Texas Hunting Forum

Bad day at the shooting bench

Posted By: 603Country

Bad day at the shooting bench - 11/25/16 03:43 PM

The brothers came for Thanksgiving and brought their rifles and pistols. We shot the 9mm's and 1911's and my Python and then decided to check the sights on their rifles. The old Marlin 336 in 35 Remington was dead on. The thousand year old Weaver steel K4 still working. Then the BAR in 270, with old Leupold FX6 was next. Shot it a couple of times and it was very obvious the scope wasn't right - badly wandering POI. Took the scope off, and there were a lot of loose parts inside, so it'll have to back to Leupold. I decided to give my brother my 6-18 VX2, so I put that on the BAR. Then a couple more rounds were fired and the rifle just flat quit working. Would not shoot. Trigger and safety seemed jammed. Dannng! Is there a gunsmith in the house? Unfortunately, not at my house. I wonder what the problem was.

On the positive side, I really liked my brother's Kimber 1911 style 45. Easy to shoot well.

So, even though the BAR is busted, we had a good morning of shooting.
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: Bad day at the shooting bench - 11/25/16 04:33 PM

I would start with a good break down and cleaning [ NOT WITH WD-40],Sound's like a gummy build up to me,break down and extreme boiling water will do wonder's when cleaning,Then use a real light coat of MOBILE-1 motor oil to reassemble That's where i would start as least popcorn,

OH yea DON'T boil the part's,use the boiling water to POUR over the part's up
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Bad day at the shooting bench - 11/25/16 05:41 PM

I have a fnar and it's identical to a BAR, I'm pretty good on tearing guns apart and putting em back together. I won't mess with that action one bit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum