Texas Hunting Forum

S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name

Posted By: Mickey Moose

S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/18/16 10:32 PM

Any SWHC holders here? Voting to change corporate name from Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation to American Outdoor Brands Corporation? I understand why but have reservations and overall don't like it. I know 99.9% of you would think this is trivial.
Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe

Re: S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/18/16 10:35 PM

I don't think it's trivial and I also don't like it. What is the reasoning?
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/18/16 10:42 PM

The change would be to better reflect their now broader holdings - in light of recent acquisitions (as well as future acquisitions both announced and not). In an insignificant way it could also be a "feel good" move for funds to hold it when people are so anti... the S&W brand name is so well known but American Outdoors blah blah is unknown and not telling to those that don't do due diligence.
Posted By: Earl

Re: S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/19/16 12:24 AM

I'm assuming it's only the holding company (parent company) name. As so, it really doesn't matter much as the S&W entity and brand name would still exist and operate under the corporate parent. The same with Remington, DPMS, and Bushmaster all being owned by Cerberus/Freedom Group but operating still under their own individual entity names.

The thing to watch out for is that holding companies always look for "synergies" across their brands and thus end up watering down all of them. This can happen regardless of their names. It's the corporate inevitability of idiotic bean counters that move out of their bean counting role and into roles and responsibilities they should never have.

If you couldn't tell I've spent the better part of 30 years working for corporate holding companies and their subsidiaries smile
Posted By: HandyMan91

Re: S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/19/16 06:45 PM

this sounds like the whole red skins debacle, its a name that has represented the company forever, I wouldn't change it. but that's just me. I'm not a shareholder either so I have no say. but I'm a good customer smile
Posted By: syncerus

Re: S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/19/16 07:42 PM

It's clearly a move to disassociate the organization with firearms. Almost certainly a good move for corporate positioning, but very unpalatable if you are a strong 2nd Amendment supporter.

There's no way of disguising the intent.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: S&W Proxy Vote - Change Corporate Name - 11/20/16 10:23 AM

I think we are getting corporation names and brand names mixed up. It would be surprising indeed to see S&W handguns marketed as "Outdoor Brands" instead of "Smith and Wesson".

I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for that to happen, seems like this topic is a case of much ado about nothing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum