Texas Hunting Forum

Help with light primer strikes

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Help with light primer strikes - 09/30/17 10:23 PM

This was supposed to have been corrected by the gunsmith, but apparently was forgotten or not properly corrected. Is there anything I can try before I ship it back? These are both factory loads.

Posted By: JESmith

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 09/30/17 11:18 PM

What primer(s) are you using. What does the rest of batch look like?
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 10/01/17 01:15 AM

What gun?
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 10/01/17 01:44 AM

When you get the rifle back to a gunsmith, have him check headspace while he's at it.....
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 10/01/17 02:14 AM

The smith was told this was a problem. It's a Win Mod 70 .308, it has CDI bottom metal. The smith fixed a couple of other issues but either forgot this or didn't address it at all. I'm pretty upset as I don't live near the smith, a heretofore reputable firm. I was wondering if there's something I can try or should I just call them Monday and start the return process with them. These are both factory loads from different mfg.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 10/01/17 02:44 AM

How old is the action on said gun? Ever taken the bolt apart and cleaned it internally?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 10/01/17 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Ever taken the bolt apart and cleaned it internally?

^^ Yes. The first thing I'd do is this. Take the bolt apart, and clean it inside. Make sure there isn't any debris inside. Have you pierced any primers or blown any primers since you have had it? (some light primer strikes I have had were after some pierced primers or blown primers, from the gases blowing crap back into the bolt and trigger area) I've had the small part of the blown primer clog up my firing pin, and have light primer hits with no round going off.

Also, clean the trigger with some brake cleaner or lighter fluid. Use a heavy flush of it. When at the house, it's hard to diagnose it, since you can not fire it. I have loaded up some empty cases with only a primer (no powder or bullet) to check for the "bang".

If it's not making good contact with the primer, it's usually inside the bolt, or from the trigger. And check the trigger to make sure you are not missing any set screws. I have lost 1 important screw on the trigger, and had an issue once.
Posted By: trigger time

Re: Help with light primer strikes - 10/01/17 03:34 AM

Claw extractor or No? And what chad said, first thing take the bolt apart and clean it really good. Also, not closing your bolt all the way can cause that, but im guessing that's not the case.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum