197gr better than I really expected.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 03:00 AM

Agree with above posts, get the 28
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 03:02 AM

28...had a 26 for 3 months...sold it to a friend...it shot lights out--went back to my 257 WBY, 6.5-284, and 264 win...didn't see what all the extra bark was for. Saying that I'm not a 7mm fan--but those are the choices--- now the 33 nosler me like....

Ed

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 03:59 AM

So the nosler 28 is close to the 7mm?

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:32 AM

The 28 Nosler is a 7mm, basically it is a 7mm mag with a little more powder room with the corresponding velocity increase and no belt.

The 26 Nosler is to the 264 Win Mag what the 28 Nosler is to the 7mm Remington Mag.

26 Nosler necked from .264 to .284 inches makes it a 28 Nosler
264 Win Mag necked from .264 to .284 inches makes it a 7mm Rem Mag.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: EasyMoney

If you are asking questions like this, I think you might be wasting your money. Have you done your research and made an objective decision that spending the extra money on a boutique round is worth it to accomplish your specific goals... or do you just want a Nosler round because it sounds cool?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Crews

If you are asking questions like this, I think you might be wasting your money. Have you done your research and made an objective decision that spending the extra money on a boutique round is worth it to accomplish your specific goals... or do you just want a Nosler round because it sounds cool?

Agreed.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Crews

Agreed.

Another +1.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:21 PM

Not really stuck on a particular round I just know I want to buy a Christensen rifle and seen they have the nosler rounds and started looking at the load data nosler has on their website and it got me interested. So I’m not following the new hot round on the market. I don’t typically buy into the newest latest craze but have heard some people’s opinons on it and sounded promising
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:32 PM

eeks333

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:35 PM

Also, look into the Christensen rifle quality. I have shot some of their rifles that were VERY accurate. I have also shot some of their $8K+ rifles that I wouldn't give you $100 for. And when you send the rifle back to them, they give you the run around about "accuracy guarantee" of this and that. I'll never own one, for sure. I also don't like bad mouthing a company on-line either. But when a customer of mine spends $8K on a dream rifle, and it shoots as bad as it did, and they treat my customer as poor as they did, I have no problem voicing my opinion.

If you want a carbon barrel, look into the Proof barrels. Their system of carbon wrapping barrels is much better and more consistent.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Also, look into the Christensen rifle quality. I have shot some of their rifles that were VERY accurate. I have also shot some of their $8K+ rifles that I wouldn't give you $100 for. And when you send the rifle back to them, they give you the run around about "accuracy guarantee" of this and that. I'll never own one, for sure. I also don't like bad mouthing a company on-line either. But when a customer of mine spends $8K on a dream rifle, and it shoots as bad as it did, and they treat my customer as poor as they did, I have no problem voicing my opinion.

If you want a carbon barrel, look into the Proof barrels. Their system of carbon wrapping barrels is much better and more consistent.
or just do a semi custom for the same price from someone reputable that can help you choose a caliber based on your needs rather than if it sounds cool or not.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:39 PM

I shot my buddies ridgeline in 6.5cm and it was very accurate and a good feeling rifle.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:41 PM

Not picking calibers cause they are “cool” or what not just curious on people’s real world opinons and what not.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 07:52 PM

Well, one of the baddest rounds I've ever seen is a 28 Nosler shooting the new Berger 195 grain EOL bullets. It is a stupid accurate round. And if you built a target rifle in it, this combo would be supersonic to well over 2000 yards. But it's going to cost about $4 a shot. Is the 28 Nosler a round for you, not sure. It depends on your application. I'd much rather have a 7-08 or something that's more "shootable" for hunting. You can shoot it with less recoil, less barrel heat build up, ammo is cheaper, and you can practice with it to get proficient with the rifle.

I did build a 7mm/300 Win Mag just so I could shoot the new Berger 195 EOL bullet, if that tells you anything. It's a game changer bullet. Necking down the standard 300 Win Mag case to 7mm (which is super easy) give you a case capacity of about 5 grains less powder than the 28 Nosler, and runs only about 60-80 fps slower. Not a bad trade off for about 1/3 the cost on ammo!

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 08:05 PM

Here's my thoughts about bigger rounds:

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6908673/1

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 08:09 PM

Well, one of the baddest rounds I've ever seen is a 28 Nosler shooting the new Berger 195 grain EOL bullets. It is a stupid accurate round. And if you built a target rifle in it, this combo would be supersonic to well over 2000 yards. But it's going to cost about $4 a shot. Is the 28 Nosler a round for you, not sure. It depends on your application. I'd much rather have a 7-08 or something that's more "shootable" for hunting. You can shoot it with less recoil, less barrel heat build up, ammo is cheaper, and you can practice with it to get proficient with the rifle.

I did build a 7mm/300 Win Mag just so I could shoot the new Berger 195 EOL bullet, if that tells you anything. It's a game changer bullet. Necking down the standard 300 Win Mag case to 7mm (which is super easy) give you a case capacity of about 5 grains less powder than the 28 Nosler, and runs only about 60-80 fps slower. Not a bad trade off for about 1/3 the cost on ammo!
all this 7-08 talk is making me curious. Might have to get one for my next bolt action.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 08:14 PM

7-08 is a good one. You can push a 162 grain bullet about 2650-2750 fps. It has good weight for hunting, and the bullets have high BC's for target shooting. It has a slight ballistic advantage over the 308. There's nothing wrong with a 308, even. I shoot a 308 by far the most of any caliber I have. A 168 A-max or 178 ELD-X would do fine for hunting in a 308. And a 6.5mm, like a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem is also good. It's hard to beat the 308 family of cases for basic hunting and target shooting.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 08:16 PM

Do it.

It's the short action cartridge I would pick, if I only had to pick one. It'll shoot small, shoot far, kill about anything, mow your grass, clean your dishes, and change the oil in your truck.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 08:18 PM

Posted By: 0808

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 09:22 PM

Check out the Fierce Rifles. John left Christensen to start fierce. I personally know people that shoot the 28 Nosler in Fierce Rifles that are well under .5” groups

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 09:29 PM

LOL! Here's my issue with Fierce, direct from their site:

"The FURY comes with a 1/2-inch group guarantee as do all Fierce rifles but does not come with the certified target. Certifying the accuracy is left up to the shooter. "
http://fiercearms.com/products/fury-models/fury-model

So tell me, exactly what IS a guarantee then, if you don't shoot it and KNOW that the rifle shoots? Again, another rifle sent out that was horribly bad. It was spraying rounds all over at 100 during my testing. Yes, we sent it back and they fixed it for my customer, which went fine. But how in the heck did it leave their shop with a 1/2" guarantee, and they never even shot the rifle? It took me several range trips and A LOT of custom ammo to realize we had a bad rifle. WTF!!?? Sorry, not on board with them either.

Posted By: MClark

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 10:22 PM

Barrel life is going to be poor with either of the Nosler rounds.
Don't know what Christensen charges to replace a barrel but you will likely need to toss a dollar or two into the rebarrel kitty every trigger pull.
If you just use it to hunt it I'd not an issue but start shooting paper and steel it won't last long.

M
Posted By: Maxlab

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/07/17 11:08 PM

I just picked up a 28 Nosler that I had Horizon Firearms build me on a Tikka Action. let's just say my 257 WBY and 6.5-284 aren't going to see much action this hunting season. I love everything about it, and it's a very accurate round.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/08/17 01:01 AM

I like those that come with a target from that gun, how else do they know they got it right. Remington for years advertised the M700 as the most accurate out of the box rifle (Horse Hockey) I bought a new one in those days that had a bur on the bolt face so large it would not chamber a round.

Just saying I agree with Chad on the accuracy guarantee, prove it and I might buy it.

As to the 28 Nosler, SCdogman on here has one and is shooting it well. Good round for hunting if you don't mind the extra cost of ammo for the bit more performance. The 7mmRUM has more speed but at a cost of even shorter barrel life and getting overbore enough to be finicky from the reports I have seen. Yes there is a point of diminishing returns in how much powder is used to push a bullet fast.

Like Judd says they make barrels while we sleep
Sometimes you want your guns like Ricky Bobby Want to go fast.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/08/17 01:17 AM

keep an eye on the classifieds here. You never know what might show up for sale.

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/08/17 02:32 AM

This is often what I think when sometimes I see a "guarantee"

[Linked Image]

From Tommy Boy, best line at 1:33!!!

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/08/17 01:26 PM

clap
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/09/17 01:43 PM

I am a big fan of .280 Ackley. Nosler makes a factory rifle chambered in that round as well. Have not choron'd it to see what I am shooting, but it is dang accurate from the factory. Previous owner did a great load work up, and I am still using it today. It will be going with me to Africa in August for plains game.

Nosler also has factor ammo for it as well. Just my .02.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/09/17 05:45 PM

LOL! Here's my issue with Fierce, direct from their site:

"The FURY comes with a 1/2-inch group guarantee as do all Fierce rifles but does not come with the certified target. Certifying the accuracy is left up to the shooter. "
http://fiercearms.com/products/fury-models/fury-model

So tell me, exactly what IS a guarantee then, if you don't shoot it and KNOW that the rifle shoots? Again, another rifle sent out that was horribly bad. It was spraying rounds all over at 100 during my testing. Yes, we sent it back and they fixed it for my customer, which went fine. But how in the heck did it leave their shop with a 1/2" guarantee, and they never even shot the rifle? It took me several range trips and A LOT of custom ammo to realize we had a bad rifle. WTF!!?? Sorry, not on board with them either.

Same way all production rifles offer a 1/2 guarantee. It's a law of averages. Money they don't spend on shooting them exceeds replacement value.

The edge does come with target I believe, thus higher price.

Value wise they seem good but I have only shot one edge rifle, haven't touched fury.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Research for my next rifle . Nosler 26 or 28 - 10/09/17 06:10 PM

Not picking calibers cause they are “cool” or what not just curious on people’s real world opinons and what not.

I've shot both, taken a 28 to 800. They are what I would consider exotic plus 600 calibers. The 26 covers everything thing in the Continental US minus a few odd one off antiquated WMA calibers restrictions
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum