Texas Hunting Forum

"Truck Gun" thoughts .....

Posted By: Creedmoor

"Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 03:58 PM

I have decided to store a gun in the vehicle. (I always carry a handgun) I have a 18" pump 12 gauge shotgun that I can use, or a 16" AR-15 with a red dot sight. This will be solely for "SHTF", self defense, or dispatching a wounded animal or one hit by a vehicle. I can't see any time I would use the gun for hunting or taking a live animal.

I can see good and bad for either gun, but was looking for other insight. Which would you choose?
Posted By: wtjim

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:06 PM

AR for SD. Can use it at any range but most importantly find a quick access but secure mount so it doesn't get stolen...
Posted By: J.G.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:09 PM

16" AR is the all the time truck gun for me. Same exact reasons you listed. That's the reasoning for the new load development. I keep a slim little 10 rounder in it, and have four 30 round mags full. Mine wears an SS 1-6X, and it's the perfect optic for the carbine.
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:18 PM

If by "store a gun in the vehicle" you mean you intend to leave it in the vehicle at all times, then select the one you will be least upset about when it is stolen out of the vehicle. Whatever long gun you go with, please be responsible enough to secure it in some manner: locking gun rack; cable lock, pad lock or similar.

Rather than an AR or a shotgun, I recommend you consider a trapper-length (16" bbl) lever-action in .357 or .44 magnum.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:23 PM

I plan to mount an over the head two gun rack in my pickup to carry my 12 gage 870 and a AR carbine....

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Nate C.
If by "store a gun in the vehicle" you mean you intend to leave it in the vehicle at all times, then select the one you will be least upset about when it is stolen out of the vehicle. Whatever long gun you go with, please be responsible enough to secure it in some manner: locking gun rack; cable lock, pad lock or similar.

Rather than an AR or a shotgun, I recommend you consider a trapper-length (16" bbl) lever-action in .357 or .44 magnum.

I appreciate the input, and I have taken into consideration the fact that I may indeed lose it at some point to a car thief, etc.

But why the lever gun over the AR-15? They hold fewer rounds, are less accurate, are longer than an AR-15 with a collapsible stock, and follow up shots take longer.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:48 PM

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt, what a fun gun.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:51 PM

I keep a 15 shot model 60 under the back seat of my truck to accompany my 9mm

Wearing a 4x scope, not many things I can think of that it won't get me out of that I'm going to encounter on my daily route
Posted By: tth_40

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm

I have a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt, what a fun gun.

Great rifle right there. up
Posted By: BigPig

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 05:46 PM

I think it's irresponsible to leave a gun in a vehicle that isn't secured out of sight. One of the things I hate most is recovering a stolen gun that was taken in a BMV. I keep a pistol on ME at all times. Other than while on duty, I can't see a reason to have a rifle riding shotgun in my vehicle.

The vast majority of violent encounters, including mass/active shootings are within 3 yards and most of those are within 3 feet. The argument of " I only use my pistol to get me to my rifle" is ridiculous in the civilian world

Just my 2cents and I haven't had my coffee yet
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 05:47 PM

AR
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I think it's irresponsible to leave a gun in a vehicle that isn't secured out of sight. One of the things I hate most is recovering a stolen gun that was taken in a BMV. I keep a pistol on ME at all times. Other than while on duty, I can't see a reason to have a rifle riding shotgun in my vehicle.

The vast majority of violent encounters, including mass/active shootings are within 3 yards and most of those are within 3 feet. The argument of " I only use my pistol to get me to my rifle" is ridiculous in the civilian world

I drive around on ranches and in rural areas all day long. I need to have a rifle with me

I do keep it out of sight most of the time
Posted By: MClark

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 05:52 PM

If you leave a red dot in the truck summer heat is hard on the batteries. May not work when needed.

M

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Well ........ go get your coffee !!!! cheers

Seriously, I do appreciate the input. I have an SUV and it will be well hidden and secured under the rear seat. And I'm not all gung-ho nor a survivalist. But with the state of the country right now I just feel the need to have some type of long gun handy. I live in Chattanooga and was about 50 yards from the shooter when he attacked the Recruiting Stations here. Might be foolish ... or even stupid to some. But that's my decision. wink
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 06:06 PM

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I carry an AR in the vehicle at certain times, but i don't leave it there---even just overnight.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 07:15 PM

ruger ranch rifle .223, 1-6 sightmark optic

out $400-$500 if stolen

keep my $3000 AR in the safe

just saw a VERY cheap AR like $400 don't know if you could hit anything with it?? same with an AK or SSK, can hit chit with one of those POS
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 07:46 PM

A vehicle is NOT secure storage for a firearm! When you leave, it goes with you! Those of you that were in the military know better!
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 07:58 PM

what about a ruger 10/22 takedown?

Deadly, light, cheap, easy to store/hide and do it all gun. You can put some serious lead down range and on target. On target being the key word to being deadly.

With some serious bullets this rifle can be a substantial "enough" weapon.

Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
A vehicle is NOT secure storage for a firearm! When you leave, it goes with you! Those of you that were in the military know better!

This. Had two friends who were convinced they needed to take their rifles places they absolutely didn't need them. One spent a pretty penny on some lockable ceiling rack for guns. All the guns were stolen. Between the two of them they lost a nice AK, a nice AR, a rem 870 12ga, and a mossberg pistol grip 410 shotgun.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
what about a ruger 10/22 takedown?

Deadly, light, cheap, easy to store/hide and do it all gun. You can put some serious lead down range and on target. On target being the key word to being deadly.

With some serious bullets this rifle can be a substantial "enough" weapon.

I have actually looked seriously at those. May have to take another look though. up
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 08:13 PM

I like to bring my AR to Chipotle when I eat a burrito bowl.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 08:43 PM

AK, SKS, or AR

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/07/17 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I like to bring my AR to Chipotle when I eat a burrito bowl.

cheers
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 12:00 AM

My truck gun is a 10/22 with a folding stock it has a 4x.scope now but going to move to a red dot. This gun never leaves the truck and has handled all the unexpected events I have come across in all the years it has been in the back seat. Is it ideal for everything no but it is always there and I have shot brick after brick is shells through it so I am 100% confident in it.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 12:39 AM

If in an SUV, look at the truck vaults... would seriously deter a thief...
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 12:41 AM

The 10/22 is a great option, several mags, a brick of ammo, etc. It's one of my favorites. And someone that is good with it, can have several AR's in a few minutes if SHTF...

Also, if you have to have a centerfire... the Sig 556 with the folding stock sure makes a nice truck gun, or an HK93 or clone...
Posted By: janie

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
If in an SUV, look at the truck vaults... would seriously deter a thief...

I've looked at those and they are nice. Secure is paramount if you absolutely have to leave it in your vehicle. Good quality pair of handcuff's is another option. Loop one end thru the trigger guard and the other to the bottom of your seat bracket, where it bolts to the floorboard.

Foolproof? Doubtful, but the longer some perp has to work, the more likely they'll say the hell with it and move on.

As far as which firearm for a designated truck gun. I'm partial to a bolt action .410 or 20 ga.

Cheap and they do serve a purpose.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 01:13 AM

you will never get to rifle in time if its locked up.

it has to be disposable. if you use it popo will take it anyway
Posted By: ccoker

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 01:20 AM

Ideally, a suppressed SBR AR with an Aimpoint..

I do think a cheap old 30/30 is ideal or one in 357 mag or 44...
Would work if you needed it and if it got stolen you are out 350 bucks...
Posted By: 7six2

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 03:59 AM

Personally, unless your profession is directly related to public safety, I would stay away from toting around a tactical rifle because if you did end up using it against another person it could be twisted around in court to look like your one those types that's just out looking for trouble. Also consider that if SHTF law enforcement is going to be on edge and someone wielding an "assault rifle" could be mistaken for the enemy. As was mentioned earlier, if you feel like you need a long gun in the truck, then pick a good 'ol pump shotgun or lever gun or 22 cal...learn to shoot it well and if poop really hit the fan you can "acquire" more firepower later.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 04:02 PM

Depends on your use I guess. I used to carry a cheapo Savage Axis .308, now I carry a Marlin 336 levergun in .35 Rem.

My truck gun is for shooting varmints and hogs and such. I don't get worked up about SHTF stuff - though either one would kill a zombie just as dead as an AR.....
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 04:21 PM

Since a handgun is already in play I like a shotgun.
Just for conversation sake say a Rem 870 20 gauge.
Youth model is easier to stow, with no plug of course.

Again just in theory a 22 lr revolver is very
versatile.

I'm also not a fan of leaving firearms unattended
which is basically what often happens. Unfortunately
few situations will be ideal.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 04:50 PM

I suspect that there are radically different approaches based on where you live/work. A guy/gal who lives and works in a rural area is a different situation than a commuter in the Metroplex for example.

I've been a .357mag/12ga guy for 40 years. My truck is parked in my garage at night and inside my shop at work.

Marc
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 06:11 PM

I can't legally being a firearm into the gate at work so I don't do the "truck gun" thing. It's my only major complaint with my job. When I'm on the road or at the property a 357 Rossi lever gun rides with me.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 07:33 PM

With today's ammunition, and 75 yds and under, compact and cheap, no big tears if lost, my vote would be Highpoint.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I can't legally being a firearm into the gate at work so I don't do the "truck gun" thing. It's my only major complaint with my job. When I'm on the road or at the property a 357 Rossi lever gun rides with me.
I thought this law was changed? Unless you work on federal govt property maybe? Private employers are not allowed to ban guns in cars.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/08/17 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I thought this law was changed? Unless you work on federal govt property maybe? Private employers are not allowed to ban guns in cars.

Chemical plants and refineries are federal no go areas.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/09/17 05:28 AM

A lever action 30-30 or a SKS 7.62x39 both available under $400. I favor the lever action 30-30 myself.
Posted By: SR025

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/09/17 05:30 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
With today's ammunition, and 75 yds and under, compact and cheap, no big tears if lost, my vote would be Highpoint.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/09/17 11:29 AM

high speed low drag there! roflmao
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/09/17 02:40 PM

The AR because it's multipurpose. But I'd go cheap and get this one. If it gets stolen you're out $300. For about $60 more you can get the Axis II and have an accutrigger. 243 will kill anything you may come across and can serve as a more than capable backup/loaner rifle for deer season. I wouldn't give $20 for a BUshnell scope but consider it basically free. If you want a more compact rifle get the youth.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70938/Savage+AXIS+XP+243+WSCOPE
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/10/17 03:35 AM

One you can hide
Posted By: HankePanky

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/10/17 05:04 PM

The newer iterations of the classic Scout Rifle might fit your bill. They are light, carbine length and are available in larger calibers than an AR-15, such as .308. While AR-10's are capable of handling the larger calibers, they are heavy and generally longer than a scout. Most of the new scouts are external mag fed, come with iron sights and the ability to mount a traditional scope or scout scope/red-dot in front of the action. They are great general purpose guns and a lot of companies are making them right now. Mossberg's MVP is a fairly inexpensive option if you're worried about it getting stolen.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/10/17 09:37 PM

Just had a customer order this for his new truck gun! It will be here tomorrow! flag

FN M249S Para
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 02:12 AM

Don't store a gun inside a vehicle.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 02:53 AM

I was just checking out the Ruger American stainless compacts. It probably wouldn't replace my Rossi 357 trapper, but might work good for someone else.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg

This ^...

But some will disagree.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 07:38 PM

[quote=Ranch Dawg]Don't store a gun inside a vehicle.

This ^...

But some will disagree. [/quote

Arming a criminal isn't a good idea. Especially if he acquires it in your driveway.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 10:27 PM

I would get a short barrel for the AR and turn it into an SBR. Much easier to store and handle from inside the vehicle. up
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Creedmoor
Originally Posted by Nate C.

I appreciate the input, and I have taken into consideration the fact that I may indeed lose it at some point to a car thief, etc.

But why the lever gun over the AR-15? They hold fewer rounds, are less accurate, are longer than an AR-15 with a collapsible stock, and follow up shots take longer.

I would assume he says lever gun due to the fact that it is cheap in case it gets stolen. Yes, less rounds, yes, slightly longer time for follow up shots. Practice with it and you would be suprised how fast those follow up shots can be with a good lever gun. Do not drop the stock from your shoulder to operate the lever.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/12/17 11:00 PM

This ^...

But some will disagree.

Yeah, I'd like to do it, but I know how pissed I'd be and how stupid I'd feel if it got ripped off. If I secured it enough to keep that from happening, I'd have also secured it enough to keep me from getting to it in a timely manner. In the event I used my CCW to get to it, and got it out, if I still needed it at that point (which would be a 1 in a trillion chance) I'm likely in a battle I'm not going to win. The perps are either stupid enough to hang around or numbered/armed enough to defeat me. It's a lot like fighting, the first couple of punches will have determined the outcome long before I get to the hay-maker.

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/13/17 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

This ^...

But some will disagree.

Yeah, I'd like to do it, but I know how pissed I'd be and how stupid I'd feel if it got ripped off. If I secured it enough to keep that from happening, I'd have also secured it enough to keep me from getting to it in a timely manner. In the event I used my CCW to get to it, and got it out, if I still needed it at that point (which would be a 1 in a trillion chance) I'm likely in a battle I'm not going to win. The perps are either stupid enough to hang around or numbered/armed enough to defeat me. It's a lot like fighting, the first couple of punches will have determined the outcome long before I get to the hay-maker.

I was referring to individuals who leave guns in cars/trucks unattended. Leaving a gun in an unattended vehicle door panel, armrest or glove box does not define responsible gun ownership. Those same individuals will then come here to complain about being ripped off. A thief is a thief as well as a POS but why make it easy for them? Build your security in layers and refuse to be a victim!
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/13/17 03:30 AM

Cheap AK.
Posted By: Pondfishin

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/13/17 04:23 AM

I like my AR pistol as a truck gun. I generally have the brace an inch or two forward and could save an inch or two without the flash can. Honestly an ideal truck gun IMO.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/13/17 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

I would assume he says lever gun due to the fact that it is cheap in case it gets stolen. Yes, less rounds, yes, slightly longer time for follow up shots. Practice with it and you would be suprised how fast those follow up shots can be with a good lever gun. Do not drop the stock from your shoulder to operate the lever.

Not this fast. And I really like lever guns. https://youtu.be/TuNSB9jkpyQ
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/13/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Not this fast. And I really like lever guns. https://youtu.be/TuNSB9jkpyQ

I love Jerry. And no, not that fast. I'd be happy with myself if I could be half as quick as either of them!
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: "Truck Gun" thoughts ..... - 01/14/17 11:41 PM

AR in 6.5 Grendel. Built as cheap as I could live with. I don't park this truck anywhere I think there is a chance of theft. This being a ranch truck it is full of tools and equipment. I do take it to my office in town often but park right outside my window.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum