Texas Hunting Forum

STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL

Posted By: hermano W

STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 03:58 PM

Is there any accuracy difference between a stainless rifle barrel and a regular rifle barrel? It is probably just coincidence, but none of my stainless rifles have been quite as consistent as my rifles with regular steel barrels.
Posted By: dee

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 04:07 PM

Accuracy is all in the chamber job and rifling consistency. A majority of custom barrels are stainless or cm and both shoot lights out.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 04:42 PM

Depends on quality of steel. All stainless are not the same.
Posted By: 6.5BR

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 04:44 PM

Any difference is most likely variations in quality control. TOP Accuracy can be had in both, and variations can also be had in stock bedding and other variables.

If you have specific accuracy problems, you might give details on the gun, loads, and many might help recommend some things to get them to their potential. Again, if Quality Control is the same in manufacture, than the accuracy should be a non-issue based on metal used, IMHO and IME. YMMV.

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 04:50 PM

I wondered about stainless because back when I was working as a millwright, we had to be careful with stainless because it is prone to "gald" if you know what that is. I just thought it might interact with a bullet traveling down it differently than the chrome-moly that is used in most regular rifle barrels.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 05:56 PM

never has any problems with stainless not shooting as good as any thing else
Posted By: J.G.

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 06:06 PM

I intentionally buy stainless barrels, originally for corrosion protection. They've all shot tiny, because my gunsmith does phenomenal work, and I give the rifles tuned ammo, that is very consistent. A customer of mine that knew metals said, generally stainless is not harder, but it is tougher. Take that for what you paid for it.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/09/17 07:51 PM

If all stainless were the same all stainless knife blanks would cost the same. Compare s30v vs d2 vs 440c vs 154cm.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/10/17 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: hermano W
Is there any accuracy difference between a stainless rifle barrel and a regular rifle barrel?

I have not experienced this. I have a stainless Bison Armory that shoots better than the M1S it used to have.

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/10/17 06:37 PM

Thanks for the comments. It looks like most of you agree that barrel material has nothing to do with accuracy. I'm about to purchase a new rifle, and I was leaning toward a stainless model, I guess I'll go ahead and get it.
Posted By: 686ppp

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/15/17 02:27 PM

I've never seen anything other than stainless at a bench rest match. If something will shoot better they will have it. Money is no object for some.
Posted By: VarmintHunterII

Re: STAINLESS VS REGULAR STEEL - 09/16/17 03:26 AM

ALL the stool shooters use stainless--it is more erosion (not corrosion) resistant than chrome moly--
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum