Texas Hunting Forum

New 300BLK first range results

Posted By: Creedmoor

New 300BLK first range results - 11/19/16 09:16 PM

My son is a lefty, and it's extremely hard to find left-handed complete upper assemblies in 300BLK. He's wanted one for a while, and I recently bought one from RedXArms for $450-ish. Not knowing a lot about the company, I was honestly a bit apprehensive about the quality and what we'd end up with. We took it to the range with several loads to try, set a target at the 100 yard berm and easily got the gun on paper. And we were completely ecstatic with the results. We loaded H110 under Sierra 125 Pro Hunters to start with. Loads were from 17.2 to 18.0 in 0.2 increments. We settled on 17.6 @ 2.060" after he almost stacked 5 shots into a cloverleaf with all but one of them touching. I didn't break out the chrono but I'm honestly not concerned about the velocity when the accuracy was that good.

This is the only experience that I have with Red-X but I am completely satisfied with their product this time around. Don't know if I'll buy anything else from them because we have about all of the gas guns that we need at the moment. But they do build a beautiful product.

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/19/16 09:49 PM

Good shooting...
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 12:31 AM

That upper was only $450?

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 12:43 AM

YEP. It is $390 without the BCG.

Pic shows rail covers that my son added.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 01:53 PM

Curious...What is his intended use for the gun? Looking at the setup, it seems odd that he chose 300 BLK as the caliber for a 16" gun with a big scope and a rifle stock.

What really matters, though, is that he's happy with it. Looks like it's gonna be a shooter!

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Curious...What is his intended use for the gun? Looking at the setup, it seems odd that he chose 300 BLK as the caliber for a 16" gun with a big scope and a rifle stock.

Use? Hunting out to 150 yards or so. He has long range bolt rifles as well as 16" gas guns in both bull barrel and light weight tactical versions. Just looking for something a bit different.

We both hate collapsible stocks. The A2 is our stock of choice. What's "odd" about that for a hunting rifle?

Big scope? Not hardly. It's a 3.5-14 power. Not big at all for a hunting rifle.

And that's the glory of the Modern Sporting Rifle. You can assemble them to suit your individual tastes.

If anyone thinks that all 300BLK rifles should be "tacticool" or used solely for defense they're missing out on a great hog and deer hunting cartridge.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 04:36 PM

Nothing odd about the stock or scope choice for a hunting rifle, it's the choice of caliber in combination with those things that I find odd. Just seems like 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would have been much better choices for that purpose. There is no argument that either of those calibers are superior to 300 BLK for hunting out of the setup you guys selected (16" barrel out to 150 yards as stated). I just don't see any advantage of going with the 300 BLK in this scenario.

Like I said earlier, though, what matters is that he got the gun he wanted.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 04:39 PM

Well, according to one member here, the 300 blackout was designed for being used as a sniper round.
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 04:49 PM

TTU its probably more of an issue to find a suitable caliber in a factory made upper thats in a LH configuration. If the OP could build one im sure he would have, if he wanted a different caliber in sure he could have a custom one made or paid 2xs as much. But he didnt and is satified with his purchase.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 05:23 PM

Nothing odd about the stock or scope choice for a hunting rifle, it's the choice of caliber in combination with those things that I find odd. Just seems like 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC would have been much better choices for that purpose.

That's YOUR opinion. Which I didn't ask for, by the way.

I must have missed the published information about the mandatory configuration for the 300BLK rifles and which cartridges that must be used when building a 16" gas gun. rolleyes

I've read all of your posts about the 300BLK, and I'm not going to get in a debate with you about it. You can look elsewhere for that. stir

The gun suits him just fine and I have no doubt that it will kill every hog he shoots and that he will smile the entire time.

If you'd like to finance the next one so that it is built to your standards I'll make certain that my son gets in touch with you beforehand.

Originally Posted By: cxjcherokec
TTU its probably more of an issue to find a suitable caliber in a factory made upper thats in a LH configuration. If the OP could build one im sure he would have, if he wanted a different caliber in sure he could have a custom one made or paid 2xs as much. But he didnt and is satified with his purchase.

YEP. We could have bought most anything he wanted. They had several caliber choices available in LH upper assemblies, but he wanted the 300. So that's what we bought. up

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 06:51 PM

Hey man, I said twice that I'm glad he got the gun he wanted. I don't see why you're being combative.

There's nothing wrong with the gun. Anybody can own and shoot whatever they want. I just don't understand why 300 BLK was selected as the caliber of choice in this scenario. The way the gun is configured doesn't take advantage of any of the benefits of 300 BLK, so it seems illogical. Would have made much more sense to go with a 6.8 or 6.5.

- You reload, so Ammo availability isn't an issue.
- 16" barrel so the efficiency of 300 BLK in short barrels doesn't come into play.
- Not suppressed, so no advantage there.
- Bought the upper fully assembled, so the choice had nothing to do with 6.8 and 6.5 using caliber specific bolts
- recoil is negligible for all 3 cartridges

So, I can't find a single advantage of the 300 BLK in this case. The 6.5 and 6.8, on the other hand, have the major advantage of significantly better ballistics.

Since the gun is built for hunting, why wouldn't you go with a more effective hunting round?

If the answer is that he just wanted to go with the current tacticool round that's fine!

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 07:37 PM

I've told you 3 times. No arguments from me. We're ecstatic with it. It's the finest cartridge that has ever been invented. Possibly going to overtake the 270 Winchester in popularity.

Once again ...... If you'd like to finance the next one so that it is built to your standards I'll make certain that my son gets in touch with you beforehand.

stir in another thread.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 07:45 PM

Because there is nothing to argue. grin You know there is no reason to have gone with 300BLK other than that it's "tacticool", so how could you argue?

Glad you're both ecstatic. That's what really counts.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 07:51 PM

I just had my first opportunity to use the "Ignore this user" tool. Wow. Works great. clap up woot banana
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 07:59 PM

That's some great shooting from your boy! Personally, I love the 300BLK in an AR platform for hunting. It's on my list of rifles to own for sure.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
I just had my first opportunity to use the "Ignore this user" tool. Wow. Works great. clap up woot banana

I just did the same.

Glad you and your son are happy with your new rifle!

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 08:16 PM

Thanks guys. up

Can't wait to see exactly what it's capable of with 110 Vmax and the Barnes 110s. Sure is a fun gun to shoot.
Posted By: Bayharbor

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 10:46 PM

Me too

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 11:16 PM

How in the heck do i use this feature!
Posted By: Struggle

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/20/16 11:17 PM

Click on the name, user profile, ignore

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 12:28 AM

Like a liberal college student crying in their "safe space," run and hide where facts and opposing views can't conflict with what you want to believe! Hillary would be proud!

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 03:32 AM

Ignorance is bliss. Just because Creedmoor didnt ask nor need your opinion doesnt mean hes hiding. Its like CNN with their pushy liberal hippy crap, he blocked a channel no one cares to watch. Im so glad you called someones kid out, you must be proud. Im proud this dad let his son make a choice, which for all you know may not have been what dad would have liked. Just wait till youre married and have kids, youll realize that what you want doesnt really matter anymore.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 03:39 AM

Nice groups, especially for a first run.

I also shoot rifles lefty, but haven't gone with a dedicated lefty upper yet. I may give one a try, but traditional hasn't been a problem for me yet. I just have to swap a bunch of parts to ambi-control to really be comfortable with 'em.

I'm not sure what the love/hate with the 300BO is all about. I had one and sold it. That decision had nothing to do with terminal ballistics inside of 150yd, I was just tired of stocking and reloading so many different cartridges.

Either way, nice setup and good luck to your son knocking 'em out.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan

I also shoot rifles lefty, but haven't gone with a dedicated lefty upper yet. I may give one a try, but traditional hasn't been a problem for me yet. I just have to swap a bunch of parts to ambi-control to really be comfortable with 'em.

I'm thinking my next AR will be a right hand side charging upper. Think about the ergonomics. Hold the grip in your left hand, shoulder the rifle, grab the bolt knob with your right, and cycle it. In business with no fuss.

It has been to my benefit, that I could see an open bolt shooting a RH AR-15, left handed. Drop the mag, insert a new one, close the bolt, shoot some more.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 04:47 AM

Nice grouping. I'm sure he'll love that gun. 300 Blackout is an AWESOME pig and deer caliber.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: okstatefan

I'm thinking my next AR will be a right hand side charging upper. Think about the ergonomics. Hold the grip in your left hand, shoulder the rifle, grab the bolt knob with your right, and cycle it. In business with no fuss.

It has been to my benefit, that I could see an open bolt shooting a RH AR-15, left handed. Drop the mag, insert a new one, close the bolt, shoot some more.

I like the way you think. One of the things I really like about shooting a traditional AR is that I can view the chamber without manipulation. I've never been bothered by the charging handle, I just always use a two-finger straight pull. I do always switch out to ambi safeties. My M&P 10 has ambi mag release, but I actually prefer dropping mags with my off-hand thumb. Heck, the only REAL change I need to make to any rifle is an ambi safety selector.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 12:57 PM

Success!
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 09:04 PM

Hey man, I said twice that I'm glad he got the gun he wanted. I don't see why you're being combative.

There's nothing wrong with the gun. Anybody can own and shoot whatever they want. I just don't understand why 300 BLK was selected as the caliber of choice in this scenario. The way the gun is configured doesn't take advantage of any of the benefits of 300 BLK, so it seems illogical. Would have made much more sense to go with a 6.8 or 6.5.

- 16" barrel so the efficiency of 300 BLK in short barrels doesn't come into play.
- Bought the upper fully assembled, so the choice had nothing to do with 6.8 and 6.5 using caliber specific bolts

So, I can't find a single advantage of the 300 BLK in this case. The 6.5 and 6.8, on the other hand, have the major advantage of significantly better ballistics.

Since the gun is built for hunting, why wouldn't you go with a more effective hunting round?

If the answer is that he just wanted to go with the current tacticool round that's fine!

Several advantages to 300 BO over the 6.5 and 6.8 since you can't seem to find any.....

Uses the same BCG as .223/5.56.
Uses the same mags as .223/5.56.
Grendel is more effective with longer barrel lengths.
Ballistics of the 6.8 compared to the 300 BO at distances up to 150 yards is negligible on deer/hog sized game.
6.8 and 6.5 Uppers are significantly more expensive.

Sweet looking rifle, OP, I hate collapsible stocks too...yours looks great.

Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/21/16 10:09 PM

Nice shooting!

I love the 300BO. If you shoot 223 or 556, you can selectively sort the brass you want to covert to 300BO. Let the 300 brass fly and don't worry about saving it in those hunting situations. I wouldn't want to buy virgin grendel brass at $1 plus or spc brass at 93c a round. Even if you made grendel brass from 7.62x39, you still have to buy that brass unless you buy expensive brass ammo up front.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 12:31 AM

Thanks guys. We really appreciate it. up

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton

Several advantages to 300 BO over the 6.5 and 6.8 since you can't seem to find any.....

Ballistics of the 6.8 compared to the 300 BO at distances up to 150 yards is negligible on deer/hog sized game.

- Like I said in my previous post, I don't think the bolt is an issue in this case since he bought the complete upper (the upper would have just come with a different barrel and bolt.)
- it's a hunting rifle, so I assume one wouldn't mind spending $20 for a couple magazines.
- Grendel does benefit more than BLK from added barrel length past 16", but has superior ballistics when comparing both out of a 16" barrel, so how is that a benefit of BLK exactly?
- You call the difference in ballistics between the BLK and 6.8 "negligible" within 150 yards, I call the difference "significant." Since this is 100% subjective, can't really call this an advantage or disadvantage for either round.

You can definitely find cheaper 300 BLK uppers than 6.8 or 6.5. Solid point there. If price was a driving factor, I could certainly see that factoring in to the decision.

Props for being the first person to actually provide an alternative perspective/argument. Everyone else seems like they prefer to ignore views that differ from their own instead of having a discussion and maybe learning something new.

A forum is literally defined as a place to exchange ideas and points of view. IMO if you are going to post in a firearms forum and can't handle someone critiquing your choice of caliber, you shouldn't be posting. People who are just getting in to guns read this stuff, so I think it's important to provide as much honest, factual info as possible, and to critique ideas that you disagree with. Helps those who read these forums for insight make more informed decisions.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 02:41 AM

Barking up the tree the coon has already been shot out of.

The rifle is ALREADY BUILT!!! Accept that, and move on.
Posted By: okie44

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:14 AM

- Like I said in my previous post, I don't think the bolt is an issue in this case since he bought the complete upper (the upper would have just come with a different barrel and bolt.)
- it's a hunting rifle, so I assume one wouldn't mind spending $20 for a couple magazines.
- Grendel does benefit more than BLK from added barrel length past 16", but has superior ballistics when comparing both out of a 16" barrel, so how is that a benefit of BLK exactly?
- You call the difference in ballistics between the BLK and 6.8 "negligible" within 150 yards, I call the difference "significant." Since this is 100% subjective, can't really call this an advantage or disadvantage for either round.

You can definitely find cheaper 300 BLK uppers than 6.8 or 6.5. Solid point there. If price was a driving factor, I could certainly see that factoring in to the decision.

Props for being the first person to actually provide an alternative perspective/argument. Everyone else seems like they prefer to ignore views that differ from their own instead of having a discussion and maybe learning something new.

A forum is literally defined as a place to exchange ideas and points of view. IMO if you are going to post in a firearms forum and can't handle someone critiquing your choice of caliber, you shouldn't be posting. People who are just getting in to guns read this stuff, so I think it's important to provide as much honest, factual info as possible, and to critique ideas that you disagree with. Helps those who read these forums for insight make more informed decisions.

I think you are missing the point of the post. I went back and read the OP and saw nothing about asking for our opinions on caliber or scope choices. I did see an informative review of a cheap rifle that shoots well. It also has made some quality father-son time while setting it up and assembling ammo along with the range time testing and dialing it in and will continue to add good times for years to come. I'm not sure why anyone would want to argue that this is a bad thing.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:16 AM

Barking up the tree the coon has already been shot out of.

The rifle is ALREADY BUILT!!! Accept that, and move on.

Don't believe I ever said I thought he should get rid of the rifle or change up the build. I just stated that I thought it was a curious choice, and asked why he chose 300 BLK. I don't see the big deal in asking some questions and pointing out a difference in opinion.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: okie44

I think you are missing the point of the post. I went back and read the OP and saw nothing about asking for our opinions on caliber or scope choices. I did see an informative review of a cheap rifle that shoots well. It also has made some quality father-son time while setting it up and assembling ammo along with the range time testing and dialing it in and will continue to add good times for years to come. I'm not sure why anyone would want to argue that this is a bad thing.

Did you read my initial post? I have included it below:

"Curious...What is his intended use for the gun? Looking at the setup, it seems odd that he chose 300 BLK as the caliber for a 16" gun with a big scope and a rifle stock.

What really matters, though, is that he's happy with it. Looks like it's gonna be a shooter!"

I directly stated that his son being happy with it is what matters. I just asked why 300 BLK was chosen as the caliber, as the gun was not configured in a way typically associated with BLK builds. Is there something wrong with politely asking a question? This is a forum, right? I don't think my initial post reads as something that was meant to be aggressive or rude, so I don't see the issue.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:23 AM

And he told you he didnt pick the caliber. His son did. Didn't your parents teach you that if you don't have something nice to say, you don't say anything at all? Your opinion was unnecessarily shared, and nobody cares to argue with you. Move along.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:28 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
And he told you he didnt pick the caliber. His son did. Didn't your parents teach you that if you don't have something nice to say, you don't say anything at all? Your opinion was unnecessarily shared, and nobody cares to argue with you. Move along.

What part of my initial post wasn't nice? Asking a question? If you are offended by someone asking a question, I apologize. I don't see an issue. Are we only allowed to say "cool gun!" on here? Sure wouldn't be much of a forum of that were the case.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:35 AM

What part of my initial post wasn't nice? Asking a question? If you are offended by someone asking a question, I apologize. I don't see an issue. Are we only allowed to say "cool gun!" on here? Sure wouldn't be much of a forum of that were the case.

There are plenty of posts asking for caliber input, this was not one of them. You also do not have to reply to every thread on the forum. You immediately questioned the build which was unnecessary. It's not that your first post was so rude, but you continued to criticize the OP and his sons choices, and you continued to argue your point. You should have let it go, but you seem like one of those guys who likes to be right all the time.
Posted By: okie44

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:40 AM

Yep, I read your initial post. I may have interpreted it wrong but it seems that you thought it was silly to build that combo. I reckon you have the right to voice your opinions whenever you think they are needed, this being a forum after all.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:41 AM

There are plenty of posts asking for caliber input, this was not one of them. You also do not have to reply to every thread on the forum. You immediately questioned the build which was unnecessary. It's not that your first post was so rude, but you continued to criticize the OP and his sons choices, and you continued to argue your point. You should have let it go, but you seem like one of those guys who likes to be right all the time.

I think criticize is a harsh word, I would call it questioning the OP/his sons choices. To be fair, he never answered why they went with 300 BLK, other than to say they were "looking for something different," which isn't really a reason at all. The lack of willingness to answer made me even more curious because it leads me to believe he may not really know why he chose the BLK. That certainly opens the door to an opportunity for discussion! If he would have answered the caliber question right of the bat, I would have had a reason to ask anymore.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: okie44
Yep, I read your initial post. I may have interpreted it wrong but it seems that you thought it was silly to build that combo. I reckon you have the right to voice your opinions whenever you think they are needed, this being a forum after all.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Oh, I totally do think it's silly to build that combo. I don't get it -- at all. However, I am a firm believer in a man's right to build/shoot whatever gun he wants. I just wanted to know the thought behind the decision. Maybe he knew something I didn't that would help me understand his choice better. Maybe he didn't know something that I do, which might lead him to make a different choice in the future. If we don't ask questions, we never learn anything. If wanting to share what I know and hear what others know makes me a fool, than I'm happy to be one.

One things for sure -- putting on blinders and covering your ears does not lead to growth or progress.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 04:00 AM

I think criticize is a harsh word, I would call it questioning the OP/his sons choices. To be fair, he never answered why they went with 300 BLK, other than to say they were "looking for something different," which isn't really a reason at all. The lack of willingness to answer made me even more curious because it leads me to believe he may not really know why he chose the BLK. That certainly opens the door to an opportunity for discussion! If he would have answered the caliber question right of the bat, I would have had a reason to ask anymore.

Again, the OP didn't choose the caliber so he didn't need to answer why they went with the 300blk. He specifically stated that his son made the decision, and he specifically stated that he wanted to buy his son what he wanted. With that knowledge, you should stop questioning the caliber choice and, for that matter, every choice they made regarding the build. The OP wanted to make his son happy, and he did exactly that. MOVE ALONG. There is NO NEED for the discussion. It is starting to become humorous that you do not understand this.
Posted By: swmays

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 04:11 AM

You know what a good post and a Nun have in common... one prick and it's all over.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 06:14 AM

Again, the OP didn't choose the caliber so he didn't need to answer why they went with the 300blk. He specifically stated that his son made the decision, and he specifically stated that he wanted to buy his son what he wanted. With that knowledge, you should stop questioning the caliber choice and, for that matter, every choice they made regarding the build. The OP wanted to make his son happy, and he did exactly that. MOVE ALONG. There is NO NEED for the discussion. It is starting to become humorous that you do not understand this.

You need to read my posts again, good sir! I was asking why his son chose 300 BLK all the while, I was never confused about who was choosing the caliber. So I am questioning the appropriate person!

Now that we got that out of the way.....the question remains unanswered, and the mystery unsolved! Why did the boy go with 300 BLK???

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 11:41 AM

WOW. Looks like you guys are going at it pretty good. Glad I can't see the ridiculousness ....... roflmao

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 02:51 PM

Creedmoor, lets just say that your sig line fits pretty well and its leaning towards the latter lol.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 02:55 PM

Lets make it simple and ill guess, he went with a 300blk bc it IS tacticool, THATS WHAT KIDS DO! Same we reason we had LA lights shoes when we were kids, our parents that they were dumb as hell but WE wanted them. If you had any idea how much crap ive bought bc my wife or kids wanted it than you would understand. Its apparent you arent married or have kids though or youd learn to shut up and move on.

PS if you arent married dont ever argue with a women bc it makes no sense to you, youre never going to win

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 09:29 PM

Lets make it simple and ill guess, he went with a 300blk bc it IS tacticool, THATS WHAT KIDS DO!

Well .... not really. He's a mature 22 year old and while he does enjoy computer games and XBox stuff, he is very serious about his hunting and his guns. He made the choice for his 7mm08 over the 308 and 30-06 after getting into the ballistic information, which I thought was a good decision. He dressed and caped his antelope without any help on my part. He's only 22, but when the guns go into the Jeep he's as much of an adult as anyone I know.

As for the choice on the 300, he thought it would be an interesting choice to compliment the 223s, and could be suppressed later on if desired.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 09:52 PM

Lets make it simple and ill guess, he went with a 300blk bc it IS tacticool, THATS WHAT KIDS DO!

Well .... not really. He's a mature 22 year old and while he does enjoy computer games and XBox stuff, he is very serious about his hunting and his guns. He made the choice for his 7mm08 over the 308 and 30-06 after getting into the ballistic information, which I thought was a good decision. He dressed and caped his antelope without any help on my part. He's only 22, but when the guns go into the Jeep he's as much of an adult as anyone I know.

As for the choice on the 300, he thought it would be an interesting choice to compliment the 223s, and could be suppressed later on if desired.

Exactly, I'm 32 and didn't pick the 300 because its tacticool I picked it because of the short barreled suppressed performance. Good shooting to your son and don't listen to the idiot trolls. up

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/22/16 10:13 PM

My son wants to shoot rabbits with his 6.5CM and not his 22wmr, sometimes we just say OK, thats what dads do.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/23/16 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Exactly, I'm 32 and didn't pick the 300 because its tacticool I picked it because of the short barreled suppressed performance. Good shooting to your son and don't listen to the idiot trolls. up

Calling me an idiot troll aside, great post. Efficiency in short barrels and suppressed performance are the two biggest benefits of the 300 BLK IMO. Sounds like you went with a great setup.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/23/16 09:14 PM

There we go, an answer supporting the choice of caliber. If your son wants to suppress eventually, 300 BLK is a good choice. I would have gone with a shorter barrel and different optics/stock, but that's just personal preference.

As I have said multiple times, the most important thing is that your son is happy with the rifle. Nothing better than father son time in the outdoors.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/23/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Calling me an idiot troll aside, great post. Efficiency in short barrels and suppressed performance are the two biggest benefits of the 300 BLK IMO. Sounds like you went with a great setup.

The idiot trolls was only pointed at you about 10% the other 90% was aimed directly at Charles. cheers

Also it was just your first few posts on this thread that came across as trollish maybe you didn't mean them that way but that's what I came across to myself and from the looks of it it came across the same to a few others. Again you might not have meant them that way but it really hard to get context/emotion from simply reading text.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 01:27 AM

Kyle, same guy called me a prick the other day for nothing major, sooo...

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 01:47 AM

Oh yea, that was pretty trollish. Had to go back and read that thread rofl he called me out to. Didn't connect the names at first.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 03:13 AM

Loyal - Did you not admit that you had quoted the numbers wrong in that other thread? Not sure what's wrong with calling someone out when the info is actually wrong.

As far as far as JG is concerned, he totally deserved it so I stand by what I said. Someone who shoots as much as he does knows those numbers weren't right, yet he said it gave me crap for calling the numbers BS and called it "physics." Either he is amazing uneducated on ballistics, which I doubt, or he was being rude just for the sake of being rude.

I think it's important to point out misinformation on a forum that many people look to for knowledge.
Posted By: P_102

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 04:37 AM

I have a suggestion to end this foolishness.....TTU vs. Fireman JG. 100 to 800 yards. Prone, freehand, kneeling, etc......vote?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 04:37 AM

I know a few tech grads and reading was not a Doctorate course from what I understand confused2
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 12:18 PM

TTU, no one cares that you would have chosen a different caliber..
As stated by DrHorton, there's reasons that benefit purchasing the 300blk.
I personally love the fact that with 300 blk I can use any of the fifty .556 mags I have around. I like that the bolt carrier can be purchased anywhere. I don't give a s#!+ about tacticool. If he rarely ever shoots further than 150-200 yards when pig hunting, then that would make the 300blk a perfect round. Even the 16 inch barrel and carbine setup would be fine.
Not sure why you want to have a pissing match with a dude over a decent choice his son made.
Grow up
Nice shooting creed. Hope you guys enjoy the setup..
Posted By: P_102

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 01:53 PM

"I think it's important to point out misinformation on a forum that many people look to for knowledge."

Exactly what 'misinformation' were you pointing out when you started badgering Creed on his sons choice of caliber/setup? P_102

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102

Exactly what 'misinformation' were you pointing out when you started badgering Creed on his sons choice of caliber/setup? P_102

That's what I was surprised about. They were pointed questions asked in a manner that insinuated the gun wasn't configured in a way that suited him. Or that I was stupid and uneducated about the caliber and it's capabilities.

What he didn't realize was that I didn't give a crap about his opinions. I've read his posts in other 300BLK discussions and he obviously gets his jollies by trying to "educate" others about the manner in which the cartridge should be used and the configurations of the guns that it is chambered for. That's why I removed him from anything I could see in the thread and will likely never read another thing that he posts.

I have little patience for self-proclaimed experts who try to belittle others with insinuating remarks and questions that lead to answers they want so they can escalate the issue. I'm probably the most anal person on here when it comes to researching a particular gun or cartridge before I take a plunge. I talk to others (those that I respect) and do my due diligence before I spend my cash. And I did so on this purchase. We knew what to expect from the gun and knew what we wanted it to do. We also knew that for OUR PERSONAL NEEDS what stock and optics that were needed.

AND WE NAILED IT. PERIOD. NO other opinions about what we did to/with the gun matter. And I see no need to answer such obviously condemning questions about our decisions because IT DOESN'T MATTER to anyone but US.

What is comical is that after my son read a couple of the posts in question, he commented: "That's interesting. We built a gun all wrong and it shot under MOA right out of the box. Who is that Bozo?" roflmao clap

There are ways to inquire about things. I inquire often. And I appreciate answers to my questions. And I also answer questions. But when someone asks me something and then tells me that I did something wrong when there is nothing but their OPINION involved, they're not going to appreciate the results they get.

THANKS AGAIN to everyone who commented in a civil manner. I do sincerely appreciate it. up

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 04:09 PM

Way to power through, and brush off a douchebag.

Evidently they don't teach STFU at TTU.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 05:42 PM

"I think it's important to point out misinformation on a forum that many people look to for knowledge."

If you actually read the whole post where I wrote that sentence instead of taking a single line from it out of context, you will see that I was referring to an entirely different thread. Kroyal had posted some incorrect velocity info in another thread, and Fireman brought it up here. Kept so actually admitted in that other thread that his info was wrong, and corrected it.

Amazing how people don't actually read posts before they comment.

Like the guy above, for example, who points out some advantages of the 300 BLK which I had already mentioned as advantages in an earlier post. If you actually read everything I wrote you will see that i have never said that the 300 BLK has no advantages, I only stated that I do not believe this particular rifle capitalizes on said advantages based on the way the upper is configured. In fact, I even listed several advantages of the BLK in an early post.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 05:43 PM

Way to power through, and brush off a douchebag.

Evidently they don't teach STFU at TTU.

Pot meet kettle on that one, bud. grin

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 05:51 PM

That's what I was surprised about. They were pointed questions asked in a manner that insinuated the gun wasn't configured in a way that suited him. Or that I was stupid and uneducated about the caliber and it's capabilities.

What he didn't realize was that I didn't give a crap about his opinions. I've read his posts in other 300BLK discussions and he obviously gets his jollies by trying to "educate" others about the manner in which the cartridge should be used and the configurations of the guns that it is chambered for. That's why I removed him from anything I could see in the thread and will likely never read another thing that he posts.

I have little patience for self-proclaimed experts who try to belittle others with insinuating remarks and questions that lead to answers they want so they can escalate the issue. I'm probably the most anal person on here when it comes to researching a particular gun or cartridge before I take a plunge. I talk to others (those that I respect) and do my due diligence before I spend my cash. And I did so on this purchase. We knew what to expect from the gun and knew what we wanted it to do. We also knew that for OUR PERSONAL NEEDS what stock and optics that were needed.

AND WE NAILED IT. PERIOD. NO other opinions about what we did to/with the gun matter. And I see no need to answer such obviously condemning questions about our decisions because IT DOESN'T MATTER to anyone but US.

What is comical is that after my son read a couple of the posts in question, he commented: "That's interesting. We built a gun all wrong and it shot under MOA right out of the box. Who is that Bozo?" roflmao clap

There are ways to inquire about things. I inquire often. And I appreciate answers to my questions. And I also answer questions. But when someone asks me something and then tells me that I did something wrong when there is nothing but their OPINION involved, they're not going to appreciate the results they get.

THANKS AGAIN to everyone who commented in a civil manner. I do sincerely appreciate it. up

Please reread my first couple of posts, and tell me what exactly I said that was uncivil? Apparently you read something into my post that isn't there, but there is nothing I can do about that. Disagreeing with someone is not automatically rude or uncivil. In my initial post, I even said, "What really matters, though, is that he's happy with it. Looks like it's gonna be a shooter!"

My 4th and 5th posts in this thread (which I did not write until your posts began to seem defensive and angry) were definitely a little snarky, but other than that nothing I have said has been remotely uncivil.

In regards to your son's response, nowhere did I say that BLK was inherently inaccurate, so I'm not sure how the gun shooting sub MOA comes into play. I even said (quoted directly from my post above) that it looks to be a "shooter." I simply stated that for a 16" AR-15 hunting rifle that is unsuppressed there are better calibers. You can build/buy a .22 that shoots sub MOA, but that doesn't make it a good deer/pig gun.

Everyone is getting all fired up defending things about the BLK that I didn't even question. If you want to say that I'm wrong to think that the 6.8 and 6.5 are ballistically superior to the BLK out of a 16" barrel, go ahead. I did not question or critique anything else about the caliber. I understand that there are other benefits, but this build does not seem to take advantage of the areas where the BLK shines.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 05:59 PM

And DB of the year award goes to........^

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 06:02 PM

Creedmoor and son, go draw some blood! elmer
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 06:06 PM

Looks good. My daughter's 300 is a red x arms also. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 06:11 PM

Creedmoor and son, go draw some blood! elmer

That's the plan. up

I just wonder how many animals have been killed needlessly by guns that didn't take full advantage of the cartridge because something else like the barrel length or scope weren't what they should have been? I'll bet that if this continues the game wardens will start writing citations because of it ......

"HEY! Your barrel isn't taking full advantage of that cartridge! Here's a ticket for successfully killing that hog with it! And don't kill another one!"

Or ....... "You can't hunt with that rifle! The stock doesn't take full advantage of that cartridge! I'm confiscating those 3 coyotes because of it!"

In other words, some people need to get a LIFE. roflmao

Originally Posted By: Tim9880
Looks good. My daughter's 300 is a red x arms also. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

Good to hear! Hope she enjoys it. cheers
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 06:12 PM

OMG STFU
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 06:14 PM

Nice looking gun Creed. Love the 300 BLK.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
OMG STFU

roflmao
Posted By: PiePuncher

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 07:56 PM

You just don't get it.. This thread has nothing to do with your favorite caliber... take a hike. Go lube your favorite 6.8 and shove it...
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 08:54 PM

You guys are being a whole lot more rude to TTU than he ever was to creedmore.

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/24/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
OMG STFU

roflmao
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/25/16 01:05 AM

Butter or no Butter on all of this popcorn!!

300 black sux 6.8 is great!!!!

Thought I would stir up the pot a little and see what happens!
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: New 300BLK first range results - 11/25/16 01:43 AM

Ok.... instead of pulling my hair out, I'll just leave.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum