Texas Hunting Forum

Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it?

Posted By: Olshovel

Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/27/17 10:48 PM

I am considering purchasing one of these and have found one that I can get for $805 after paying for the transfer and then sending off for the rebate. I would like to hear from anyone that has one and has been shooting it enough to figure out what they like or don't like, how it shoots and what you have considered changing on it if anything now that you have been shooting it.

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 12:28 AM

So, I take it no one has had any time behind one of these yet? I have read a lot of good stuff about them but was really hoping for some input from a few people that have purchased and been shooting one long enough to have an experience based opinion on it. I am going back and forth between going this route or buying a 24" heavy barreled and threaded howa action and putting into a Bell and Carlson stock.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 01:28 AM

This will be worth what you paid for it as I haven't handled a magpul hunter, but I don't think I'd care for the looks or the grip angle.

I've heard good things about Howa 1500s, and I like the triggers the little bit I've fondled them in gunshops. But metric tenon threads and lack of stock selection has kept me from trying one.

If I was in the mood for a heavy barrel 308 Rem 700, I'd look at picking up a barreled action and dropping it into a Grayboe renegade with MPA dbm like this:
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...ion#Post6889079

Or:

possibly wait for the new KRG bravo for $350

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...KRG#Post6889134

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 04:58 AM

That seems steep to me. Black Friday had the Magpul and bottom metal for $249. Buy a 700 varmint fo $349 on sale and swap the stock. Boom, <$650 after tax.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
That seems steep to me. Black Friday had the Magpul and bottom metal for $249. Buy a 700 varmint fo $349 on sale and swap the stock. Boom, <$650 after tax.

Exactly what I did. $309 for an ADL Varmint after rebate and $250 for the magpul 700 with mag. $75 to cut and thread.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 12:22 PM

I have one with 22-250 heavy barrel for varmint/coyote, seems worth the money to me.

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 01:33 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I like to see what other guys are actually doing and getting good results from. I looked at going the SPS varmint route but did not really want the 26" barrel. I was worried about the 1 in 12 twist on the varmint barrel if I were to have 4" cut off of it. Is anyone aware of another gun that comes from Remington with the heavy barrel contour and 1 in 10 twist that is longer than 20"?
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 05:38 PM

I would make sure and handle one of those Magpul Stocks before you buy one. I thought they were going to be a nice option and was set on buying one until I handled it. They felt very cheap and plasticky to me.

I got an HS Precision stock and a B&C off of Ebay for around $200 which are much nicer options.

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 07:48 PM

Which of those two stocks that you mentioned did you end up preferring?
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 08:06 PM

I bought a 20" SPS Tac heavy bbl and put it in a Magpul Hunter stock w/bottom metal and mag. I like it. I paid ~$185 for it when they came out. Hard to beat for <$200.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 08:29 PM

I bought the gun and stock separate. At the end of the day I've been very pleased with the setup.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/28/17 08:37 PM

I got two different styles, so kind of hard to compare. But I really like them both.

I got a HS stock that is more of a traditional hunting stock...just like this one:
https://redhawkrifles.com/products/rifle...on/psv029-97-hs

And the B&C is more of a tactical style stock...like this one:
http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1052

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/29/17 08:55 PM

Okay, no one spoke up singing the praises of the magpul package and I have researched the topic as nauseum! I found a good deal on Brownell's and ordered the 24" threaded heavy barreled action in 308. I think I am going to put it in a Bell and Carlson Stock. I have a Sig Tango 6 I am going to mount on top of it and see what it will do! Thanks for all the input.

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/29/17 08:55 PM

Forgot to mention it is the Howa action!

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 09/30/17 01:46 AM

You made the right choice
Posted By: TexasMood

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 10/05/17 01:23 PM

Where are you guys finding the 700 adl varmint on sale for 349? Thats a deal.

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 10/05/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Wes Moody
Where are you guys finding the 700 adl varmint on sale for 349? Thats a deal.

Cabela's will run them like that periodically. There was a deal last year where you could get one, and after the rebate you'd be out ~$330 after tax. Several people commented (rightly) that was cheaper than you could buy a donor action.

Be watching for the Black Friday specials in a few weeks.
Posted By: TexasMood

Re: Remington Magpul in 308, who's shooting one and do you love it? - 10/05/17 02:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I will be looking.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum