Texas Hunting Forum

Short Mag in a Model 7?

Posted By: Crews

Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/05/17 09:40 AM

I have recently been gifted a very nice, smooth Model 7 rifle that was chambered in 350 Remington Mag. Awesome rifle, but I really have no need for such an obsolete round. I would really like to do something with the action. Obvious choice would be a compact/lightweight 7-08 or something like that, but I've already got that covered.

What I could use is a magnum round in the arsenal. I would love to get the action rebarreled to some sort of short magnum round and drop it in an XLR chassis. That would mean it would be fed via AICS mags. This would strictly be a long range hunting rig, so I am willing to deal with high ammo cost.

My question is this: can this be done? Are there any short mag cartridges that would work well through through AICS mags and a short Model 7 action? I'm partial to 6.5 if that makes any difference.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/05/17 02:29 PM

First, I apologize that I cannot help you with your question.

Second, IMO you have something of a unicorn there. It's a great cartridge and that gun is worth some money. Put it in the safe and take it on a bear/moose hunt in the future!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/05/17 02:46 PM

When I bought my last rifle the choice was down to a 300 wby or a Model 7 in 350 rem mag. Not a day goes buy that I don't wish I had bought the 350 RM. I'd sell it and buy something else to build from if you had no interest in the gun.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/05/17 03:29 PM

Dang, I didn't think they were that valuable.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/05/17 03:55 PM

I say keep it, take care of it, shoot it every once in awhile and a hunt to use it on will come along. Have Chad make you some ammo for it
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/05/17 04:16 PM

Not sure how valuable they are. Probaly a little more than one in a run of the mill caliber but your not going to retire on it.

I just wouldn't molest a needle in a haystack kinda gun.
Posted By: catfish391

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/06/17 01:35 PM

Keep the 350RM and just buy a model seven or 700 in the 300 short mag
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Short Mag in a Model 7? - 01/06/17 08:47 PM

6.5 WSM go see the guy in Dayton TX, Charlie Sisk, who is a nationally known and respected gunsmith.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum