Texas Hunting Forum

Savage 250. Should I?

Posted By: Creekrunner

Savage 250. Should I? - 11/12/16 11:05 PM

Well I've been occasionally looking for a 99 in .250-3000 for well over a decade. Found one yesterday; take-down, brass counter, the whole nine yards. And now factory ammo is extremely limited in production. I don't reload and I'm a shooter, not a "collector", of rifles.

Would you buy it (assuming it's a reasonable price)? Anybody else have one and how's it been finding ammo?

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/12/16 11:13 PM

Yes, IF the price is what you consider OK. Buy a few boxes of ammo, SAVE the brass, and get a quality loader reload them for you. I'm always looking for a 300 Savage just because! Don't need it, but just want one.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/12/16 11:16 PM

99 take downs are noted for poor accuracy, the pre 1950 are 1-14 twist(designed for 87gr), forget about factory 100gr bullets its a no go, I will only buy take downs for collection, only like new gets me interested.
ps, contact me if you want to discuss, been collection the 1899's for 40yrs
Posted By: bo3

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/12/16 11:19 PM

If I had been looking for a certain gun for ten years, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You've been looking for it for a decade, buy it or you'll regret it for the next decade.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/12/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: bo323
If I had been looking for a certain gun for ten years, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. You've been looking for it for a decade, buy it or you'll regret it for the next decade.

What bo323 said!!! You have to buy or it'll keep bothering you as the one that got away. I know, I have a couple of guns over the years that I passed on & it is still bugging me!!!
Posted By: chalet

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/12/16 11:59 PM

Buy it. Shoot it. Sell it if don't work out.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 12:13 AM

That is a dandy lil cartridge. Pull the trigger, pun intended
Posted By: MClark

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 12:33 AM

Accuracy on take downs is hit and miss. If they were taken apart many times the barrel can get loose.
I have a 300 Savage made in 1941 and I don't think the barrel was ever off, we had to use a barrel vice to remove it.
Shoots good, was carrying it today.
The 250 is good, buy a bunch of ammunition in case they stop making it.

Mark
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 12:43 AM

Hornady is releasing 250 brass! I know you said your not a reloader but get chad to load it for you and your gtg. I regret selling my 99 in 250-3000 in college. Id give my left nut to have that gun back
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 01:16 AM

Ammo is pretty much 100% mail order now. My lives in the safe.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 01:21 AM

Robert Duval's rifle in Joe Kidd
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 06:59 PM

There is never any time like now to start reloading. The 250 Savage is an awesome cartridge in any action.

This young fellow (13) visited my ranch this past May, hunted with 250 Savage that his dad and granddad built for him. The young fellow painted the rifle and loaded the ammunition so the loading is not that hard of a task.

He texted his dad and said there was a really large hog at the feeder and he wasn't sure if he should attempt to shoot it. His dad texted back to shoot it in the ear, he did, and it went straight down. The shot was a 100 yards.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 08:28 PM

that's like "the girls all get prettier @ closing time"
Posted By: bo3

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
that's like "the girls all get prettier @ closing time"

Still true

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/13/16 09:44 PM

http://m.hornady.com/store/250-Savage-new
Posted By: Dupi

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/14/16 07:07 AM

Buy it n if it don't work out then sell it

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/14/16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: cxjcherokec

Most of the Interlock bullets have been discontinued including this bullet so any ammunition you would find featuring it would be new, old stock. The OPs concern about factory ammo is valid, the odds of finding it are nil.

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/14/16 02:15 PM

Hornady just released the ammo, did you even bother to look at the link.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 12:53 AM

I heard same...Hornady and Jamason brass both have brass..Its a wonderful cartridge I been reloading for 36y for wifes ruger 77 ultralight

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 01:05 AM

The downfall are the bullets available. The BC are terrible on the 25 cals, the biggest hinderance to the 25-06 have any validity in the LR sector. But boy you can get em moving fast. If some new bullets come about the 25 cals will be some real contenders in the future since the case is so efficient.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 12:59 PM

Decisions Decisions Decisions, good luck

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 01:47 PM

Yeah I did. The "Get This Item Now" just opens all the Hornady dealers in your area but nothing specific on the ammo so I tried to look up the bullet used and it is no longer on Hornady's website. The online retailers that offered the bullet, such as MidwayUSA, list is as discontinued. In addition, Hornady has sent out and posted numerous notices that the Interlock series have been suspended or discontinued in favor of their new series.

I sure would not buy a rifle based on the hope of obtaining this ammunition.

There are some outfits offering custom ammunition for the 250 Savage with big game bullets it is typically $50 to $70 for a box of 20 cartridges.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 02:19 PM

If you are wanting to shoot the gun (or any ceterfire gun, really) extensively at all, then taking up reloading would be a very good idea.

Especially so with firearms that shoot cartridges you are not likely to find at the local Wal-Mart.

You can re-load accurate cartridges easily with the inexpensive LEE products. Here are two good places to find out about the various options that LEE offers:

Lee Precision

Lee Loader Forum

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 02:32 PM

If hornady has no intention of keeping the ammo on the shelf than why did they release 250 savage brass in march?

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

Yeah I did. The "Get This Item Now" just opens all the Hornady dealers in your area but nothing specific on the ammo so I tried to look up the bullet used and it is no longer on Hornady's website. The online retailers that offered the bullet, such as MidwayUSA, list is as discontinued. In addition, Hornady has sent out and posted numerous notices that the Interlock series have been suspended or discontinued in favor of their new series.

I sure would not buy a rifle based on the hope of obtaining this ammunition.

There are some outfits offering custom ammunition for the 250 Savage with big game bullets it is typically $50 to $70 for a box of 20 cartridges.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 02:32 PM

Reasonable price may make your decision for you also. I look for them occasionally and I can't find what I consider a reasonable price.

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 07:05 PM

If hornady has no intention of keeping the ammo on the shelf than why did they release 250 savage brass in march?

Who knows, I hope they do offer it as the cartridge needs all the help it can get. What I am saying is that if you are basing the purchase of a 250 Savage rifle on the availability of Hornady ammunition, good luck as the other sources have dropped it. When Remington dropped it, my Farmers CoOp gave me 10 boxes of it as they were not going to carry the now old stock and I gave it those who needed it.

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/15/16 08:46 PM

I went back through some load notes that I have as I remember Bitterroot Valley Ammunition Co (BVAC) and Hunting Shack Munitions (HSM) being available both for my 250 & 300 Savage. I used this to generate brass but the ammo was good and as far as I know they are the same company under the first name. HSM was a brand name that was offered through Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc. Anyway, I found some that is in stock.

Ventura Munitions, Las Vegas, NV ~ 250 Savage Ammunition

They have the HSM brand but also one that I haven't heard of; Load-X. The reviews were good on the latter. The website has six different bullet offerings across the two brands of ammo; two in the HSM and four in the Load-X. That Load-X even has a 120-grain BTSP offering. I took the time to ask chat if all the products were in stock and they answered "yes, they are."

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/16/16 12:21 AM

Alright Ranch Dog, I concede. I see your point in the interlok not being offered anywhere, but it leads one to wonder if its hornady trying to rid themselves of NOS to release a new bullet and clear inventory, which has been discussed on SH, or they are just cleaning house. I could see the cleaning inventory aspect if only the loaded ammo was released but the fact that they are making NEW brass raises an eyebrow!

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/16/16 01:16 AM

Alright Ranch Dog, I concede. I see your point in the interlok not being offered anywhere, but it leads one to wonder if its hornady trying to rid themselves of NOS to release a new bullet and clear inventory, which has been discussed on SH, or they are just cleaning house. I could see the cleaning inventory aspect if only the loaded ammo was released but the fact that they are making NEW brass raises an eyebrow!

cxy, I hope this is just an exchange of info and in that light there is no need to concede anything.

The 300 Savage was in the same shape several years ago but once again, all the ammo makers including Hornady seem interested in it so I hope that this befalls the 250 Savage as well. Cooper is making some high dollar rifles chambered in both cartridges so there is some interest.

Re: Savage 250. Should I? - 11/16/16 03:45 AM

It is RD, no feelings hurt over here. But the facts of the release do ask one to wonder why now and not before
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum