Texas Hunting Forum

I'm sick

Posted By: 68A

I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:05 AM

Box showed up at my house like this, from UPS. Was supposed to be my Obermeyer barrel.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:10 AM

So someone stole the barrel?

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
So someone stole the barrel?

Unless it was someone at UPS, then no. Dropped off at the house like that.

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:25 AM

Id be on the phone
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:29 AM

That's the very definition of "the pits."

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:35 AM

Id be on the phone

I think I accurately conveyed my feelings to the UPS customer service folks. "Send in pictures, and we'll be in contact with the shipper". I'll give Boots a call tomorrow, we'll see what he has to say.

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A
Id be on the phone

I think I accurately conveyed my feelings to the UPS customer service folks. "Send in pictures, and we'll be in contact with the shipper". I'll give Boots a call tomorrow, we'll see what he has to say.
hope they take care of it
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:52 AM

Had the exact same thing happen to me on a barrel I shipped to a buyer. All he got was an empty tube. I refunded him his money but USPS wouldn't cover it because it was my word against theirs.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 01:00 AM

Shipping insurance is worth the money. That stinks.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 01:03 AM

Ouch....guess the build will suffer a setback...
Posted By: J.G.

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 01:59 AM

People like that deserve to be tied to a tree, in a creek bottom, for 24 hours.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:07 AM

Hate to hear that Sir. That just sucks.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:19 AM

Man, that sucks!!!

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
People like that deserve to be tied to a tree, in a creek bottom, for 24 hours. During a hurricane.

FIFY.
grin

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
People like that deserve to be tied to a tree, in a creek bottom, for 24 hours. During a hurricane.

FIFY.
grin

That would cut down on the fire ants, mosquitoes, flies, skunks, and coons.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:46 AM

I almost always have things shipped to office or Ill pick up at Fedex or UPS facility. I dont trust things being left on the doorstep

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

FIFY.
grin

That would cut down on the fire ants, mosquitoes, flies, skunks, and coons.
and meth heads
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 03:30 AM

And this is why I stated some of us do not want to ship a gun or action or barrel to be threaded or cut, have work performed... Prefer to deliver it even if I have to pay a courier.

Sorry about your problem, hope they locate it and it is not scratched or damaged.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 03:44 AM

NTTA is holding it ransom until you pay your toll bills
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 05:18 AM

[quote=blackcoalSorry about your problem, hope they locate it and it is not scratched or damaged. [/quote]

It has been rolling around in a truck or an airplane the past few days. I would still install it to see what it would do though.

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
NTTA is holding it ransom until you pay your toll bills

roflmao

My toll bill cost almost the same as that barrel each month.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 12:56 PM

It happened to me once. The barrel was shipped in a cardboard tube with plastic end caps taped on. In my case, I think the end cap just came off. They looked at every UPS location my barrel had been and never found it. Hopefully, Obermeyer or you paid for insurance. I think it would be fine if found as long as it wasn't used as a pry bar.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 01:28 PM

I cross my fingers every time I ship a gun. So far I've been lucky

Its got to be a nightmare dealing with loss or damage.

Good luck 68A

keep us posted
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 02:11 PM

That sucks! These things wouldn't happen if the barrel was packaged correctly. You can't expect a heavy metal tube to stay inside a cardboard box if it has any ability to move inside the container. It should all fall back on the shipper,they are responsible for correctly packaging the items they ship out.
Most people know how freight companies can be pretty hard on handling packages,they might get transferred 4 or 5 times to different trucks and shipping facilities from the time they get from point A to B.
Unless you ship something Overnight,it will be handled many times in the shipping process.

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 03:19 PM

I had frozen steaks left on the porch. Never a knock on the door.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: I'm sick - 08/24/17 03:39 PM

This has happened to me twice in the past, albeit, not with gun barrels. Over very expensive leather order ( I had a couple exotic hides) and a shipment of rods for my guitar building hobby. When I called the leather supplier, they immediately sent me a replacement order and they dealt with the shipping company. The rods, I had to deal with the shipping company. Having to deal with shipping companies or insurance once something is delivered is a nightmare process of endless forms and back and forth. They try to wear you down so you give up your claim.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: I'm sick - 08/25/17 03:02 PM

If UPS still has the same policy, they cover up to $100 at no extra charge. Insurance per $100 after that isn't much. I have started paying a little extra for requiring a signature. Then I don't have to worry about loss or theft after drop off. Then if the package looks real bad I don't have to accept it. So far that practice has worked quite well.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: I'm sick - 08/25/17 04:38 PM

These shipping companies just don't care. I agree it is the packaging that looks to have failed. The box too long is just begging to be smashed or broken off without the barrel support. I had a barrel show up the same way except it was miraculously still there. Sucks having to wait for another and dealing with someone's incompetency. Grrrr...
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: I'm sick - 08/25/17 06:25 PM

I have had several issues with UPS. What can Brown do for you? not F--- up my S---

I will pay a little more and go with FedEx.

Sorry this happened to ya bud!

Z

Re: I'm sick - 08/29/17 04:15 PM

Any news on your barrel ?

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 08:17 PM

Just an update, Mr Obermeyer was nice enough to cut me a new barrel the next day and I received it today. Little bit of a headache but all is well.

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 08:21 PM

Very nice! My Obermeyer on my 300 WM is a hammer. It should do you well!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 08:41 PM

Should be a good barrel. Boots has been making them a long time.

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

1:9 twist. Gonna run the 225 Eld match, barrel cut to 28", defiance action, McMillan a3, badger dbm, zero delta brake. It's gonna thump.

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 09:13 PM

There you go!! I'm running the 225 BTHP Hornady bullets in my 300 WM right at 2802 fps in a 29" barrel (tight bore- .298"). It's a hammer. I've stretched it out past 1 mile a few times. I wish I would have gone with a faster twist, like a 1:10". But with the newer and longer bullet now on 30 caliber, a 1:9" twist is perfect for anything you want to shoot in it.

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 09:47 PM

There you go!! I'm running the 225 BTHP Hornady bullets in my 300 WM right at 2802 fps in a 29" barrel (tight bore- .298"). It's a hammer. I've stretched it out past 1 mile a few times. I wish I would have gone with a faster twist, like a 1:10". But with the newer and longer bullet now on 30 caliber, a 1:9" twist is perfect for anything you want to shoot in it.

What kinda powder and brass are you running?

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 10:04 PM

Retumbo and I have loads for Nosler and Winchester brass. Fed 215 primer. Bullet seated out to around 3.530" (ish). Mainly Nosler, but the Nosler brass I have is from MANY years ago when I shot comps with a 300 WM and it has multiple reloads on them (5+). I was getting case head separation on some cases the last time I shot some warm loads with them. I went to some once fired BHA (Winchester brass) from a customer and ran that for some loads. It did fine. Either will work. Now, I have thousands of Norma 300 WM brass, and use the brass for my 7mm/300 Win Mag rifle pushing the 195 Berger at 2990 fps. This 195 grain bullet is a game changer bullet at those speeds. It spanks anything 30 caliber, and runs faster and flatter than a 338 Lapua, and gets very close to some 375 Chey Tac rounds.
Posted By: LKW

Re: I'm sick - 08/31/17 10:42 PM

last year I had over 13 packages stolen that ups had delivered all with in a 2-3 month time frame they never caught the guy

Re: I'm sick - 09/01/17 02:23 AM

1:9 twist. Gonna run the 225 Eld match, barrel cut to 28", defiance action, McMillan a3, badger dbm, zero delta brake. It's gonna thump.

Hell of a combo there! up

Re: I'm sick - 09/01/17 02:25 AM

gets very close to some 375 Chey Tac rounds.

Eeeaaaasy!

Re: I'm sick - 09/01/17 02:46 AM

Just an update, Mr Obermeyer was nice enough to cut me a new barrel the next day and I received it today. Little bit of a headache but all is well.

That is good news.

Re: I'm sick - 09/01/17 02:59 AM

Takes care of customers...
up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum