Texas Hunting Forum

Tape over your barrel?

Posted By: Bigfoot

Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 05:54 PM

I have heard of hunters doing this. It makes sense if you hunt in the rain mud and gunk I think.

Who does and who doesnt and why?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 06:01 PM

I use those little finger-tip latex gloves if I'm hunting in inclement weather, which isn't very often.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 06:19 PM

I've done it...especially rainy weather. It works fine.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 06:48 PM

Krylon for me.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 06:51 PM

Are you talking about putting tape over the muzzle to keep debris from going in, or tape around the entire outside of the barrel? I saw Steven Segal put a condom over his muzzle in the movie Under Seige. That would work!

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 06:56 PM

I am just wondering what happens if a piece of bark or mud or something falls in my barrel while leaning up against a tree. Or I drop it in mud accidentally. I am assuming that this could be detrimental to my barrel under some circumstances. last year I hunted in the rain it seemed like 50% of the time
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
put a condom over his muzzle

Dad said he did this to the M16 in Vietnam because it jammed if it didn't stay clean. I'm sure the nitrile or latex gloves would work too. Of course, the other is ribbed for her pleasure, whatever that means.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 07:02 PM

Ive put tape over the muzzle before you keep stuff out of it, but in bad weather had the tape come off which also. Not I just carry a bore snake with the brass brush wore down to clean the bore if I think something got in it.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
I am just wondering what happens if a piece of bark or mud or something falls in my barrel while leaning up against a tree. Or I drop it in mud accidentally. I am assuming that this could be detrimental to my barrel under some circumstances. last year I hunted in the rain it seemed like 50% of the time

Yes, any obstruction can cause a problem or increase in pressure. Rain or moisture inside the barrel and/or chamber will increase the pressure of the round. If you got water inside the barrel, yes, it can certainly effect pressures and accuracy. I have used a foam ear plug before, since that was all I had with me. Use some tape or whatever you want to put over the barrel. I carry latex gloves, and you could easily cut off a finger of one of the gloves and use that. (or pull something out of your wallet!!)
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 07:06 PM

I experimented with the foam ear plugs in the end to keep out mud and stuff. They blow out but each one had a tiny hole drilled right through the middle. I bet it would make some good slow speed photography.
Posted By: WBT

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 11:15 PM

I keep a foot or two of electrical tape wrapped around the barrel of my mountain rifle. I cut a little piece off and cover up my muzzle anytime I'm hiking. I've tested it at the range and the tape makes no difference.

I don't think the tape is necessary when hunting out of blinds here at home, but you'd be surprised how much stuff gets in your barrel when hiking through the mountains. Several years ago on a goat hunt, I took the bolt out of my rifle at the end of the first day and a bunch of pine needles, small twigs, etc. came out. I don't know what would have happened if I fired the rifle with all that junk in there, but it wouldn't have been good.

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 11:22 PM

Ear plugs are a great idea and I definitely think that is what I will use on my rifle with nothing on end of barrel.

I guess a latex glove would be ideal for a flashhider

thanks!
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/21/17 11:32 PM

I prefer the finger tips of latex/non-latex surgical gloves. They have a lot of stretch to them and provide a tighter hold on the muzzle than the nitrile gloves in my opinion. I have also seen smaller sized balloons used that work great as well.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/22/17 06:34 PM

Two strips of electrical tape, perpendicular to each other, with another longer strip around the barrel to keep the ends down firmly. Holds up to lots of abuse and has no effect on POI.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/22/17 06:45 PM

Saran Wrap or balloons were used depending on how long we had to walk when pond hunting ducks. Always carried my gun on a sling because hands were full, plus needed hands free to move through brush. Seems condoms would add a lot of cost if you do much duck hunting.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/22/17 06:51 PM

Yes electrical tape over barrel anytime I am in the boonies, doing so has saved a hunt or two over the years. I have some water balloons I am going to try this fall.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/22/17 07:07 PM

I don't want anything covering the barrel of a gun I'm about to shoot. I make sure to keep it out of the mud also.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/22/17 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Are you talking about putting tape over the muzzle to keep debris from going in, or tape around the entire outside of the barrel? I saw Steven Segal put a condom over his muzzle in the movie Under Seige. That would work!
Nam
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/23/17 01:23 AM

Several years ago during a bear hunt in Arkansas (I now believe Arkansas bears are just a legend), I leaned my rifle against a tree to relieve myself. As I did, I watched the muzzle---because that's the end that can hurt you, and just happened to see a small piece of bark fall directly down the bore of my rifle. I guess there was no way for it to miss going down that big .358" hole.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/23/17 06:25 AM

https://www.amazon.com/Muzzle-Cover-Cap-Black-5-Pack/dp/B009PSZJ8Q
Posted By: Birdhunter61

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/23/17 05:42 PM

I can see it now, wife asks what I'm doing with condoms in my wallet. I say they're for putting over my muzzle while hunting. Wonder how that will fly.

Robby
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/24/17 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Birdhunter61
I can see it now, wife asks what I'm doing with condoms in my wallet. I say they're for putting over my muzzle while hunting. Wonder how that will fly.

Robby
First thing I'd ask is what ya doing in my wallet?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Tape over your barrel? - 08/24/17 12:20 PM

I'm sure it's a good idea on backcountry hunts (even though I didn't tape mine on the one I just took). I have never considered it while deer hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum