Texas Hunting Forum

Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post

Posted By: J.G.

Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 12:21 PM

If you're selling a rifle you say is a custom build, or brag about how tight it shoots, show a group picture for evidence. 100+ yards.

As far as I'm concerned I would show a group pic on ANY rifle I was selling.

If you're a bad shooter, or bad eyes, there's nothing wrong with showing the best you can do, and saying it's the best you can do, and you think the rifle can do better.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: killen

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 01:13 PM

if it shoots great I aint selling lol
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 01:14 PM

I've sold a couple that shot great, and I believe I posted groups for both IIRC. I agree that I don't really enjoy seeing threads asking big $ for guns because of their accuracy without any evidence of it.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 01:25 PM

Aw shucks, all you gotta do is let em know it's a tack driver.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 01:28 PM

Next thing you know everyone will be shooting 25 yard groups claiming they are 100 or 200 yard groups.
Posted By: LG

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

LOL.....
Posted By: GLC

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Next thing you know everyone will be shooting 25 yard groups claiming they are 100 or 200 yard groups.

roflmao That is one way of doing it.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 02:11 PM

I've got a Marlin 336 I'll sell ya. I won't post pictures of the group, but I'll guarantee it groups as well as my 12 guage at 100 yards.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
If you're selling a rifle you say is a custom build, or brag about how tight it shoots, show a group picture for evidence. 100+ yards.

If you're a bad shooter, or bad eyes, there's nothing wrong with showing the best you can do, and saying it's the best you can do, and you think the rifle can do better.

Just my opinion.

I agree 100% and I'll even go a step further and say to take a quick video of current rifle condition and shooting a group.

Here is a great example: http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6850442#Post6850442

Note - I'm not sure that photos of groups or videos attribute to selling quicker but it sure does reduce the amount of tire kicker PMs and texts you get!
Posted By: P_102

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 02:22 PM

Agree 100% on the pics, JG, including calipers if possible. Unfortunately, as has been stated, there's no guarantee on the distance. P_102
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 02:27 PM

Caveat emptor.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 02:35 PM

Posting targets would just another way for some here to attempt to show everyone how great they are, again. Seems some need their ego stroked every now and then.

Whatever floats someone's boat though.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 02:47 PM

I enjoy seeing pics of other's groups. And you can usually tell when someone's full of it, just by reading a few of their posts.
Posted By: jbd76266

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 04:10 PM

This is the internet...every gun shoots "one ragged hole".
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 04:29 PM

Just my opinion.

Well said. This is a good place to buy, sell, and trade. Lets keep it that way!

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 04:33 PM

For those concerned of short range groups claiming 100 yard groups, it's the world we live in, that doesn't possess integrity any longer.

However, 99% of the THF members I've dealt with have plenty of integrity.

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Posting targets would just another way for some here to attempt to show everyone how great they are, again. Seems some need their ego stroked every now and then.

Whatever floats someone's boat though.

This has nothing to do with someone's shooting skills. This has to do with the capability of a rifle for sale.

As usual, you go off on a tangent that doesn't have anything to do with the topic.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 04:52 PM

Be sure to add, "if I do my part" as a disclaimer.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch

Be sure to add, "if I do my part" as a disclaimer.

Ah yes. I didn't do my part on my post.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 05:19 PM

I'm a mediocre shot and a mediocre reloader. I do better when there is hair on it.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 05:21 PM

Hell I've had a rifle or two I wouldn't trust at 50 yards to stay consistent. And when I sold it I was upfront with the buyer it could be an issue and adjusted the price accordingly. But if you claim it's something with no proof it's just blowing smoke in my mind.

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 05:53 PM

I sold a semi-custom once, with a smoked barrel. I disclosed the barrel was done, and I was basically selling an action, bottom metal, and McMillan stock. I adjusted the price accordingly. The buyer wanted to see the groups it had made when the barrel was fresh because he was thinking of setting it back. I sent him pics, but said, I still know it needs a barrel. I don't know what he ever did with it.

There's gonna come a day, in the next several months, I will have a functioning rifle for sale. There will be the best groups I've been able to achieve with said rifle posted with the ad.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

this!!!!
Posted By: GLC

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I'm a mediocre shot and a mediocre reloader. I do better when there is hair on it.

eek2
Posted By: bo3

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 07:11 PM

There will be the best groups I've been able to achieve with said rifle posted with the ad.

Im not accusing you of it, just using an example (i know you know better). The pictures you will get will be the best group they have ever shot, not what the rifle will shoot consistently. It maybe a 1 moa gun but they will post the only .5 moa group the gun ever shot.

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: bo323
There will be the best groups I've been able to achieve with said rifle posted with the ad.

Im not accusing you of it, just using an example (i know you know better). The pictures you will get will be the best group they have ever shot, not what the rifle will shoot consistently. It maybe a 1 moa gun but they will post the only .5 moa group the gun ever shot.

Agreed, that is likely to happen with other folks. And it's probably not out of malice, just didn't know better.

I've got the benefit of being on a rifle range every week, so getting rounds down range is no big deal. Of course, that's not the case for everyone, and I get that.

If I ever sell a rifle, would three 3 shot groups for a Sporter barrel, and three 5 shot groups for a heavy barrel suffice?

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 07:19 PM

We need to fix that. wink
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/09/17 07:35 PM

If the accuracy is a reason to buy then I want a demonstration...

For example a decent ar15 should be a 1-1.5 moa gun max. Just because it did a .5 Moa group at one point doesn't mean anything

If I say I have a .5 Moa semi custom then I would want to see 1-3 groups fired lived to validate

And I agree with fireman be honest with what you are selling. If you rack rounds disclose, but if you don't disclose you don't. But you should know the performance expectations for guns before you buy it. Just because a gun has grouped bad doesn't mean it's bad. It means it doesn't like that bullet and or powder combo
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/11/17 09:16 AM

We need to fix that. wink

Agreed. Plan on it once I get things sorted out with my Dad.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/11/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bo323

Agreed, that is likely to happen with other folks. And it's probably not out of malice, just didn't know better.

I've got the benefit of being on a rifle range every week, so getting rounds down range is no big deal. Of course, that's not the case for everyone, and I get that.

If I ever sell a rifle, would three 3 shot groups for a Sporter barrel, and three 5 shot groups for a heavy barrel suffice?

It would work for me for the most part. I could think of a few exceptions, but not worth getting into.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/11/17 10:53 PM

I'd trust a pic of any group posted, and i'd believe anything a fisherman told me and i've never known a politician to misinform their constituents.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Let's set a higher standard in the Firearms Trading Post - 08/12/17 05:50 PM

On a few occasions I've met at a gun range as both a buyer and seller. Always glad I did and not opposed to it in the future. If you're dropping $$$$$ on a used gun or optic why not?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum