Texas Hunting Forum

Short Barrel 6MM?

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 12:47 AM

Anyone have a stubby 6mm rifle? I'm building a Dasher so I can win Jason's match next year. I was thinking about adding a shorty to the collection while I'm at it. Something under 20" would be an awesome rifle for the popup blind.
Posted By: redmist1

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 01:18 AM

You may have a feeding problem with the 6 Dasher or 6br. The 6 Creedmoor will feed more reliable than them.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: redmist1
You may have a feeding problem with the 6 Dasher or 6br. The 6 Creedmoor will feed more reliable than them.

In a bolt action?

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 01:50 AM

Yes I tried it in a bolt and they did not feed very well at all,

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 01:57 AM

Yes I tried it in a bolt and they did not feed very well at all,

Hmm. What action were you using?

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 02:03 AM

Rem

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 02:10 AM

I am having S&S precision build me a 18 inch 6.5 Creedmoor I saw a couple of theirs and they looked really good and feed well.They had them going 2800 feet per second with a hundred and thirty grain bullet.They also had good success with the 6 millimeter Creedmoor.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 02:38 AM

I am having S&S precision build me a 18 inch 6.5 Creedmoor I saw a couple of theirs and they looked really good and feed well.They had them going 2800 feet per second with a hundred and thirty grain bullet.They also had good success with the 6 millimeter Creedmoor.

I saw a couple of their rifles at Jason's last match. They build very nice rifles.

My buddy Paul is a PRS shooter. He has several Dashers built on Surgeon actions and he hasn't had any problems at all. I'll be building my long range rig on the new Curtis Axion. Hopefully it'll feed without any issues.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 02:50 AM

surgeons are a little out of my price range. good luck with your project keep us apprised on how it turns out.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 02:53 AM

surgeons are a little out of my price range. good luck with your project keep us apprised on how it turns out.

They're out of my price range too. The new Curtis actions are half the price. I'll keep y'all posted.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 03:00 AM

Maybe next year I will bring My Creed to the match and see if I can give you a run for your money

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 03:04 AM

Maybe next year I will bring My Creed to the match and see if I can give you a run for your money

If I shoot like I did last time, you can bring your Red Ryder and kick my arse with it.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 03:08 AM

L O L
Posted By: Judd

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 03:50 AM

I've yet to hear anyone using this and say a br had troubles feeding. https://primalrights.com/equipment/6br-aics-conversion

redmist is right though, it is a fairly common problem.

I'm on my third dasher barrel and second brx (all in a single shot custom action), they are awesome but don't do well in a short barrel. The 6 Creedmoor or 6SLR would be my two choices in a short 6.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
I've yet to hear anyone using this and say a br had troubles feeding. https://primalrights.com/equipment/6br-aics-conversion

redmist is right though, it is a fairly common problem.

I'm on my third dasher barrel and second brx (all in a single shot custom action), they are awesome but don't do well in a short barrel. The 6 Creedmoor or 6SLR would be my two choices in a short 6.

What kind of round count are you getting from your Dasher barrels?

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 04:46 AM

My accuracy requirement is going to be different than yours. I'll tell ya, I can get about 1200 rounds out of them before they start opening up to the point they can't hold a 2.25" small clay at 250y.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

If I shoot like I did last time, you can bring your Red Ryder and kick my arse with it.

rofl That is funny.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:20 AM

My accuracy requirement is going to be different than yours. I'll tell ya, I can get about 1200 rounds out of them before they start opening up to the point they can't hold a 2.25" small clay at 250y.

wow that is not many rounds , how many will the 6br deliver accurately
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 02:13 PM

Remington made the 600 chambered in 6mm Rem (1964-1967), it had an 18½" barrel. Know of several guys here in South Texas that have have been hunting with them since new. They do have a rib on the barrel but it seems like the 6mm goes for about $500 to $600.

You might also find one that has had the rib lugs professionally removed and barrel refinished. Once aftermarket aluminum & steel ribs were available to replace the nylon rib, that modification slowed because of the value that original, updated rifles can bring. These rifles have also been used for builds.

I have one chambered in 35 Rem, only a bit over 3,000 made in this cartridge. Super hunting rifle. Mine is configured with the Burris scout mount that features quick release rings with "zero" return with the rear sight milled into base. The mounts are as hard to find as a 600 chambered in 35 Rem.

My rifle has the aluminum rib, steel trigger guard (blind magazine), and Timney drop in trigger/safety.

Posted By: dee

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

I saw a couple of their rifles at Jason's last match. They build very nice rifles.

My buddy Paul is a PRS shooter. He has several Dashers built on Surgeon actions and he hasn't had any problems at all. I'll be building my long range rig on the new Curtis Axion. Hopefully it'll feed without any issues.

It seems hit or miss on who you talk to about dasher feeding. Some have zero issues others need the kit judd posted. 6mm br seems to not feed well at all vs the brx and dasher out of aics mags.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 04:21 PM

wow that is not many rounds , how many will the 6br deliver accurately

Don't know honestly because I've only had one and it was used and shot out before I bought it. It'd guess it would be a few hundred more...not enough to offset the speed, in my opinion.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 04:49 PM

I returned Jeremy's call this morning.

He wants barrel life. In my opinion, 6mm and barrel life do not go together. He also wants mild recoil.

I had an idea for him, maybe it's a good one, maybe not.

6.5 X 47 Lapua loaded with 130 Hybrids.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:01 PM

A lot of the okies run 6.5x47 and if they ran 130 hard the barrel life suffered. Keep in mind they were running fadt to get equivalent or better ballistics than 140s.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:09 PM

Right.

Here's my thinking. He wants it short-ish and handy, which creates loss of velocity.
6.5 X 47 Lapua just won't make the speed of a 6.5 Creedmoor because of case capacity. But that also means it's not eroding the throat as badly. He has the twist to run 140's or 130's. 130's will gain some velocity back after having lost it by cutting down the barrel. My recommendation is to develop a load for both bullets. Then run them down my range, hopefully in some wind, and see what you see. If the 140's, going slower, do well run those. If the 130's going faster makes him happier, run those.

Yes, no?

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:42 PM

I'm pretty much out on the 6mm for a competition rifle. I don't have the money, patience or desire to rebarrel every few months. I have a 6.5mm Bartlein in the closet already, so I'll probably go back to Creedmoor for my long range match rifle.

I do already have a left-handed action and stock to build a short, lightweight rig for hunting. The Dasher might be perfect for that. My son also shoots left-handed, so the less recoil, the better. He's a little dude.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:48 PM

If barrel life is main concern and short barrel you won't beat a 308 or 223...but y'all know that. My point is don't buy or build on barrel life. There are gunsmiths always looking for work and they make barrels while we sleep at nite...build what you want and not what the barrel life is.

A short 6 would be fun but you need something with some case capacity in order to build the speed, that is why I don't think the dasher works here. But a 6 Creedmoor, 6slr or even a 6x47 would be fun.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:51 PM

Typed that while you were, enjoy the Creedmoor. Nothing wrong with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Dasher would be cool for someone, like me, who doesn't like recoil.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 05:57 PM

If barrel life is main concern and short barrel you won't beat a 308 or 223...but y'all know that. My point is don't buy or build on barrel life. There are gunsmiths always looking for work and they make barrels while we sleep at nite...build what you want and not what the barrel life is.

A short 6 would be fun but you need something with some case capacity in order to build the speed, that is why I don't think the dasher works here. But a 6 Creedmoor, 6slr or even a 6x47 would be fun.

Barrel life isn't my main concern, but it's definitely a consideration if I'm looking at a new rifle. I dont expect eternal barrel life, but I do expect 2000+ accurate rounds.

I could only find one example of a short 6 Dasher online. The guy said he's getting 2800+ fps with 90 grain hunting bullets out of an 18" barrel. I could live with those numbers.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 07:18 PM

If you're not too concerned about speed a 6mm tcu or 6mmx45 might work very well. Bullets in the 80-90gr area.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/19/17 09:46 PM

What's wrong with a good ol' .243? Chads initial loads that I chose were 3100 fps with 87 gr. VLD's.
Chop the 24" bbl down to 20 and your probably close to 3,000. P_102
Posted By: bo3

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/20/17 06:02 PM

Im using a 16" 243. Its running a 105 amax @ 2750 fps.

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/20/17 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bo323
Im using a 16" 243. Its running a 105 amax @ 2750 fps.

nice, I would not of thought it would go that fast.what powder are you using if you don't mind me asking
Posted By: 4dog

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/20/17 09:59 PM

Was gonna say 243...but it looked like you were dead set on "other" 6's....glad someone else said it though.
Posted By: bo3

Re: Short Barrel 6MM? - 03/21/17 01:52 AM

Im using h4350. I looked back my velocity and its 2700.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum