Texas Hunting Forum

Groups??

Posted By: DLALLDER

Groups?? - 01/13/17 12:23 AM

What causes a group to string horizontal? Half inch groups that shots are touching. Gun, load, shooter or something else. Thanks again to
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 12:34 AM

Trigger control
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Trigger control

^^Can be one of the reasons. I've shocked people when showing them how much they are negatively affecting their shots with poor trigger control, and lack of follow-through.

Horizontal dispersion can also be the load. You might be near a good load, but below it, or above it in powder charge.

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 01:29 AM

Jason, how much should I vary the load, up and down? 223 with 24.5 gr of varget & 69 gr. Nosler CCs
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 01:33 AM

.2 grains up or down for adjustment, for a 223 case. When a group strings (if it's not something else causing it), you have either just passed an accuracy node or are approaching one.

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 01:48 AM

Thanks. Will be working on new loads over the next few days.
Posted By: dee

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 02:59 AM

I'm assuming ar? If bolt gun could be bedding issues.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 03:12 AM

When I see horizontal stringing, the first place I look is to make sure rings and mounts are tight, then I look for a bedding/binding issue.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 02:30 PM

Half inch groups? Do you really expect much better?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
Jason, how much should I vary the load, up and down? 223 with 24.5 gr of varget & 69 gr. Nosler CCs

Of course I agree with Chad. For a .223 case, I step in .2 gr increments.

I failed to mention tightness of all the screws on the rifle, and rings. I made an assumption everyone knows to confirm those things first. Assumptions get everyone in trouble.

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 04:42 PM

Bases and rings have been torqued to accepted specs. Gun is a Savage model 12 LPV. Doc, yes I hope the gun will produce better groups, may have to get a different shooter but I think the gun is better than half inch
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 09:32 PM

Better than 1/2 MOA? Maybe.

What power scope? Bags or rest? The rifle may be shooting 1 hole groups but other variables are causing the results.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 10:11 PM

3 shots or 5? Pics of groups?
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Groups?? - 01/13/17 10:21 PM

Bases and rings have been torqued to accepted specs. Gun is a Savage model 12 LPV. Doc, yes I hope the gun will produce better groups, may have to get a different shooter but I think the gun is better than half inch
I know of one that's shooting better than .5 MOA, but it took A LOT of tweaking on the loads to get there. Have you taken the trigger pull down any? I think that model has the target trigger that will go down to 8 oz.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Groups?? - 01/14/17 12:18 AM

need to see pictures of groups
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Groups?? - 01/14/17 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Of course I agree with Chad. For a .223 case, I step in .2 gr increments.

I failed to mention tightness of all the screws on the rifle, and rings. I made an assumption everyone knows to confirm those things first. Assumptions get everyone in trouble.

Happened to me a few weeks ago. Couldn't group my 7mm-08 with new scope on. I didn't know what was happening. I thought I was just off or something. When I drove home I checked the rings and the Loctite didn't set for some reason and the scope ring screws were loose. bang
Posted By: DH3

Re: Groups?? - 01/14/17 11:22 PM

If you are using a wood stocked rifle, barrel is heating up and drift is AWAY from contact w/wood. If not, check wind direction,. trigger control,scope mounting or number of beers, night before you shoot.

Re: Groups?? - 01/17/17 01:57 PM

Right or wrong, the REM 700 Mt rifle is bedded and all pressure pts gone. If weather holds plan to check it out this afternoon.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Groups?? - 01/17/17 02:16 PM

Right or wrong, the REM 700 Mt rifle is bedded and all pressure pts gone. If weather holds plan to check it out this afternoon.

You do the bedding yourself? My dad wants me to do his. Mind sharing what you used?

You put in pillars also?

Re: Groups?? - 01/17/17 02:20 PM

Redchevy, I did not do the work. Have a gunsmith friend that did it. He also work
ed on trigger 5+ lb to 2.5 now.
This is not the same gun I posted about earlier. That is a 223, this is a 7x57.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum