Texas Hunting Forum

This was kinda weird...

Posted By: TFF Caribou

This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:39 AM

Went to the local indoor range to sight it my rifle today. It's an 85 yard range. Used a lead sled to sight it in. Put 2 rounds touching exactly in the middle of the bullseye. Shot 4 rounds to get it sighted in, and I'm very confident that it was properly zeroed. Then I pulled out the .22 to shoot a couple rounds. Pulled the .308 back out to shoot from just a front rest and shot around 20 rounds. They were all 3 inches low and an inch or so left roughly. About a 2-3" total group. I kept thinking it was me pulling shots until I had shot enough rounds that I knew it wasn't just me being a mediocre shot. I adjusted the scope 3" up and 1" right, and put 2 in the bull. Why would it be so far off going from a sled to a front rest?
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:45 AM

Not free floating? Pressure on the front of the stock different in each application
Posted By: P_102

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:45 AM

The lead sled doesn't allow the gun to recoil as it would off your shoulder alone. P_102
Posted By: J.G.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:47 AM

Because lead sleds are evil, and make rifles shoot in crazy places different from where they will when the rifle is on the shoulder of a shooter.

This very thing happened last week when a buddy was zeroing his wife's rifle from a sled. I said watch this, took the rifle out of the sled, and shot it twice at 100 yard paper. Same thing, the zero when shooting it out of then sled was way different. This is why I say to turn lead sleds into scrap metal unless you're going to hunt with the rifle in the sled.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:48 AM

Different hold and different pressure applied to various areas on the stock. Not an uncommon occurrence with some firearms.

We do load workup with a bench rest. I want all of the variables removed as possible. But after that, we zero the rifles with a set of shooting sticks that we are going to use in the field. On some rifles it makes a difference, and others not so much.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:51 AM

Ok. Thank you very much guys. I really thought I was going crazy. I feel a lot better about it now.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 02:04 AM

Fireman is right. Lead sleds suck.
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 04:36 AM

Caribou, were you at defender shooting center?
Posted By: 7x57

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 06:09 AM

Surprised so many people don't like the lead sled, I enjoy mine. It's a little awkward to shoot from, but I haven't had any zero issues. I shoot from trigger sticks usually though, so maybe that's why?

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: cxjcherokec

Yep. What an awesome facility. My boss shoots there a lot. It's the only range with a decent length rifle range open late. But it was pricy. $25 range fee for the rifle range is double what other places charge, but it's a really nice facility. They have the machines that will run your targets out to whatever range you want them, and a camera on the 85 yard targets so you can see your bullet holes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:17 PM

Was shooting a buddies rifle once he put a few rounds down range and offered it to me to shoot a few rounds so I did. I shot three rounds in a pretty decent group that were a few inches low and left of his. I think its differences in eyes and how you hold the gun.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:29 PM

I guide alot and most of the hunters I guide only take the rifle out of the safe once a year when they show up to hunt. For a quick check of zero and to help take the error away form the shooter the rest works. In 10 years never seen anyone have enough POI change to make me question the sled. But I don't disagree that the rifle shoots different from a sled vs the shoulder pocket.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Yep. What an awesome facility. My boss shoots there a lot. It's the only range with a decent length rifle range open late. But it was pricy. $25 range fee for the rifle range is double what other places charge, but it's a really nice facility. They have the machines that will run your targets out to whatever range you want them, and a camera on the 85 yard targets so you can see your bullet holes.

It has all of that, and $25 is expensive?

Wow!

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

It has all of that, and $25 is expensive?

Wow!

I guess not really. I just didn't check their prices before I went. All I knew was it was an 85 yard rifle range. The extra amenities were unexpected.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 04:25 PM

85yd rifle range is weird to me.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 04:31 PM

Quai Creek $20 something, rifle or pistol.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
Fireman is right. Lead sleds suck.

As Bill would say, I concur.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Quai Creek $20 something, rifle or pistol.

Quality creek is $12. But they close early.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
85yd rifle range is weird to me.

It's indoor, so I'm assuming it has to do with the available space in the building. And it's in the middle of down town, so they probably didn't have the extra 15 yards of real estate.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:18 PM

whats a lead sled?

I always liked a two sandbag setup or bipod

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:20 PM

Oh. I've never been to an indoor range & have no intentions of trying one out. I got spoiled to having 21K+ acres to shoot wherever I wanted. Too bad that's gone! bang
No outdoor ranges near?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:21 PM

Oh. I've never been to an indoor range & have no intentions of trying one out. I got spoiled to having 21K+ acres to shoot wherever I wanted. Too bad that's gone! bang
No outdoor ranges near?

whats it matter indoor or outdoor?

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:26 PM

No outdoor ranges near?

Outdoor ranges close at 6. I needed to shoot later than that.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:36 PM

For me its about getting a true 0 on wind

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 09:52 PM

For me its about getting a true 0 on wind

That's another great benefit. It's air conditioned, and they play great music inside.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/23/16 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
No outdoor ranges near?

I've never been to one, like I said. BUT I enjoy shooting guns but can't imagine I'd enjoy it inside. Isn't it stupid loud, smell awful, loud w/people, bunched up w/people, INSIDE, short distances?
I see someone mention 'true zero' due to no wind. Is what you're hunting going to be inside w/zero wind? Practice like you play is something I've always been a fan of. YMMV!!! cheers

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/24/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
No outdoor ranges near?

I've never been to one, like I said. BUT I enjoy shooting guns but can't imagine I'd enjoy it inside. Isn't it stupid loud, smell awful, loud w/people, bunched up w/people, INSIDE, short distances?
I see someone mention 'true zero' due to no wind. Is what you're hunting going to be inside w/zero wind? Practice like you play is something I've always been a fan of. YMMV!!! cheers

Not loud, no smell, there was only one other guy on the rifle range with me. It's actually a rather pleasant experience.

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/24/16 04:37 AM

LFD, if you dont have a true zero without wind, do you remeber what your correction was when you sighted it in with wind? If you went and sighted in with a 15mph crosswind you could be 11" off with a 0mph crosswind @300 yds, thats why
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: This was kinda weird... - 11/24/16 01:23 PM

Not saying fireman and hunt west are liars cause I know they shoot a ton, but I've never heard of this. We have sighted in many firearms from a sled and then the shoulder and never had any issues at all in regards to zero

There has to be a scientific reason for the difference in zero,from my understanding the bullet has already left the barrel long before it starts to recoil which would make the use of a sled negligible.

Could it be pressure on the stock or something of the sort? I'm concerned now because I sighted in my weatherby on a sled a few weeks back and I'm leaving for west Texas in two days
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum