Texas Hunting Forum

any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun

Posted By: HankZudd

any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/03/16 12:30 AM

found a savage in 243 for a good price but it's LH; i'd shoot it,but
is there any downside?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/03/16 12:39 AM

Would not be for me, but to some it would not be the thing to do. Buy it.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/03/16 12:48 AM

Only YOU can answer that. Follow up shots may be a little awkward until you get used to it.

My son is a lefty and he shot RH rifles for years.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/03/16 04:04 AM

I'm left eye dominant,and have always shot left handed. I don't care which side of the rifle the bolt is on,I have LH & RH rifles and can operate either just as fast.
Posted By: RickC

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/03/16 08:27 AM

shouldn't matter. I'm a lefty that has both types of actions. Having said that, If you're right handed, I might keep looking.
Posted By: Judd

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/03/16 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RickC
shouldn't matter. I'm a lefty that has both types of actions. Having said that, If you're right handed, I might keep looking.

If you have a bench or something to rest it on it could be an advantage because if you shoot it right handed the port and bolt is right in your face so you can see what is going on while feeding rounds. Some benchrest guys actually prefer the left hand configuration. On a hunting gun the only disadvantages is the forehand has to cycle the bolt and the empty cases are extracted in front of your face.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/04/16 02:23 AM

I am a lefty, and shot right hand bolt guns for 20+ years before I swapped to a LH. No issues other than a little awkward to operate the bolt.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/04/16 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Adchunts
I am a lefty, and shot right hand bolt guns for 20+ years before I swapped to a LH. No issues other than a little awkward to operate the bolt.

I did the same...
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/04/16 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By: HankZudd
is there any downside?

Buy a right handed rifle and learn how to shoot correctly.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/05/16 02:07 PM

is there any downside?

If you buy it and don't like then let me know if you choose to sell it!
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/05/16 02:23 PM

I am left handed and use and have used a RH bolt action for a while. I only use a .22 mag in RH but if you use them enough you'll get a lot better at the bolt. I'm just as good opening and closing abbot with my right hand than I am my left. You just have to get used to it.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/05/16 02:54 PM

Depends whether or not the stock has a cheek weld for a lefty. If so, no I would not use it.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/05/16 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
is there any downside?

Buy a right handed rifle and learn how to shoot correctly.

Not quite sure what you mean here. The mechanics of shooting are the same whether right or left handed. Many of us lefties grew up shooting whatever rifle was available (usually a right hand version). I do not see where that affected our ability to shoot "correctly".
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/06/16 03:00 PM

Me either. I'm a righty, shoot lefty, never owned a left handed rifle.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/06/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
I'm left eye dominant,and have always shot left handed. I don't care which side of the rifle the bolt is on,I have LH & RH rifles and can operate either just as fast.

I practice both left and right handed shooting, also. Which side you want the bolt on is a personal choice. But in my deer stand, if I have a shot out the right hand window, I will engage shooting as a lefty for the speed. If I were to shoot right handed, I would have to rotate my body all the way around and set up. Going lefty is easy and much faster.
Posted By: swmays

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/06/16 04:23 PM

My father, My son and I all shoot LH using RH rifles. I'm the only lefty.

The only issue I have ever heard brought up was on THF. It was regarding keeping your eye on the scope to observe impact and possible changing wind conditions between rounds WHILE working the bolt. Lefty with a righty rifle will smack themselves in the nose if they don't get off the scope... 2cents
Posted By: Navasot

Re: any issues right handed/dominant eye shooter using left hand bolt gun - 12/06/16 04:27 PM

Nope.. only need one buwwet.. if you need more get an AR cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum