Texas Hunting Forum

Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back

Posted By: hetman

Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/14/17 11:53 PM

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/civilian-marksmanship-program-86000-m1s-coming-back-army-future/

Ah, this is the type of news article that’s going to piss a lot of people off because of the dearth of specifics on when exactly the shoe will drop.  So, my apologies in advance.
But yes, I know, I desperately want one too — we all want one before they’re all sold out. Anyways, here’s the skinny, which basically boils down to one unhelpful sentence.
“There are 86,000 or so M1s hopefully coming back to the Army. We hope to see them in the future,” Mark Johnson, Chief Operating Officer of the Civilian Marksmanship Program, told several gun blogs.
It was confirmed by Steve Cooper, CMP North General Manager & Marketing Manager, who told GunsAmerica via email, “We are patiently waiting! Obviously we would be very happy to receive more rifles!”
Great! What are we supposed to do with that information? Check the CMP website every day until the guns suddenly appear?

1911:

The CMP isn’t the holdup on releasing the 1911s for sale, it’s the Secretary of the Army. To quote Mark Johnson, CMP’s Chief Operating Officer as posted on their website, “The CMP is NOT authorized to receive or disburse the 1911s at this point. We have not yet received the approval required from the Secretary of the Army by the legislation.”
Because these pistols are authentic U.S. issue, their appeal will mostly be as collector items, not as bargain basement shooters, so CMP’s pricing will reflect that fact. It’s nothing more than the marketplace at work; consumer demand will drive the pricing.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/15/17 01:32 AM

Ridiculous
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/16/17 08:28 PM

I think if you can prove you were paying taxes at the time the guns were originally purchased by the government then you should be eligible to receive one for free. Your tax dollars bought them. I think it should be this way with all government property.
Posted By: Mister Sir

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/18/17 11:48 AM

What's the guess of cost for one? Always wanted one but a thousand dollars is outta my league.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/18/17 02:40 PM

$600ish+ maybe
Posted By: Cast

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/18/17 03:23 PM

I got mine a while back. It was $1,000 at the Huntsville store.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/18/17 08:20 PM

There are still some available from the CMP from $860 to over $3k. There are various grades and configurations available but many are sold out. The hope is that there will be a new shipment that will rebuild the CMP inventory. There were some available in the $600 range a few years back.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
Posted By: HankePanky

Re: Civilian Marksmanship Program: ‘86,000 M1s Coming Back - 04/19/17 08:56 PM

Hopefully such a high number being imported will lower the price a little.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum