Texas Hunting Forum

truing action

Posted By: garyrapp55

truing action - 08/25/17 09:38 PM

I'm considering having this done and it will be my first time. Wouldn't the barrel need to be machined as well so when installed it makes a flush mating of the 2 surfaces? I'm no smith and need help getting my head around this completely.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: truing action - 08/25/17 09:43 PM

Yes, both would be trued. If you are building a rifle, the smith could true the front of the action. When you install a new barrel, the smith would also true the front of the barrel to mate to the action.

Re: truing action - 08/25/17 10:09 PM

A quality aftermarket recoil lug was recommended to be put in at that time as well. Sound right to you?

Re: truing action - 08/25/17 10:13 PM

A thicker recoil lug, yes. If it's the same size you are replacing it with, it won't matter.

Re: truing action - 08/25/17 10:15 PM

Do you do any of this work at your shop?

Re: truing action - 08/25/17 10:17 PM

I don't do it, no. But I have a gun smith that I use for all my work who can. What action or rifle is it?

Re: truing action - 08/25/17 10:17 PM

Rem700 short
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: truing action - 08/26/17 02:39 AM

For what it's worth, I've kicked around this idea a few times and even spoke to a few reliable guys. Two of them told me it ain't really worth truing an action and just reinstalling a factory barrel. You will be paying so much money for marginal improvement. Besides, once any gunsmith has you rifle disassembled and action tried, then the additional cost of getting an new barrel versus them messing with your factory barrel is not that much and you will notice a much greater improvement in accuracy.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: truing action - 08/26/17 10:08 PM

Also, if the gunsmith recuts the threads in the receiver the barrel tenon threads will be too small and the barrel will need to be replaced.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: truing action - 08/26/17 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Do you do any of this work at your shop?

Head over to Alamo Precision in Euless. They are really good with Remington stuff
Posted By: J.G.

Re: truing action - 08/26/17 11:43 PM

Buy a Tikka T-3 and rebarrel it.

It's money better spent, and you're ending up with a better action, and a trigger that does not need replacing.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: truing action - 08/27/17 03:25 PM

On most 700's, if both locking lugs are making solid contact and the bedding is squared away, they will usually shoot. Like others mentioned, I would hold off the action and recoil lug unless I was going to re-barrel, or one of the locking lugs showed less than 30% contact.
Posted By: MClark

Re: truing action - 08/27/17 03:53 PM

What is the intended purpose of the rifle you are building? Budget? Accuracy expectations?

M

Re: truing action - 08/27/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
I would hold off the action and recoil lug unless I was going to re-barrel, or one of the locking lugs showed less than 30% contact.

After further consideration, I may do this, get it all done at the same time. I had planned on re-barreling to 6.5CM down the road, so maybe I'll wait for now.

Re: truing action - 08/27/17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: MClark
What is the intended purpose of the rifle you are building? Budget? Accuracy expectations?

I intend to shoot paper and steel to around 800, as a hobby, I doubt I'll ever compete in a match as time constraints don't allow for it. Budget, I don't plan on getting $5k in this rifle but have no doubt I will be putting no less than $2k maybe 3. Accuracy expectations, to hit MOA at say 800 it must shoot sub MOA. Benchrest ain't my thing but I won't be satisfied until I can hit MOA sized steel at distance. This should be a reachable even for me. I have no illusions I'll be shooting out over 1000.
Posted By: MClark

Re: truing action - 08/27/17 09:33 PM

For a 2-3k budget I would use a Bat VR action, Krieger barrel, McMillan stock.
Will put you at about 2500.
If you are in no hurry sign up for McMillan's email list, they have decent sales every few months.
I like Bruno Shooters Supply, they have sales on everything, sign up for their emails too.
Waiting for sale will save lots.

Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: truing action - 08/27/17 09:59 PM

For your budget when you get ready, you can build something pretty darn good. A lot of really good rifles are built on 700 SA's and you already own the action. Krieger or Shilen barrel, McMillan stock with pillars, Timney trigger. That with the right ammo will shoot with the best.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 02:11 AM

Personally, if a 700 action doesn't shoot good enough for you, I'd consider following firemanjg's advise and selling the 700 and buying a Tikka. All three I've owned have shot ridiculously good out of the box, even with factory ammo. My T3 lite was a sub-MOA gun and my T3x Varmint and CTR will both shoot tiny groups.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Personally, if a 700 action doesn't shoot good enough for you, I'd consider following firemanjg's advise and selling the 700 and buying a Tikka. All three I've owned have shot ridiculously good out of the box, even with factory ammo. My T3 lite was a sub-MOA gun and my T3x Varmint and CTR will both shoot tiny groups.

This.
Posted By: Dien

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 03:20 PM

Usually not worth it. Save up for a new barrel or better action.
Posted By: TDK

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 05:16 PM

It's important to know that just facing off the receiver and lapping lugs does not a Trued receiver make. The threads will also be recut to ensure they are true also. You'll most likely be left with needing a new barrel too.

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 05:23 PM

IMO, if you true up a factory Rem 700, at the end of the day you still have a Rem 700. A basic Rem 700 rebarreled with a quality barrel will shoot very well. If you were to compare the cost of a custom Rem 700 action, like a Sugeon, Stiller, or Big Horn, and compare it to truing up a Rem 700, it would be about the same cost.

Gary, the 308 Win rifle I shot in the THF Tactical match at Jason's that I let you shoot was a $360 Rem 700 ADL in 308 Win when I bought it. I took off the factory barrel, screwed on a custom Bartlein 308, and put it in an old Manners T4 stock I had on hand. It shoots about 1/2 moa, and good enough to win that match. It was my PBR Rifle- parts build rifle. It's certainly doable with a factory Rem 700 rifle.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
IMO, if you true up a factory Rem 700, at the end of the day you still have a Rem 700. A basic Rem 700 rebarreled with a quality barrel will shoot very well. If you were to compare the cost of a custom Rem 700 action, like a Sugeon, Stiller, or Big Horn, and compare it to truing up a Rem 700, it would be about the same cost.

Gary, the 308 Win rifle I shot in the THF Tactical match at Jason's that I let you shoot was a $360 Rem 700 ADL in 308 Win when I bought it. I took off the factory barrel, screwed on a custom Bartlein 308, and put it in an old Manners T4 stock I had on hand. It shoots about 1/2 moa, and good enough to win that match. It was my PBR Rifle- parts build rifle. It's certainly doable with a factory Rem 700 rifle.

I thought PBR stood for poor boys rifle. grin

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 06:23 PM

Top two most important things that make a precise shooting rifle.

1. A quality barrel, expertly machined to fit the action, properly chambered, and properly crowned.

2. A hand load using good components, and built to be turned to that barrel's harmonics.

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 06:54 PM

I'm going to scrap the idea of messing with that receiver and just get a good barrel on it. Probably put a quality lug on while the barrel is off just because. Thank you very much for the informative feedback. I working on some loads for the factory barrel now Jason. I order a scope rings and base Friday for it. Then start the saving all over again for a barrel. Any reason I should not re-barrel in 6.5CM and start the load development all over again?

Re: truing action - 08/28/17 10:08 PM

If that's the cartridge you want, go for it. And yes, new barrel, new load, most of the time. But if you're going to run H-4350 and a 140 gr, it'll shoot at 42.2, 42.4, 42.6, 42.8 gr.

Re: truing action - 09/05/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Top two most important things that make a precise shooting rifle.

1. A quality barrel, expertly machined to fit the action, properly chambered, and properly crowned.

2. A hand load using good components, and built to be turned to that barrel's harmonics.

I tested my first 308 hand-loads over the weekend and shot a 1 inch group of 9 rounds (no idea what I did with that 10th round) and it could have been smaller but that's my fault. I now have first hand experience that your 2. above is most definitely true. Not that I was doubting you cause I know you know your chit. Anyway, thanks for the help you've given Jason.

Re: truing action - 09/05/17 06:06 PM

Yessir! up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum