Texas Hunting Forum

Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots?

Posted By: AP2020

Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 06:28 PM

Posted By: Dien

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 06:55 PM

Umm, he shoots off a tripod...doesn't matter if it's an actual pistol let alone one of those contraptions
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 07:05 PM

He might hit something at 100 yards out of the short barrel, but it would be going so slow that it would be inhumane to shoot anything bigger than a rabbit with it.

Is there supposed to be some kind of point to what he is doing, there?
Posted By: booradley

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 07:22 PM

I've seen a lot of stuff on YouTube that I wondered what the point was. I'm glad YouTube wasn't around when I was a teenager, no telling what I would have posted, that I would have regretted later.

I remember getting a lizard drunk on tequila once by feeding it with an eye dropper. The poor thing could only walk sideways until it sobered up.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 07:24 PM

He said in the video that they were his reloads running 1000 fps in his short barrel. That is right in line with most sub speeds in a 16" barrel. He's tuned the ammo to run a little hotter in the short barrel. It's the same thing I did with my 208 A-max SBR ammo. I up'd the powder charge to have a faster speed in the SBR's. If you run normal sub ammo through a SBR, you do lose a lot of speed, reducing your energy. I've seen as low as 850 and 900 fps with normal subs for a 16" barrel running out of an SBR.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
He might hit something at 100 yards out of the short barrel, but it would be going so slow that it would be inhumane to shoot anything bigger than a rabbit with it.

So you're saying a 30-30 isn't good for anything but rabbits?

The 300BLK was developed with the purpose of shooting it from short barreled rifles. It wasn't developed and people adopted it like the 223REM where the powder doesn't burn effectively. Out of an 8" 300BLK you're getting around 2100 FPS with the 125's compared to the 30-30 which are running around 2200 FPS with the LeverEvolution out of a 16" barrel.

So half the barrel length yet only 100FPS slower with almost same energy on target. I'd say a SBR 300BLK is capable of alot more than rabbits.. rolleyes

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 09:00 PM

Once my NFA stamp gets approved (check cashed 04/21/2016), this is my end game.

As for just rabbits...lol. Our 50+ Ohio Coyotes won't stand a chance!

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 09:07 PM

[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...2_6447486688038[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...2_8116318525955[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...2_6372461668408[/img]
[img]https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/pics/...2_5164911295433[/img]

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 09:22 PM

This load is right at 1,000 fps in my 10.5" Odin Works Pistol barrel.

Note the SD of 11.88

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 09:27 PM

Subsonics lose relatively little velocity over distance compared to supersonic projectiles.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: booradley
I've seen a lot of stuff on YouTube that I wondered what the point was. I'm glad YouTube wasn't around when I was a teenager, no telling what I would have posted, that I would have regretted later.

I remember getting a lizard drunk on tequila once by feeding it with an eye dropper. The poor thing could only walk sideways until it sobered up.

Video and pictures added to help you understand.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Dien
Umm, he shoots off a tripod...doesn't matter if it's an actual pistol let alone one of those contraptions

Indeed....I am a hunter first and foremost. 48 years ago when I started reading about shooting accurately. One thing I always remembered.

If you can shoot kneeling...kneel.
If you can shoot sitting....sit.
If you can shoot prone......prone.

Could I make these shots offhand at 100 yards...probably not consistently.

My goal is to kill game...not win a prize or bragging rights.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Archersparadox2020

I was responding to Charlesb's post and having some fun. It was not aimed at you.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 11:38 PM

Quote:
The 300BLK was developed with the purpose of shooting it from short barreled rifles. It wasn't developed and people adopted it like the 223REM where the powder doesn't burn effectively. Out of an 8" 300BLK you're getting around 2100 FPS with the 125's compared to the 30-30 which are running around 2200 FPS with the LeverEvolution out of a 16" barrel.

So half the barrel length yet only 100FPS slower with almost same energy on target. I'd say a SBR 300BLK is capable of alot more than rabbits.. rolleyes

Well not quite, the Hornady is shooting a 160gr bullet. I am also skeptical of 2100 fps with a 125 out of an 8" barrel. I only get 2100 with the 110gr barnes in a 9". I love the 300BLK and own 3 rifles, but it doesn't kill as good as a 30-30 in my experience. I use my SBR for subsonics and i think that is where it shines.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/17/16 11:40 PM

Is this a joke?

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 12:32 AM

I was responding to Charlesb's post and having some fun. It was not aimed at you.

No problem.

btw....I would have loved to have seen that lizard!!
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 01:11 AM

That is more of a shooter question than a firearm.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim9880

Is this a joke?

Nope.

That's him. loco
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

So you're saying a 30-30 isn't good for anything but rabbits?

The BS is strong in this post. Lol

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 02:11 AM

Yeah, everyone knows physics is BS.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Dude just ignored the fact that the bullet in the hornady load he quoted for the 30-30 is 35 grains (28%) heavier than the load he quoted for 300 BLK. He is trying to say the two calibers produce similar ballistics/speeds by comparing apples and oranges. Total BS.

I know you love the opportunity to be a prick, so I'm just going to assume your nature got the best of you and you aren't really this dense.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Dude just ignored the fact that the bullet in the hornady load he quoted for the 30-30 is 35 grains (28%) heavier than the load he quoted for 300 BLK. He is trying to say the two calibers produce similar ballistics/speeds by comparing apples and oranges. Total BS.

I know you love the opportunity to be a prick, so I'm just going to assume your nature got the best of you and you aren't really this dense.

Sorry misspoke, it was 110gr Barnes I was quoting at the 2100 in 8" barrel and the 110 vmax out of a 16" 30-30 runs around 2500 a little more. Was about 400fps off. Regardless, it will still kill way more than rabbits. I'd say many thousands of hogs and deer would beg the differ.

There is your apples to apples. Not much of a difference and I'd much rather have an 8" barrel over a 16".

No need to get you panties in a wad, it's damn forum.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 03:21 AM

Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:00 AM

Well [censored] here we go again rifle
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 07:23 AM

I love it when people become experts on the 300 blackout from stuff they saw on the internet and feel the need to share (repeat) opinions they read online.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 07:56 AM

Agree with one statement above, the shooter is the biggest part of the equation of accuracy with an AR handgun. An AR carefully assembled by someone that knows truly how using good components can be amazingly accurate when driven by someone that can truly drive it.

For the 300BO being enough gun to hunt with at 100 yards even from a short barrel, I guess it has plenty of energy and bullet to get the job done. Lesser rounds have worked well for me 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 25-20, 256 Win Mag, 30 carbine all come to mind.

As far as using velocity and energy I think Momentum has to be considered as well. 357 Sig, 357 Mag, 44 Spcl and 45ACP have worked well as have larger more powerful handguns when hunting. Speed gets squared in the energy calculations and makes a big difference. For instance a 22-250 can have more energy than BP equivalent loads for the 45-70 but if having to stop a bear with one of those give me the 45-70 any day of the week.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 03:22 PM

I didn't watch the whole video, but I'm assuming we're talking about subsonic ammo? In that case, charles' post is fairly valid as supported by the poster's photo of 388 ft/lbs at 100 yards. I certainly wouldn't shoot anything I wanted to recover with that.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 03:43 PM

To be fair, I am certain that a rabbit could be humanely harvested with it at 100 yards.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 03:43 PM

If I were to shoot game with a subsonic round, I would choose an expanding projectile. I have spoken to David, the owner of LeHigh, many times about the effectiveness of expanding subsonic projectiles. The 194 grain bullet used in this video would be one of the bullets I would consider shooting. But they are not cheap to shoot, as I like to shoot a lot of what I load. The expansion of these bullets is very impressive at sub sonic speeds. That's the main issue with shooting a traditional lead bullet at subs speeds, is the lack of expansion. If you plan to shoot subs for hunting, I think this is one of the best bullets to shoot. But it's not for me.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:01 PM

popcorn

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:07 PM

The original application theory for subsonic projectiles was to go with a larger caliber. The larger and heavier the bullet, it was reasoned, the better it would carry over a distance, and the better effect there would be on the target when it got there.

.458 caliber and .50 caliber bullets were loaded into smaller, shorter than usual cases that would efficiently and fairly quietly launch long, heavy for caliber bullets that were not expected to expand at all. - Just punch a big hole fairly deeply with their inertia.

Long, heavy home-brew bullets turned from bronze were popular in the early "whisper" cartridges.

300 Blackout was and is a bastardization of the original concept - developed for the AR15 platform. Something to "play sniper" with, for the unwashed masses.
To fit the original concept, the 300 Blackout would be chambered in a single-shot or bolt gun with a long throat, and loaded with 30 caliber bullets of 180 grains weight or better. - Not the lightest bullets that one can find for 30 caliber, so that it will fit into an AR15.

The proper AR platform for the 300 Blackout would be the AR10, which would allow the use of the heaviest bullets made in 30 caliber. Even so, the largest caliber that would fit the AR10 action with its heaviest bullets would be better. - .338 or .358 caliber perhaps?

With the heavier bullets at subsonic speed the energy level goes up, penetration is better, the rainbow-like trajectory will stretch out a bit farther and still be a good killer.

At no point were the blackout or whisper rounds ever intended to be used for hunting game. They are sniper rounds only.

"Play sniper" AR15 owners load them up with the lightest 30 caliber bullets so they will fit the AR15 action, and tell themselves that it is "just as good as a 30-30" when it obviously is not.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:13 PM

The original application theory for subsonic projectiles was to go with a larger caliber. The larger and heavier the bullet, it was reasoned, the better it would carry over a distance, and the better effect there would be on the target when it got there.

.458 caliber and .50 caliber bullets were loaded into smaller, shorter than usual cases that would efficiently and fairly quietly launch long, heavy for caliber bullets that were not expected to expand at all. - Just punch a big hole fairly deeply with their inertia.

Long, heavy home-brew bullets turned from bronze were popular in the early "whisper" cartridges.

300 Blackout was and is a bastardization of the original concept - developed for the AR platform. Something to "play sniper" with, for the unwashed masses.
To fit the original concept, the 300 Blackout would be chambered in a single-shot or bolt gun with a long throat, and loaded with 30 caliber bullets of 180 grains weight or better. - Not the lightest bullets that one can find for 30 caliber, so that it will fit into an AR.

The proper AR platform for the 300 Blackout would be the AR10, which would allow the use of the heaviest bullets made in 30 caliber. Even so, the largest caliber that would fit the AR10 action with its heaviest bullets would be better. - .338 or .358 caliber perhaps?

With the heavier bullets the energy level goes up, penetration is better, the rainbow-like trajectory will stretch out a bit farther and still be a good killer.

At no point were the blackout or whisper rounds ever intended to be used for hunting game. They are sniper rounds only.

"Play sniper" AR15 owners load them up with the lightest 30 caliber bullets so they will fit the AR15 action, and tell themselves that it is "just as good as a 30-30" when it obviously is not.

Yeah this is false. The original intent was to replace the mp 5 as really short 223 are not the greatest. It was never designed to "play sniper"

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:23 PM

Same Lehigh Defense 194 gr. Maximum Expansion at 400 Yards.

For the naysayers...just watch the video. Would I take a shot at a live animal at this range? NO.

18 feet of drop. NO.

However, if this bullet will EXPAND at 400 yards starting out at a SUBSONIC Velocity.. let your EYES be the judge

POPCORN....NEXT..LOL

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:29 PM

300 Blackout was and is a bastardization of the original concept - developed for the AR15 platform. Something to "play sniper" with, for the unwashed masses.
To fit the original concept, the 300 Blackout would be chambered in a single-shot or bolt gun with a long throat, and loaded with 30 caliber bullets of 180 grains weight or better. - Not the lightest bullets that one can find for 30 caliber, so that it will fit into an AR15.

With the heavier bullets at subsonic speed the energy level goes up, penetration is better, the rainbow-like trajectory will stretch out a bit farther and still be a good killer.

... who would "play sniper" with a bullet running 1000FPS?

I got some 208GR Subs that fit in the AR15 no problem, not sure what you're talking about that only the lightest of 30cal bullets will fit in the AR15 platform.

Also the AR10/SR25 is an 308 platform. Why would you shoot 300BLK from a 308 chamber when you'd just shoot 308 subs out of it?

Please don't try to hurt your brain talking about the AR platform. You've proven time and time again that you know absolutely nothing about it. Fact from another thread you posted "Your only experience with the AR platform was a DPMS you owned for a couple of months" yet you bash the AR platform any chance you get even though your only experience with the platform was the bottom of the barrel and one of the cheapest AR's made.

Originally Posted By: Cleric

Yeah this is false. The original intent was to replace the mp 5 as really short 223 are the greatest. It was never designed to "play sniper"

This is correct.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:35 PM

"..."play sniper" with, for the unwashed masses."

Geeez

P_102

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
"..."play sniper" with, for the unwashed masses."

Geeez

P_102

Exactly, and with a 1000 fps bullet.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 06:43 PM

Charles, ive given you the benefit of doubt, but with every topic you always use "play sniper"or the like. As if someone who doesn't follow your lead to "T" is a bad guy in our forum or hunting community. It's now getting old. This thread really highlights that sometimes you just troll.

Fwiw look up 338 thumper or spectre it's a pretty impressive and efficient round for what it is and at 100 yds I think it's a viable option to hunt game larger than rabbits with.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 06:45 PM

... who would "play sniper" with a bullet running 1000FPS?

I got some 208GR Subs that fit in the AR15 no problem, not sure what you're talking about that only the lightest of 30cal bullets will fit in the AR15 platform.

Also the AR10/SR25 is an 308 platform. Why would you shoot 300BLK from a 308 chamber when you'd just shoot 308 subs out of it?

Please don't try to hurt your brain talking about the AR platform. You've proven time and time again that you know absolutely nothing about it. Fact from another thread you posted "Your only experience with the AR platform was a DPMS you owned for a couple of months" yet you bash the AR platform any chance you get even though your only experience with the platform was the bottom of the barrel and one of the cheapest AR's made.

Yeah this is false. The original intent was to replace the mp 5 as really short 223 are the greatest. It was never designed to "play sniper"

This is correct.

1. I have had no issues with function or accuracy out of a DPMS.
2. Pistols can be very accurate when in the right hands, as the video proves. I've put together many sub-inch groups with contenders and encores off of bags at 100 yards.
3. The 300 blackout will get close, but not match the ballistics of a 30-30 with proper ammo. Close, but I doubt the deer and hogs care much.
4. A blackout pistol may be the most badazz truck gun ever devised, and now I want one.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

1. I have had no issues with function or accuracy out of a DPMS.
2. Pistols can be very accurate when in the right hands, as the video proves. I've put together many sub-inch groups with contenders and encores off of bags at 100 yards.
3. The 300 blackout will get close, but not match the ballistics of a 30-30 with proper ammo. Close, but I doubt the deer and hogs care much.
4. A blackout pistol may be the most badazz truck gun ever devised, and now I want one.

1. I've sighted in a DPMS for a friend and had no problems out of it and I ran about 100 rounds through it after sight in. Not saying DPMS are junk, especially the LR308 DPMS they are great. Was just proving a point with Charles that based off a couple of months with a lower end DPMS AR15 he does not have the knowledge nor experience to consistently bash the AR platform every chance he gets.

2. completely agree, accuracy doesn't really depend on barrel length. Here is a good write up on the myths of barrel length and accuracy

3. That is exactly what I was trying to say, the 300 is close to a 30-30, not quite but close. Given the modular design of the AR I'd rather have the 300blk than a 30-30 for a truck/blind gun. Just easier to maneuver but of course anyone that uses and AR platform is "play sniper" according to Charles.

4. Totally agree which is why I just built one, not a pistol though but an 8" SBR.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 08:14 PM

Just a little comparison,

Top is a 20" RPR
Middle Top is 16" LR308
Middle Bottom is 16" AR15
Bottom 8" 300BLK

This thing is tiny, not sure why I waited so long to do it. So much more manuverable for a truck/blind gun and weighs almost nothing without the suppressor rofl.

Disclaimer: I'm sure one of you guys will call me out for not comparing apples to apples because it didn't have a muzzle device on it, sorry was still in the process of building it when the pic was taken and haven't take a group picture since.

Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/18/16 09:13 PM

A good video about the design intentions and capabilities of the 300 BO...

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/19/16 10:55 AM

Nice stable of rifles and SBR's!

Top is a 20" RPR
Middle Top is 16" LR308
Bottom 8" 300BLK

This thing is tiny, not sure why I waited so long to do it. So much more manuverable for a truck/blind gun and weighs almost nothing without the suppressor rofl.

Disclaimer: I'm sure one of you guys will call me out for not comparing apples to apples because it didn't have a muzzle device on it, sorry was still in the process of building it when the pic was taken and haven't take a group picture since.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/19/16 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jorge
Charles, ive given you the benefit of doubt, but with every topic you always use "play sniper"or the like. As if someone who doesn't follow your lead to "T" is a bad guy in our forum or hunting community. It's now getting old. This thread really highlights that sometimes you just troll.

Fwiw look up 338 thumper or spectre it's a pretty impressive and efficient round for what it is and at 100 yds I think it's a viable option to hunt game larger than rabbits with.

In other words you do not agree with what I have said, and have no real argument or information to offer, so you resort to name-calling.

Put me down as "unimpressed" by that behavior.

The topic here is the 300 Blackout. Do have any new information to offer about that round?

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/19/16 11:32 AM

The 300 blackout only comes "close" to the 30-30 if we all pretend that the 30-30 does not use 150 and 170 grain bullets for deer - and 110's or 125's for varmints.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/19/16 07:01 PM

Nice stable of rifles and SBR's!

Top is a 20" RPR
Middle Top is 16" LR308
Bottom 8" 300BLK

Thanks, pretty happy with them.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/19/16 07:53 PM

The 300 blackout only comes "close" to the 30-30 if we all pretend that the 30-30 does not use 150 and 170 grain bullets for deer - and 110's or 125's for varmints.

But at what barrel lengths??

I have never seen an 8 in 30-30 rifle.

And if the 300 is close to the 30-30, the 30-30 has killed many of deer and elk long before the new powders that give it far better ballistic performance

I agree the 300 is not a long distance round. I don't like the term sniper for a number of reasons.

I do not think the intent was to go hunting with subs when it first came out a number of years ago. As people have tinkered with bullet designs some have developed bullets that can be used with subsonic hunting.

Out of curiosity where did you see that the original intent was for long range shooting?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/19/16 10:41 PM

In other words you do not agree with what I have said, and have no real argument or information to offer, so you resort to name-calling.

The topic here is the 300 Blackout. Do have any new information to offer about that round?

You always call out name-calling but ignore the fact that you name call constantly. Unwashed masses?

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 10:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

You always call out name-calling but ignore the fact that you name call constantly. Unwashed masses?

People who took and passed English 101 have no trouble understanding that general characterizations are not "name-calling" because they do not refer to an individual.

Duh!

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 10:47 AM

Apparently, Charles, you either did not take or did not pass your favorite English 101 class you keep bringing up.
You were not called a name, other than your own, in the post you copied. P_102

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 10:56 AM

Out of curiosity where did you see that the original intent was for long range shooting?

That was listed as being part of the reasoning behind using large caliber, heavy for caliber bullets for sub-sonic sniper rifle rounds. They would have a rainbow trajectory of course, but they would also reach out farther and still retain plenty of killing power.

The advantage in a sub-sonic sniper round should be obvious to just about anybody.

The "Long Range" being discussed is a relative long range for a subsonic rifle projectile, as compared to the short-range performance one traditionally sees in sub-sonic pistols. The advantage in longer range for any sniping application should be obvious to anybody.

One would think so, at least - but expecting everyone to apprehend the obvious is a sure road to disappointment.

The history of sub-sonic rifle cartridge development for sniping applications is well-documented. - And it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to work out why silence, the longest ranges possible and the good terminal performance would be advantageous for snipers.

When a firearm type becomes very popular, as the AR15 has, it should come as no surprise that hokey marketing devices will tend to surface, as entrepreneurs strive to get their share of profits from the feeding frenzy. Thus we hear a lot of misinformation about the 300 Blackout shooting varmint bullets being "just as good" as a 30-30 shooting much heavier game bullets.

BS is BS, and I call it when I see it as a public service. The 300 Blackout in an AR15 makes a nice short-range target round, but is not really optimal for anything else. It is too large in caliber to succeed as a varmint or small game round, and doesn't have enough case capacity to launch heavier projectiles at reliably effective velocities for general game hunting. It can do a fair job on pigs, small deer and such at short range with 30 caliber varmint bullets- but anybody with a lever-action rifle in 30-30 will be much better equipped.

That's just how it is, when we set marketing hype aside and give the 300 blackout a BS-free, objective appraisal.

If somebody gets all butt-hurt over objective reality then that is their problem, not mine.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 10:57 AM

Apparently, Charles, you either did not take or did not pass your favorite English 101 class you keep bringing up.
You were not called a name, other than your own, in the post you copied. P_102

I was called a troll.

A good general rule to go by is that if you are having trouble reading and understanding what you are commenting about - then you should probably hold back on making comments.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 12:19 PM

"...sometimes you just troll."

Saying that someone does something is not calling them a name. Perhaps it would be a good idea
for you to try following your own general rule. P_102

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 02:00 PM

Saying that someone does something is not calling them a name. P_102

You must not be married or have ever had a girlfriend lol

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 04:36 PM

That was listed as being part of the reasoning behind using large caliber, heavy for caliber bullets for sub-sonic sniper rifle rounds. They would have a rainbow trajectory of course, but they would also reach out farther and still retain plenty of killing power.

The advantage in a sub-sonic sniper round should be obvious to just about anybody.

The "Long Range" being discussed is a relative long range for a subsonic rifle projectile, as compared to the short-range performance one traditionally sees in sub-sonic pistols. The advantage in longer range for any sniping application should be obvious to anybody.

One would think so, at least - but expecting everyone to apprehend the obvious is a sure road to disappointment.

The history of sub-sonic rifle cartridge development for sniping applications is well-documented. - And it doesn't take a nuclear physicist to work out why silence, the longest ranges possible and the good terminal performance would be advantageous for snipers.

When a firearm type becomes very popular, as the AR15 has, it should come as no surprise that hokey marketing devices will tend to surface, as entrepreneurs strive to get their share of profits from the feeding frenzy. Thus we hear a lot of misinformation about the 300 Blackout shooting varmint bullets being "just as good" as a 30-30 shooting much heavier game bullets.

BS is BS, and I call it when I see it as a public service. The 300 Blackout in an AR15 makes a nice short-range target round, but is not really optimal for anything else. It is too large in caliber to succeed as a varmint or small game round, and doesn't have enough case capacity to launch heavier projectiles at reliably effective velocities for general game hunting. It can do a fair job on pigs, small deer and such at short range with 30 caliber varmint bullets- but anybody with a lever-action rifle in 30-30 will be much better equipped.

That's just how it is, when we set marketing hype aside and give the 300 blackout a BS-free, objective appraisal.

If somebody gets all butt-hurt over objective reality then that is their problem, not mine.

So a subsonic heavy for caliber bullet is always intended to be used to "snipe"?

I'm pretty sure the 300 blackout was not designed for that purpose at all. I'm actually rather sure it was designed for short to medium range subsonic use.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/20/16 04:38 PM

I know law enforcement and military snipers. Never do any of them use a .300 BO.

.308 Win is still the prevailing cartridge in a short action round.
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/21/16 09:39 PM

TLDR

1. Barrel length has no effect on accuracy
2. If you suck at shooting at 50 yards, you'll probably suck at 100....
3. The idiot attached to the trigger is the largest factor on shooting anything accurately at ANY range. REGARDLESS of caliber.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/22/16 11:25 AM

His theory is that if somebody says he kisses butt, then they are not calling him a butt-kisser.

He should try that on some of his buddies and see they salute when it goes up the flag-pole. bs

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/22/16 11:27 AM

So a subsonic heavy for caliber bullet is always intended to be used to "snipe"?

It sure isn't intended for hunting game, so...

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/22/16 01:16 PM

It sure isn't intended for hunting game, so...

If it's not suitable for hunting game, what would make it suitable for a sniper round. I.e. engaging human targets at great distances.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/22/16 01:26 PM

Every squirrel and rabbit I've killed in the last 5 years has been with a heavy for caliber subsonic round.

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/22/16 02:13 PM

His theory is that if somebody says he kisses butt, then they are not calling him a butt-kisser.

He should try that on some of his buddies and see they salute when it goes up the flag-pole. bs

Is this a drunk post? I hope so because it makes absolutely no sense. You sound ignorant and childish when you speak. You have no facts or experience to back up your claims so you resort to childish name calling or school yard "I know you are but what am I" crap. Grow the F up.
Posted By: Elliot

Re: Is the 300 Blackout in an AR Pistol configuration capable of accurate 100 yard shots? - 11/22/16 06:58 PM

You really sound like you know what you are talking about.....you should stop.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum