Texas Hunting Forum

Bipod recommendations

Posted By: chital_shikari

Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 06:23 AM

I've read good things about Harris and Caldwell seems very popular as well. Budget is like $100 bucks but want it within $50 if possible.

THanks
Posted By: Greg

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 06:31 AM

The Harris swivel is where it's at up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 11:15 AM

Harris BRM-S 6-9", add a PodLoc to the swivel.

One time purchase that lasts years.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 12:56 PM

I have a Caldwell and like it. I've never used a Harris.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 02:07 PM

I have a standard Harris and works well. Only regret is i wish I got the swivel model. Now I got to buy one of those.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
I have a standard Harris and works well. Only regret is i wish I got the swivel model. Now I got to buy one of those.

Keep the non-swivel model for working on rifles. It works great when cleaning, and when scope mounting.

But you do need a swivel model to shoot, to have the ability to correct cant.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 05:19 PM

I've always been very happy with Caldwell bipods. For a hunting rifle that doesn't see a massive amount of use, they are perfect. If you were putting a ton of rounds down range, and putting a lot of stress on a bipod you would probably want the upgrade to a Harris.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 05:20 PM

Harris and Atlas on my rifles.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 07:05 PM

6-9" is fine for hunting as well as target shooting?

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I've always been very happy with Caldwell bipods. For a hunting rifle that doesn't see a massive amount of use, they are perfect. If you were putting a ton of rounds down range, and putting a lot of stress on a bipod you would probably want the upgrade to a Harris.
I think I'll follow your suit because I rarely use my rifle.

I'll put a Harris on whatever next gun I'll get smile
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 07:17 PM

The Harris bipods are easiest to use and at a decent cost. I use the 6"-9" swivel on my Surgeon rifle. I also have an Atlas on my Sako TRG 42 because of the improved bipod placement with the front spigot. I like it, and it is more adjustable than the Harris, but it's 4x the cost. The Atlas on the TRG 42 moves the center balance point much farther forward when shooting, and gives a more steady hold than the Harris does under the forearm (see pic below) on this rifle.

TRG 42 Atlas bipod set up:

Re: Bipod recommendations - 11/28/16 07:22 PM

Another issue to think about. Many factory hunting rifles are not bedded and some stocks flex on the forend of the stock. These rifles will not work well shooting off a bipod. If the stock flexes at all at the forend, you can count on a shifting POI due to the bipod putting pressure on the barrel and/or action. If the rifle has any bedding issues, then the bipod will exacerbate this issue with the pressure it adds.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 04:37 AM

Got the Harris BRMS today. I like it and it is so much more solid that the old cheapy from gander. Night and day difference.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Got the Harris BRMS today. I like it and it is so much more solid that the old cheapy from gander. Night and day difference.

I told you to get an Atlas whip

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 05:10 AM

Watch me snatch that number one spot with this harris amigo. I got this rifle

Queen bee was a hard sell on the atlas so I settled. Don't tell Chad about this. Bad timing lol

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 06:23 AM

Queen bee was a hard sell on the atlas so I settled. Don't tell Chad about this. Bad timing lol

Well, let me ask the wife... roflmao

Might not get to shoot this next match. If my department can't keep people employed I'm going to go from 6 day works weeks to 7 real quick. We've already been put on notice about a week in January that has no exceptional leave. I'm just waiting for A/B shifts to start because of low staffing bang
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 04:47 PM

I run a Harris on 2 of my guns. Since I got the Larue version and both guns have a rail on the forend, I can just run the one Harris and swap between guns easily. I also run a Caldwell on my budget bolt guns. There is a noticeable difference in quality between Harris and Caldwell. I probably won't buy another Caldwell but will definitely but Harris in the future.

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 05:02 PM

LOL!
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/06/16 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Try a Long Range Accuracy bipod and the Atlas will go in to the for sale pile.

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/07/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Try a Long Range Accuracy bipod and the Atlas will go in to the for sale pile.

I don't see what makes them better. Just because the cost $100 more?

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/07/16 03:50 AM

The current price for both appears to be $450, looking at Triad Tactical and Euro Optics. The LRA is steadier, sturdier, and more stable than the Atlas I tried several years ago. Also, LRA has no track record of collapsing legs either, although hopefully Atlas has fixed that flaw by now.

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/07/16 04:32 AM

Never even heard of it until you mentioned it. I e never had my Atlas collapse but then again I never shoot with the legs in the 45 degree forward position. Mine did have a little slip, but once pressure was applied it was very sturdy, but so did the Harris I have. I can't justify $450 for a bipod. It's not making me any money and I can't use it for work so a Harris will have to do. Sold the Atlas to a buddy and regret that decision bang

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/07/16 04:40 AM

Might not get to shoot this next match. If my department can't keep people employed I'm going to go from 6 day works weeks to 7 real quick. We've already been put on notice about a week in January that has no exceptional leave. I'm just waiting for A/B shifts to start because of low staffing bang

Dude that is just unacceptable. You got to be there so go let the higher up's know whats up and get back with me.

Honestly that sucks man and I hate to hear that Wade. PM Ramball your address so we can send you a prize pack if you can't make it.

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/07/16 05:06 AM

BP,

The collapsing leg issues were several years ago, and hopefully they are now just a fading memory.

Harris is still a nice piece of kit, which I still use occasionally. The Harris is lighter, more compact, and quicker to mount. Aftermarket "feet" improve stability with the Harris, although still less so than Atlas or LRA. Try the aftermarket feet, if you have not yet done so.

Good luck with your staffing.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: Bipod recommendations - 12/07/16 07:03 PM

Atlas or Parker & Hale
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum