Texas Hunting Forum

Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/09/17 09:29 PM

got to spend some time with 3 rifles today testing the Berger 140gd Elite Hunter bullet.

Also my new Barrett Fieldcraft ultralight rifle. Targets have load data on it. I'm pleased with the groups while breaking in the barrel. Also shot my McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby, still luvin it.

sorry don't know how to rotate these

Posted By: dee

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/09/17 10:32 PM

First load in the barrett shows promise.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 01:09 AM

6.5 Creedmoor needs more fuel.
Posted By: wall8053

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 01:20 AM

Nice!

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 01:38 AM

may go to 42.4

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
may go to 43.0

FIFY
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 01:52 AM

It that 2591fps? Roal coal buzz. Put some more fuel in that [censored] and lets see what happens. It appears to be a shooter already.
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Chrono could be reading slow??

That weatherby has is getting 6.5 saum speeds and using 6 grains more powder
Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 03:18 AM

Also, 3 shot groups. Meh.

You will get there. Just load the old standard of 42.1g h4350 over a 140 hybrid seated ar 2.810 and you will be golden.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 03:21 AM

Just looked at your target data. Holy smokes thats slow. Is that a 20" barrel? If not, i wouldnt go any higher in your loads. Wait until its broken in. Maybe like 300 rounds.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bphillips
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Chrono could be reading slow??

That weatherby has is getting 6.5 saum speeds and using 6 grains more powder

I didn't really pay attention to the chrono data. Just the fact it wasn't shooting tight.

I've had 42.4 gr shoot tiny. Then on a new lot of powder have 42.8 gr shoot tiny.

Those initial 42.2 gr groups look dismal.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 02:03 PM

All that time and money and neither gun hit even close to the bullseye. You should give them to me, I'll dispose of them for you. grin

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 02:15 PM

Guys, The rifle has a "0" contour, 21" barrel, weighs 5#, strictly for hunting so the 3 shot group is fine. I'll take these groups all day long but this is just me.

I will get it broken in a bit , take it to Jason's, shoot it over his Labradar chrono, as my Pro-Chrono is what it is. Stretch it out before deer season. If I feel I'll be shooting past 300yards or so, I'll take the Mcwhorter 6.5 Weatherby.

I was a little surprised also at the slow speeds as 42.4 H-4350, gets 2710 in my heavy F-Class 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 04:18 PM

What "break-in" procedure are you following and what was range distance?

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 04:27 PM

nothing special, shoot 3 clean, shoot 1 fouler, 3 shot group, clean. I consider it broken in. they make these barrels at Barrett, so I guess they are smooth.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 04:46 PM

Buzz for that light weight rifle and just getting started with it, things are looking good. Like discussed on another thread light weights can take some getting accustomed to.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/10/17 07:06 PM

Thanks, was curious.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 04:19 AM

Buzz, sorry if it came across wrong. I was under the assumption that you were shooting a different rifle. Your velocity makes sense given your bbl length. Also 3 rd groups make perfect sense in a hunting rifle.

Those groups are much better than I have seen from the "holy grail of hunting rifles" Tikka. Not sure of the price difference, but looks damned good.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 04:21 AM

Give the 143 ELD-X a try. They weren't worth a flip for me, but in Jeremy's rifle they shoot under half moa and are pretty devastating on the hog population.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta
Give the 143 ELD-X a try. They weren't worth a flip for me, but in Jeremy's rifle they shoot under half moa and are pretty devastating on the hog population.

That one , larger, group was the ELD-X 143, I'm just so used to writing 140gr . I will concentrate on the Elite Hunters since this wont be a high volume shooter. Almost 2600fps, plenty of oomph to kill a deer, axis, black buck, antelope.

I will say the recoil did get my attention after shooting heavy rifles. Not bad but I "might" add a brake but I don't think there is enough "meat" on the muzzle to thread.

Before anyone suggests a clamp on muzzle brake, stop. I can live with a little recoil, just 1 or two shots.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 12:53 PM

Harrel's Precision

They make one as small as 1/2" threads, and they're inexpensive. They are very trim and look good on thin barrels.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 01:39 PM

Buzz,

might give the 100 gr TTSX or Partitions a try.

They are plenty for hunting and will reduce the recoil.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 05:57 PM

Thanks JG i'll check harrells out

jeff, will the light bullets do good in a 1-8 twist?
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 06:14 PM

Would not expect any issues.

My 260 is 1:9" 22" so close to the same.

Posted By: P_102

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 09:44 PM

Buzz, I checked with Chad about running 105's in a 1-9 twist and he said It would be questionable and recommended 1-8. P_102

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
Buzz, I checked with Chad about running 105's in a 1-9 twist and he said It would be questionable and recommended 1-8. P_102

6.5 Creedmoor?

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/12/17 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102

6.5 Creedmoor?

Something tells me they were talking 6mm creedmoor. The 6.5 will shoot good with a 1:9 up to 140s though depends on length and will loose a little stability and will also most likely accuracy fall way off at some distance before say the 130s would. For a light weight fairly good BC target bullet look at the Serria 107gr match king.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 12:28 AM

I know that at one time Hornady decided that although the H4350 gave top end speed and accuracy many match shooters wanted something with less recoil for mid-range matches. They loaded the 120/123 gr with Varget for that purpose.
Might want to look there as a option. I know I have a fave load with 120/123 bullets that has light recoil running 2875 from24 inch barrels and it has accounted for lots of game longest being an antelope in New Mexico a friend shot. Oh and no he doesn't know Creedmoor is not spelled Creedmore and I am positive he doesn't care.
Specs on this gun pictured Remington Seven rebarreled by Horizon from 300 SAUM with modified Sako bolt face 24 inch 1/8 twist Benchmark barrel and bedded in original stock. Also granbady killed and elk at 420 yards last season with same load.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 12:44 AM

1-8 twist?

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 04:42 AM

Buzz, my 6.5-284 shoots the 140s very well at 2700 and 2900 or very close to those speeds for the accuracy nodes with Berger hunting VLDs and it is a 1:9 twist. I was concerned about that twist rate but Cooper convinced me to give it a shot, it works quite well.

the 123gr Hornady SST would be a good hunting bullet for the Creedmoor as it is for the Grendel, decent BC and works on critters and like Dstroud said you can do a light recoil load that works well. I also have some 129gr Nosler LR accubonds that would work well for low recoil loads, that loaded to 2500fps still has more energy at 400 yards than a 243 with 90gr bullets at the same 400 yards.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 03:49 PM

Nike looking rifle Buzz. I suppose I could buy it cheap after you get about 100 rounds down the barrel but I prefer that little Remmy 223 clap

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Nike looking rifle Buzz. I suppose I could buy it cheap after you get about 100 rounds down the barrel but I prefer that little Remmy 223 clap

Where you been BF ??? I'll keep it all tuned up for you.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 04:43 PM

Good report Buzz! I've been hoping someone would buy one of these and do a review. So far it looks like a great rifle and one that would work very well to haul into the mountains.

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 05:28 PM

You might wait, I heard through the local grapevine the Kroyal would have a custom on the market soon. confused2

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/13/17 05:29 PM

Sorry Buzz, didn't mean to change the topic. My bad. back

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/14/17 12:07 AM

you're good. I heard the same thing bolt
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/14/17 12:44 AM

Yea you two old guys might want to get your hearing checked rofl

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/14/17 01:08 AM

Buzz, you were telling me about the young guy that asked you why Kyle was selling a stock and barrel and bolt and magazine... Had he heard the receiver had blown up or the gun was worth more as parts ?? I can't remember?
confused2
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/14/17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Yea you two old guys might want to get your hearing checked rofl

Still waiting to see what the custom mark was? popcorn
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/15/17 01:44 AM

Where you been BF ??? I'll keep it all tuned up for you.

Been extraordinarily busy with work, selling the McKinney house and renovating the Prosper house. I hope to move in a few weeks if I can get a few days away from the office. Then I can unpack and set up my reloading gear which has been in storage for 4 months now bang

Good to see your new toy is a good shooter!

Re: Range report Barrett Fieldcraft and Berger Elite Hunters - 08/15/17 12:43 PM

looking forward to your new rifle too, lets head to JGs when you get moved in.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum