Texas Hunting Forum

Best sub $1K hunting rifle

Posted By: jskin

Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:01 AM

Looking for a new rifle in either .243 or 6.5 creed. Want to stay under a grand for rifle only

Thanks
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:02 AM

Do you want something as nice as possible for $1000? Or is that just the top end of the budget. Lots of quality hunting rifles available for much much less than $1k
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:06 AM

Tikka or sako
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:08 AM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
Tikka or sako

Yup.
Posted By: watchale

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:12 AM

Tikkas aren't available in 6.5 creed are they?

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:18 AM

http://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXC382-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-CTR-65-Creedmoor-200--barrel-MPN-JR.aspx
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:18 AM

tikkas suk,

try a Browning x-bolt, seriously the Tikka is a nice rifle. I guess...trolling a bit

My daughter checked zero on her Browning Micro X-Bolt yesterday, little rifle amazes me with its accuracy out of the box. 7mm-08.

Browning has a new model out called the Hell's Canyon in 6.5 Creed, has a McMillan Game Scout stock, burnt bronze Cerakote, Vais brake, trick rifle......check it out.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:24 AM

Sako A7.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:49 AM

Savage all the way but the tikka is good just not as good smile
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:56 AM

If you want a 6.5 Creedmoor get a Savage. I'd try to find a used one and spend the rest on glass.

If you want a .243 or other caliber Tikka and Savage are great.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:04 AM

That's pretty sweet. Wonder how long the back order would take .

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:12 AM

No idea last I heard was after the first of the year
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
If you want a 6.5 Creedmoor get a Savage. I'd try to find a used one and spend the rest on glass.

If you want a .243 or other caliber Tikka and Savage are great.

X2, really can't go wrong with a Savage.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: jvr_dejesus

If you don't mind having to double stroke it to chamber a round, and if you don't mind it eventually not ejecting, sure they're good rifles, with a good barrel.

If you want to avoid those problems AND have a good rifle with a good barrel, go Tikka.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 01:29 PM

That's plenty to get you a very nice rifle.

My two top rifles are a Winchester Featherweight Model 70, and a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe Sporter that I recently picked up a Walmart. It's a special version of the Vanguard made especially for Walmart that carries nearly all the higher end features of their Deluxe Vanguard (high gloss, polished stock and high luster bluing) but for half the price of their Deluxe model ($657 as opposed to $1147 list). It seems to be a very hard-to-find model that you won't see listed on the Weatherby website, or anywhere else on the Web for that matter. But as many have said about their own Vanguards, it's a true tack driver for sure.

The Winchester Model 70 is another great classic and beautiful gun to own IMO.

And although I don't own one, there isn't anything more classic than a Remington Model 700 BDL.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 01:58 PM

Ill add another vote for wby vanguard, very happy with mine.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
That's plenty to get you a very nice rifle.

My two top rifles are a Winchester Featherweight Model 70, and a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe Sporter that I recently picked up a Walmart. It's a special version of the Vanguard made especially for Walmart that carries nearly all the higher end features of their Deluxe Vanguard (high gloss, polished stock and high luster bluing) but for half the price of their Deluxe model ($657 as opposed to $1147 list). It seems to be a very hard-to-find model that you won't see listed on the Weatherby website, or anywhere else on the Web for that matter. But as many have said about their own Vanguards, it's a true tack driver for sure.

The Winchester Model 70 is another great classic and beautiful gun to own IMO.

And although I don't own one, there isn't anything more classic than a Remington Model 700 BDL.
Local WM has one in 30-06, 308, and 270. If they had one in 223, I would have gotten it instead of the Tikka. Really nice rifle for the price.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 02:29 PM

We have several Vanguards in the family and I really like them. For less than a grand though you can have a Winchester M70 which I'd rather have.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:17 PM

Don't get me wrong my old vanguard would shoot just about one hole at 100 yards but feel and finish tikka is leagues ahead.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 03:49 PM

Don't get me wrong my old vanguard would shoot just about one hole at 100 yards but feel and finish tikka is leagues ahead.

What vanguard do you have?

I prefer vanguard for the feel and finish. Tika feels like a cheap light pos to me, its why I couldn't buy one.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

If you don't mind having to double stroke it to chamber a round, and if you don't mind it eventually not ejecting, sure they're good rifles, with a good barrel.

If you want to avoid those problems AND have a good rifle with a good barrel, go Tikka.

Don't shoot as much as you but I've never had any of these problems. In fact my Max 1 Predator action is as smooth as my Sakos and the trigger is awesome. I really think just about every manufacturer is making a good rifle these days. Best to just pick one you like and feels good in your hands. Tikkas shoot excellent and the action is smooth but just feel flimsy and cheap to me.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:21 PM

Savage builds a shooting rifle, no doubt.

Pretty much every customer I have come out with a Savage, they have no problem all the way down the range. And a few times ,or many times, all of them will try to chamber a round, back up the bolt a half inch, then it'll chamber. It happened, and happens with my Savage actions. I suspect it is their extractor design causing it.

The lack of ejecting is why my .22-250, prairie dog rifle, is why it hasn't been fixed or replaced. Since it doesn't eject, I don't lose brass on the prairie. smile

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:33 PM

Savage and Tikka are my 2 favorites. As for Tikkas feeling "Cheap" I don't get that feeling at all. Sure, the stock is extremely light, but so is any factory plastic stock. Honestly, I love my Tikka T3 Lite in .243 because it is extremely light. It is 100% factory and I can pack that thing anywhere. If I wanted a heavier, more solid stock I would get a Manners, McMillan, or B&C.

That being said, Savage has my favorite feature of any rifle brand, being able to change the barrel. An average joe can change the rifle barrel on a Savage and change the caliber of the rifle. A buddy of mine bought a Savage in .308, then bought after market barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor and .243 Win. Whenever he wants a different caliber he changes the barrel, which takes about 30 minutes.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 04:44 PM

Browning A-Bolt

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

What vanguard do you have?

I prefer vanguard for the feel and finish. Tika feels like a cheap light pos to me, its why I couldn't buy one.

I'm with redchevy, I've never heard anyone say the fit and finish of a Tikka is better than a Vanguard until now. It has always been the other way around.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 05:28 PM

You keep mentioning this, but after 3,000 rounds through my model 10, it has yet to have these problems.

I vote Savage
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Browning A-Bolt

Can't argue with this. Love mine.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

You keep mentioning this, but after 3,000 rounds through my model 10, it has yet to have these problems.

I vote Savage

So you got one good one and I've seen about 30 of then do what I'm telling about.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 06:46 PM

I vote Savage

So you got one good one and I've seen about 30 of then do what I'm telling about.

I have several Savages with 5000 rounds plus no issues here.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 06:48 PM

New Winchester M70.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 06:57 PM

I vote Savage

I have 5 Savages now and a few more that I have sold over the years. Never had a problem with them. I know I never had over 2000 rounds on any of them but then they were all Model 110 or Stevens 200 actions. Maybe the older actions/bolts were better? About the only chambering issues that I have had are the ones that I pretty well did myself since I have long actions and run short action cartridges in them. Every once in a while they don't slide out quite correctly out of the blind mag due to the length of cartridge that it wasn't designed for.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 07:28 PM

Why the 6.5 Creedmore?? Current fad?? Think about ammo availability, especially if you happen to forget your ammo on the drive to your lease.
.270, 30-06,.243, 7Mag. are better choices IMO.
For 1K, Winchester Supergrade would be my choice.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 07:28 PM

Old standard vanguard. Bluing was terrible bolt wasn't nearly as smooth as the tikka. Mine had lots of wear and tear yes but to me the tikka felt much better. The tikka is light yes but fit me better. To each there own. I've had savage that would shoot great also but at the end of the day I still prefer the tikka. Probably the best shooting gun I've had was the sako a7. Regret selling that one.
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 07:52 PM

I've had a limited sampling in terms of mine and a few friends rifles but I have yet to see any issues. The only issue Ive seen is every single one of them no matter how cheap was an absolute tack driver. For the average hunting rifle they are a great rifle for the price point.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 08:20 PM

bs
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 08:25 PM

Model 70.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Model 70.

I picked my Model 70 when they were still being assembled here in the U.S. at their plant in South Carolina. Today, the Model 70 is being assembled in Portugal.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 09:03 PM

Above your range, but if I had $1000 to spend I'd save a little longer and call Alamo Precision and get a 6.5 from them.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 10:12 PM

Tikka CTR in .308. For hunting I like mine, a lot.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Model 70.

I picked my Model 70 when they were still being assembled here in the U.S. at their plant in South Carolina. Today, the Model 70 is being assembled in Portugal.

That may be true, but they are still very nicely done. I have three of these and not a single complaint against any. In fact, the Model 70 that has given me the most trouble is a pushfeed, US-built rifle. I finally tamed it, though.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 10:29 PM

I had a Winchester M70 Extreme in 7mm-08 fine gun, maybe a bit over $1000
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 11:17 PM

Winchester model 70.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/14/16 11:59 PM

$1000 gets you plenty of guns.

I'm a Winchester fan so I would always recommend an m70 if the budget fit, but you can't go wrong with anything mentioned here. I have a savage that doesn't have any issues, but I only have maybe 200-300 rounds through it so who knows. The accutrigger is really nice on the newer ones and something I would really recommend trying if you hadn't already.

I hear and see good things about tikka, they just feel cheap to me so I probably won't ever own one.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:15 AM

I would love to own a Remington 700 CDL SF cool

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:37 AM

What about the Tikka feels cheap? The only thing I can think of is the stock which is similar to any plastic stock on the market and can easily get changed out. The Trigger on Tikka rifles is outstanding, the best factory trigger IMO. Also, no one can argue the smoothness of the action.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:52 AM

Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or Extreme All Weather.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:54 AM

What about the Tikka feels cheap? The only thing I can think of is the stock which is similar to any plastic stock on the market and can easily get changed out. The Trigger on Tikka rifles is outstanding, the best factory trigger IMO. Also, no one can argue the smoothness of the action.

I've went to the store to buy one. And when the dealer handed it to me, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I just didn't like the feel of it. And to me it seemed like the barrel was really thin.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:57 AM

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-forest-7mm-08-rem-95in-twist-224in-bbl-jrtf652.aspx

This one looks pretty sweet though ! cool
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:57 AM

I have 2 Savages. One of mine, which is a lightweight hunter, does exactly what Jason says. I really have to be careful to pull the bolt all the way back or it will not feed. It gets stuck on the feed ramp. I bought a spare mag and that one works much better. Never had that issue with Winchesters, CZ , Rugers or my Kimber but those are controlled feed rifles. My recent purchase of a TIKKA CTR has a butter smooth action.

You can buy a lot of rifles for a $1000. It really depends on what type of rifle you like (blued, stainless, wood stock, synthetic stock).

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: watchale

I've went to the store to buy one. And when the dealer handed it to me, I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I just didn't like the feel of it. And to me it seemed like the barrel was really thin.

Cabelas offers a camo stock, stainless model with a heavier fluted barrel. That might feel a little more solid. I personally love the Tikka T3 Lite. When I was antelop hunting and hiked over 3 miles I was very happy I didn't take a heavier rifle.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 01:04 AM

Add another $100 and get this
http://www.eurooptic.com/JRMVR15F-Sako-A7-Coyote-w-Roughtech-Stock-243-Win-244--bbl-1.aspx

Dang it now I want one.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: watchale

Cabelas offers a camo stock, stainless model with a heavier fluted barrel. That might feel a little more solid. I personally love the Tikka T3 Lite. When I was antelop hunting and hiked over 3 miles I was very happy I didn't take a heavier rifle.

Lol yea i bet ! I'll have to check that rifle from cabelas out though up
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 02:25 AM

The tikka stock feels cheap, and while the action is very "smooth", it almost feels too smooth if that makes any sense? It's very loose feeling to me and while it is slick as can be I'm sure, I just didn't like the feel. Felt like opening the glove box on an older Ford truck where they just fall open.

The stock is easily remedied and I'm sure there's obviously nothing wrong with the actions, it's just personal preference.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 11:35 AM

I can't speak to other Tikkas but within the last month a bought a Tikka T3X CTR in 308. I actually like the factory stock. I like the shape and I like the feel. The forend feels very rigid and it shoots. I feels like better quality than other cheap stocks on rifles. I have several McMillan stocks but I never considered replacing the CTR stock once I handled and shot it.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: 7x57
The tikka stock feels cheap, and while the action is very "smooth", it almost feels too smooth if that makes any sense? It's very loose feeling to me and while it is slick as can be I'm sure, I just didn't like the feel. Felt like opening the glove box on an older Ford truck where they just fall open.

The stock is easily remedied and I'm sure there's obviously nothing wrong with the actions, it's just personal preference.

I agree, it's all personal preference. I love the silky bolt. Just about every time I run the Tikka it still amazes me how smooth it is.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 02:56 PM

I bought a tikka and used the action for my semi custom build and it has been outstanding! BUT there is absolutely no way I would have bought that rifle and used it as is with the crappy stock it had on it! So if you are going to buy a tikka buy the one with the wood stock.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 07:41 PM

if you have $800-$1k to spend I would go browning, remmy CDL, Winny model 70 or Ruger M77. If you can find a Sako for under $1000 there really good along with the Vanguard Deluxe wby's.....they are very hard to tell from a Mark V.

Tikkas are ok but they are really entry level rifle...they may shoot great but the fit and finish really leave something to be desired imo

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 08:52 PM

I've never owned a Tikka, I've got a bad shoulder and as such like heavier rifles and I abhor muzzle breaks. I would have considered a Hunter model in the past because they are heavier but, I could never get past the tiny ejection port. And I do think the standard T3 synthetic stock is too flimsy. So other than the synthetic stocks my dislike for Tikka's is nothing but personal preference. As I stated in another thread the ejection port issue has been obviated somewhat in the T3x and the stock has been improved.

I've shot enough Tikka's though to have a firm belief that as a rule they are incredibly accurate out of the box. I also believe Vanguards are just as accurate out of the box and their weight which is a liability to most people is an asset to me. I'd like to get a 22-250 and when the time comes will definitely consider a Tikka.

For me though I would rather have a Winchester Model 70 over any rifle under $1k. And the reason is just personal like.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/15/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Browning A-Bolt

Yep. Love mine too.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/16/16 06:12 PM

This could work:

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...5_Creedm#UNREAD
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/17/16 03:44 AM

Why not do the whole thing for 1K...

Savage 10 T $499 I'm not crazy about the bolt handle but that can be changed for 40-50 bucks. We bought the 308 from academy for 549 and it is threaded, and ready to go. My brother shot it today and with TAP it shot 3/4 min out to 200 yards with an old scope we had laying around...pretty good for a sub $600 dollar gun out of the box.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles|/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-174-arms-model-10t-tactical-bolt-action-rifle/1695199.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fbolt-action-centerfire-rifles%2F_%2FN-1114860%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105523380

Put a nice scope on it here is one for 339

http://www.samplelist.com/Nikon-3-12x42-Monarch-3-Riflescope-DEMO-C-P100690.aspx

100 for rings for your rail...and your rigged out for 1K....

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/17/16 12:52 PM

This isn't a bad combo in Creedmoor.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-X-Bolt-Stalker-Bolt-Action-Rifle-with-Leupold-reg-VX-x-Scope-Combo/2287596.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3D6_p5%2Bcreedmoor%26CQ_st%3Db
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/17/16 02:47 PM

The Remington 700 American Wilderness Rifle is alot of rifle for around $925. It has a stainless barreled action that is Cerakoted. Barrel has 5R rifling. It also has a Grayboe stock, which is a McMillan offshoot.

Winchester 70 Extreme Weather would be another strong contender.
Posted By: chrswr

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/19/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jorge
Savage all the way but the tikka is good just not as good smile

Agreed. Love my TH XP in 25-06
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/19/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Browning A-Bolt

Yep. Love mine too.

My Medallion is a sweet rifle.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/19/16 03:46 AM

T3 stock is poop. R700's stock trigger is nasty. Savage's action is ugly. Browning tang safeties piss me off. M77 Hawkeye looks weird/ugly. Winchester, Marlin, TC, and others need to go die. M788 is just horrible all around.

Weatherby Vanguard is the budget rifle's Savior. It's the best and most accurate rifle there is and if you disagree you're an ignorant bigot against American branded Japanese rifles. roflmao

grin

As you can, the shortcomings of most of the sub-$1k rifle category is trivial. They are all marginally better or worse than each other.

Except the 788; it's literal butt, and not the good kind.

smile
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/19/16 04:00 AM

I vote for the Tikka T3. I bought one off the forum in a bell and carlson stock plus I got the factory stock. Paid well under 1k. Action is smooth, trigger is easy to adjust and crisp, and best of all it toches holes at 100 yards all day.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/19/16 03:20 PM

We have debated 5 pages over the best rifle for under $1000 with absolutely no input at all from the original poster on what he is looking for. He just set a generic bear trap and left us to argue.

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/19/16 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
We have debated 5 pages over the best rifle for under $1000 with absolutely no input at all from the original poster on what he is looking for. He just set a generic bear trap and left us to argue.

And boy did it work! aim
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: Best sub $1K hunting rifle - 11/21/16 09:30 PM

T3X
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum