Texas Hunting Forum

Tikka decision

Posted By: jab3006

Tikka decision - 01/04/17 12:31 AM

Well I was all set to buy a tikka t3x CTR, but then I came across the T3x TAC, basically same as the CTR, but with adjustable stock, and heavier barrel profile. From what I can find the TAC uses the same barrel as the sako trg, and a cheaper magazine. The CTR uses the more expensive trg magazine. I plan to keep the factory stock on whatever I decide to get. The TAC is a little more expensive from what I can tell, but I have not gotten a price quote from my the gun shop yet. I was quoted 885.00 + tax for the CTR. Anyone done a side by side comparison on these two rifles?? I wish I could see and hold both rifles before I decide, but no one around here has them. Decisions decisions!!
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 01:00 AM

I can't advise you on which to buy, but I would check prices at www.grabagun.com before you make the deal. They're hard to beat on Tikkas.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 01:03 AM

Either will be fine . The tac model is slightly heavier. Depending on which caliber you want should dictate which model you choose. If your wanting a 308 it is offered in both models . The tac model not having TRG mags would make it a little more appealing. Not being offered in 260 or 6.5 creedmoor would be a deal breaker for me.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 02:25 AM

I like that TAC.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 02:34 AM

CTR. Bottom metal with trg magazines is superior. The stocks on all tikkas are junk.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 02:44 AM

TAC looks similar to the Varmint with an adjustable cheek piece. After having my Varmint for awhile, that's probably the only feature I wouldn't mind adding. I love it as-is, but that would be a nice feature. The Varmint is also considerably cheaper, so you do pay for that difference.

I'd go with the TAC just for the cheaper mags if nothing else. I don't think the CTR even has an adjustable cheek piece, so I'm not sure why you would even buy that over the Varmint? The TAC looks like the ticket to me. I don't like the blued bolt & handle, but cosmetics are not a deal-breaker for me on a functional rifle like this.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 06:33 PM

I like the looks of both, and the tikka stocks don't bother me. My 695 3006 is a TAC driver in the factory stock. The heavier barrel adjustable cheek piece and cheaper mags has me leaning toward the TAC. For my purposes I can't see needing the 10 rounds and more expensive trg mag.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 06:40 PM

i have the Tac, for a cheap plastic stock , the rifle as a whole shot well
good trigger, compact/handi for hunting and short range target

They guarantee 1 MOA, i shot it with my handload 165 gr BT with .020" jump and was able to
squeeze .5" groups

it put a SAKO brake on mine; killed 4 deer with it so far
will put a thermal on it

get it you'll like it

expect a price of $1350-$1500
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
The stocks on all tikkas are junk.

My junk shoots.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

My junk shoots.

Yep. My point is that none of the stocks on any of the models should be a factor in which model to buy. Barrel contour, weight, and bottom metal/mag capacity is what OP should base his decision on.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

My junk shoots.

Yep. My point is that none of the stocks on any of the models should be a factor in which model to buy. Barrel contour, weight, and bottom metal/mag capacity is what OP should base his decision on.
Why not the stock? Replacements are $500+. If you're never going to spend that much, you might as well get the stock you want from the start. TAC has adjustable cheek piece, CTR does not.
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 09:58 PM

Go with the CTR; you're getting far more value for your dollar. And take the reports of Tikka plastic stocks being junk with a grain of salt. I have a precision rifle in a Manners T4A; I know what great stocks feel like. The Tikka plastic stock is nowhere close to a manners by any stretch of the imagination, but for the price, they're the best factory plastic stock in the industry. Furthermore, the new X model CTR stock is surprisingly comfortable. I have a Triad stock pack on mine, and it's very shootable.

And they just flat-out SHOOT.

I would really steer you against choosing the TAC model just because of the cheekpiece. The $200 $700 difference can buy a lot.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Tikka decision - 01/04/17 10:02 PM

CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/05/17 02:03 AM

Thanks guys. Been looking at prices on gun broker and my local gun shop. From the local gun shop I was quoted 885+ tax for the CTR and 1415+ tax for TAC. Think I'm going with the CTR, can't wrap my mind around the extra money for an adjustable stock. For the price difference I could buy another stock. But as I said before I don't have a problem with the factory stock on my 695 or the t3s I have had over the years. And being a tikka either should shoot great. I was also looking at the super varmint but can't seem to find one. Probably get the shop to order the CTR this week.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/05/17 02:45 AM

Oh man I had no idea the TAC was that high. Yeah there's no reason to pay $500+ for the same stock with adjustability. I assumed it was less than the CTR.

Congrats on getting the CTR. That's a good price and a great rifle.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/05/17 03:40 AM

If you have to have it, here's a cool adjustable cheek kit that is made to retrofit the T3 stock: http://www.kalixteknik.com/

Somebody is bringing them in the US now; just can't remember who.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/05/17 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: snarkscarbine
If you have to have it, here's a cool adjustable cheek kit that is made to retrofit the T3 stock: http://www.kalixteknik.com/

Somebody is bringing them in the US now; just can't remember who.

That looks pretty good. I will have to check in to that further after I get the rifle. Thanks for the link.

Re: Tikka decision - 01/05/17 03:53 PM

cheers
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Tikka decision - 01/05/17 07:05 PM

I'd like to know who is bringing those adjustable cheek risers to us. Couldn't find anything google searching
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum