Texas Hunting Forum

Replace this firing pin or no?

Posted By: LFD2037

Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 02:00 AM

This is a FP out of my AR-10 (DPMS G2) 7.62x51. I had some crappy ammo that was way hot & primers were blowing. This is after I cleaned it today. It seems burned pretty bad & that's all the 'crust' I could get off it. Should I replace this FP?

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 02:03 AM

If it won't clean up, maybe you should. Looks hosed up.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 02:32 AM

I think I will. Supposedly this FP is titanium but I question that. The only one I can find for it is a DPMS titanium one for $40 is the only reason I'm hesitant. Anybody know if the G2 uses a standard 7.62 BCG firing pin or if it's some odd-ball due to the BCG on the G2 being so much smaller than a standard ar-10 BCG?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 03:42 AM

Mail it to me before you throw it away.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

So you can use it or check it out or ? I'm going to take a razor blade to it & see if I can clean it up. It really looks like it's been melted but keeps firing just fine.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 06:14 AM

Soak it in slip 2000 carbon killer
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 07:24 AM

Run it through a tumbler and that should clean it.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 10:35 AM

Sea Foam MIGHT work also.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

So you can use it or check it out or ? I'm going to take a razor blade to it & see if I can clean it up. It really looks like it's been melted but keeps firing just fine.

So I can clean it.

Brass brush on a bench grinder.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 11:29 AM

A new one is like $10, doesn't hurt to have items like firing pins, firing pin retaining pins, gas rings, extractors etc on hand

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: SR025
A new one is like $10, doesn't hurt to have items like firing pins, firing pin retaining pins, gas rings, extractors etc on hand

The only one available for this gun is $40, as posted above. Reply from DPMS this morning:
"It does not look as if it needs immediate replacement, but we always recommend having a field repair kit for the rifles at all times which includes the firing pin. Thank you".
I'll clean the snot out of it and post back. Can y'all tell in the picks that the end has been melted and is just a blob of what it used to be? It's pitted and deformed but I don't know if y'all can tell that from the pics. I'll clean it tomorrow and try to get a more detailed pic. Thanks!
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 02:10 PM

My G2 was blowing primers and it was due to over sized firing pin hole in the bolt. Sent back they put a new bolt in and it was fixed early production it was an issue. If it keeps blowing primers I would send it in for replacement or you are going to keep cooking the pin.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 05:40 PM

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bol...-prod44162.aspx

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter
My G2 was blowing primers and it was due to over sized firing pin hole in the bolt. Sent back they put a new bolt in and it was fixed early production it was an issue. If it keeps blowing primers I would send it in for replacement or you are going to keep cooking the pin.

Mine is the newer style yours was changed to. It was an ammo issue. Thanks.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/17/17 07:00 PM

Thanks, but DPMS told me today the firing pin to the G2 is proprietary and it's the only one that'll work. Thanks anyways!
Posted By: Stykes

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/18/17 01:00 AM

Clean it, scrape off the carbon, oil it and it should be good to go. It looks good from the pics.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/18/17 01:10 PM

Better pics. The carbon fouling wasn't ever part of my concern, it's the melted tip. Thanks for the input!

Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/18/17 01:20 PM

If that was my rig I would replace since you have eliminated the firing pin hole size as the issue. That tip from the pics looks rough and I am guessing will continue to give you problems.

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/18/17 01:36 PM

Wow. I'll bet that sucker will pierce every primer it lights from now on.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/19/17 03:11 AM

I'm a cheapskate, but I'd probably spend the $40 and replace it.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/19/17 03:19 AM

I would replace. I want everything I use to be the tits
Posted By: fgdn

Re: Replace this firing pin or no? - 05/19/17 10:16 PM

price of a firing pin

replace

keep extras all the time,
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum