Texas Hunting Forum

pawn shop/LGS run today

Posted By: Buzzsaw

pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 01:13 PM

going to make a run through Plano/Frisco shops today looking for my "next" firearm purchase. I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Kinda like going to the dog pound and seeing which one says "take me home daddy"
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
"take me home daddy"

dog pound? rigggghhhhhtttttt.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 01:24 PM

I've stopped making the pawn shop rounds. Their prices are close to retail these days.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
I've stopped making the pawn shop rounds. Their prices are close to retail these days.

If your lucky, I always enjoy seeing the $475 Glock 17 Gen 1 police trade in pistols in the case.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 01:53 PM

Good deals are few and far between, but I found a Beretta 390 in good shape a while back for $400 OTD and snatched it up.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 02:43 PM

Buzz I just got a new 22-250 so don't get one of those. I've been wanting to try a Leupold VX5 or 6HD with a firedot reticle. Either of those would be good to buy later at discount prices. Colt or Sig 1911 also.

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 02:58 PM

ha ha aggie duly noted

I'm well aware of pawn shop finds. You have to ask for what's in the back and have cash in hand, got it covered. Consignment guns are always a good target.

I do agree, everyone is pretty educated in gun values these days, but its a buyers market cuz not many are buying guns now. So forget about the price tag, cash is king.

beats working though.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
ha ha aggie duly noted

I'm well aware of pawn shop finds. You have to ask for what's in the back and have cash in hand, got it covered. Consignment guns are always a good target.

I do agree, everyone is pretty educated in gun values these days, but its a buyers market cuz not many are buying guns now. So forget about the price tag, cash is king.

beats working though.

True....gotta remember they probably paid about 50-60% of what they are selling it for. The above 390 was listed for $450 plus tax...I offered $400 tax included and they took it.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 04:32 PM

Heck of a deal for a 390. I've had some good pawn shop finds through the years, although I agree they're less common than they used to be.

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 07:15 PM

ok, ya'll were right, pawn shops aint got chit anymore

I did find two revo's I liked at a LGS. I asked if they would sell me both guns, cash at a better deal, they said no, so I will be buying them off Gunbroker, screw the local gun store, hope they choke on them.

They were higher than several on gunbroker anyway.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 08:36 PM

Always good to do your homework before hand. I find that some of the small town pawn shops are good, sometimes.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 08:40 PM

I quit looking there a few years ago. Some are asking more than retail, I guess just to see if some guy will make the impulse buy. Most of those guys are pricks and customer service is all but non-existent. If I have money to spend and you have 2 customers in the store, if I have to ask you for help looking at your merchandise, I'm out.

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 09:46 PM

one pawn shop owner said when he gets in a higher grade gun, they sell within an hour. so its just being there at the right time. he said if he gets a high grade gun in that's new, never fired, he keeps it if he wants it.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/11/17 09:52 PM

used to make the rounds a few years ago, now its not worth the time, will occasionally stop by one if its on my way, haven't found a deal in some time.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/13/17 03:13 PM

From my perspective, pawn shops can be a source for "parts guns" - but not much else anymore.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/13/17 03:59 PM

I made a pawn shop what I felt was a decent offer on a Rem 1911 R1 Enhanced a few years ago. It was only about 90%, maybe a little less, even. New at the time was $699, they wanted $599, I offered them $500 and had cash with me. Nope. Went in there last year and they still had it, I didn't even look at the price.
Posted By: ralph

Re: pawn shop/LGS run today - 09/13/17 04:14 PM

I like to check pawn shops every so often just in case one has something you can't find anywhere else. That is how I recently found a .357 Security Six 2 3/4 inch barrel. Just what I had been looking for. I realized that as soon as I saw it. I think the tag said $499 or something like that. The manager said $350 before I even said anything. I came back the next day and got it for $350 out the door.

I think you do have to check regularly because the good stuff goes quickly. More than once I have looked one day and gone back the next to find the gun already sold.

Have fun and let us know what you come across.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum