Texas Hunting Forum

IOTA KREMLIN?

Posted By: spg

IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/29/17 12:45 PM

Anyone using a Iota Kremlin on one of your guns? Do the make one to suit a heavy varmit contour in a bartlein?
Posted By: DStroud

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/29/17 01:53 PM

I have several of them. I have a 28 Nosler with a heavy contour .... it miked .850 if that helps.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/29/17 03:00 PM

I might have to mill out some of it if I get one, the barltein HV is bigger than .850.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 07:37 AM

So many better choices

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 08:56 AM

I know brother in law, trying to keep this build in the moderate range. The build is for my son (12) that has been shooting my guns as he has lost interest in his factory setup, he's been shooting mid range (600yds) with a couple of mine. Time to get him is own. Its going to be .243 on a rem700 with a bartlein barrel, looking at about $1500 for the build without the optic which I have already.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 11:45 AM

I have a Kremlin and their Krux. Both are well built and I like their designs.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 01:24 PM

Spg sorry I measured hurriedly and must have moved the calipers. I checked near the end of the stock fore end and it measured.950
I cannot get a good measurement at the chamber end due to scope objectives too close and too big but it’s a HV contour going from memory.

I couldn’t disagree more with BIL’s comment but really not sure what he means by it? That’s like saying don’t buy a Ford there are better choices?
I have several McMiillan/ Manners/ stocks and have owned HS and Stocky’s too and the Iota’s are well made and well designed stocks made right here in Texas.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 01:37 PM

DStroud, not to worry, a little milling if needed wont be a problem. I too have different stocks, they are all pretty much the same except for my manners, its noticeably stiffer than all of the rest.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 02:39 PM

Spg, We can do just about any contour you want. Call us at 9792294664 on Monday and ask for Austin he can walk you through the barrel channel and stocks. I am pretty confident we have what you are looking for in stock.
Derrick

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
I know brother in law, trying to keep this build in the moderate range. The build is for my son (12) that has been shooting my guns as he has lost interest in his factory setup, he's been shooting mid range (600yds) with a couple of mine. Time to get him is own. Its going to be .243 on a rem700 with a bartlein barrel, looking at about $1500 for the build without the optic which I have already.

Can't believe they want $550 for those
Posted By: Maxlab

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

Wow you certainly have a lot to offer on this topic. Obviously you have never handled this stock. I will say it's on the same level as any of my McMillians I own. It's a quality stock and priced at market value of other similar stocks.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Maxlab

Wow you certainly have a lot to offer on this topic. Obviously you have never handled this stock. I will say it's on the same level as any of my McMillians I own. It's a quality stock and priced at market value of other similar stocks.

I have and it's not on the same level and are in McMillan territory at that price point. Good luck
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 09/30/17 10:31 PM

$529 and you can also purchase our entire product line through optics planet as well. They are a new distributor for iota.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 02:06 PM

Apologies in advance if this more info than you wanted.

There are some difference between the McMillan say the GameScout and the Iota Kremlin which are similar in style.
I have two of each sitting here in front of me. The Iota is a little beefier / larger in the stock portion(where your cheek rests) and it has a wider flatter fore end which rides a bag better IMO than the McMillan but if you use bipod mostly that’s no big deal. As far as quality both are similar but McMillan does have more styles and can be built for more brands of actions.
You have to pay extra on the McMillan to get the Limbsaver recoil pad that comes standard on the Kremlin.
A plus for some on the McMillan is they have a textured palm swell and fore end while on the Kremlin it’s smooth.
Priced out with equal accessories McMillan 562.00 Iota 529.00
McMillan 6 months to get one built in your favorite colors and Iota about 1 month.

McMillan has been making stocks for 44 years starting in 1973 making Benchrest stocks based in Arizona

Iota while a newer company it’s parent Kaspar Companies based in Shiner Texas started in 1898 so they been around a while.
Point being Iota is not some little outfit that’s here today gone tomorrow.

Not sure how much range/hunting time BIL has spent handling the Kremlin but I shoot both the above described stocks every week and I don’t see this glaring difference he is inferring.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 02:37 PM

I have 3 McMillans, A5's and A3 none were under $700
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 03:31 PM

What about a Grayboe stock? Better than Bell and Carlson and about the same price...

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and over spent and got a Manners Elite

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
Thanks for the info, I went ahead and over spent and got a Manners Elite

There you go ....can’t go wrong there either cheers

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 04:44 PM

OP said moderate price on his build. At $529 you have your Iota, great fine. There are models of McMillan at $559 to be had. In my mind you can then look at Grayboe at about $300 and there is a another promo for another 13% off at Redhawk rifles this month on Grayboe making the Grayboe a real good deal compared to the McMillan and iota.

Y'alls money , I'm just pointing out best bangs for the buck. Iota is not McMillan.

Stroud how are you tied in with Iota / Horizon? Are you employed or their biggest cheerleader?
Posted By: glb1955

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 05:12 PM

OP said moderate price on his build. At $529 you have your Iota, great fine. There are models of McMillan at $559 to be had. In my mind you can then look at Grayboe at about $300 and there is a another promo for another 13% off at Redhawk rifles this month on Grayboe making the Grayboe a real good deal compared to the McMillan and iota.

Y'alls money , I'm just pointing out best bangs for the buck. Iota is not McMillan.

Stroud how are you tied in with Iota / Horizon? Are you employed or their biggest cheerleader?

He is one of their cheerleaders and so am I! I have watched the progression of Horizon to where it is today and know just how much work Derrick has put into to trying to build a very good product. I am pretty much old school when it comes to my rifles but I want one that shoots. His rifles do just that. I do have a Kremlin and it is different for me but I am getting used to it. The Krux is closer to my style. I have McMillan (and they are good), as well as HS and BC. All work well. The Iota line are good products and if you like them then fine. Derrick has met his goal with the stocks that he is producing.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 07:22 PM

BIL thanks for the compliment but .... No Actually I work for a company based out of Mississippi and sell asphalt for a living.
I have other custom builds but do gravitate toward Horizon as they have shown me excellent customer service since the first rebarrel I had them do several years ago. I tend to stay with companies that treat the customer well and have great products.
For future reference I am on ProStaff for Foxpro Game Calls another company with great customer service so take any advice I give on predator / game calls with that in mind. cheers

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 07:50 PM

I know you know your stuff and a strong varmint hunter.

I did not call anyone's personal baby ugly and y'all come out of the woodworks all defensive. I'm glad for a Texas company to have such a great following and are proud of their overpriced for what you get rifles and parts. I'm sorry y'all are so sensitive.

Sounds like the op got a better than moderate stock and is good to go.

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 08:10 PM

Glad to see that last post so all can see what’s up here.... Bless your Heart!
Posted By: P_102

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/01/17 08:19 PM

LOL BIL, you've just been 'owned'. Your posts constantly rile people up, I honestly don't know whether your serious or just having fun but it sure is fun watching! P_102
Posted By: redmist1

Re: IOTA KREMLIN? - 10/02/17 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Maxlab

I have no idea what you are looking at if you think those stocks are on the same level as a McMillan. I have used those stocks in the field and have found them to be very wanting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum