Texas Hunting Forum

Who has broken a Grendel bolt?

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/05/16 07:44 PM

I broke one. It was the bolt that Brownell's includes with their barrels. It probably had a round count of 300 when it broke. I was shooting handloads that were under the book maximum charge. Anyone else break one?
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/05/16 08:03 PM

Doesn't sound too good. Is it a Brownells re-branded or a name brand bolt? Not that it matters at this point, but it would be good info to share.

In the end Brownells will probably make it good with no questions asked. They're top notch folks.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/05/16 08:40 PM

If you shoot a Grendel AR long enough and you are not using an AR Performance Superbolt or an Alexander Arms beefed up bolt, chances are you are going to break a bolt.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 12:06 AM

I broke a .223 bolt, once. Snapped it in half, right in the middle. Lack of oil, was my fault.

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
Doesn't sound too good. Is it a Brownells re-branded or a name brand bolt? Not that it matters at this point, but it would be good info to share.

In the end Brownells will probably make it good with no questions asked. They're top notch folks.

The barrel is an unbranded Satern barrel, I'm assuming the bolt is the same. Grendel bolts are prone to breakage because the walls of the bolt face are so thin. I figured it would break eventually. Just curious how many others have broken bolts.

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: HandgunHTR
If you shoot a Grendel AR long enough and you are not using an AR Performance Superbolt or an Alexander Arms beefed up bolt, chances are you are going to break a bolt.

I ordered the Alexander bolt before I even left the range.

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

That's my dawg!

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

That's my dawg!

banana
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

That's my dawg!

banana

Well I better order a spare bolt cause I have the same barrel and bolt as you and I have more rounds than that. Mine must be a good one because J.G. Shot it and we all know how he can break an AR. grin

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 01:05 AM

True story!

Yours HAS! to be made of Unobtanium.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 01:13 AM

What makes these bolts less susceptible to breakage?
I've heard that this is a weak point in the design of the caliber in an ar frame.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 01:58 AM

Did yours have the .125 or .136 bolt face? If you know, just curious.
Posted By: HandgunHTR

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 02:52 AM

Not sure about the Alexander Arms bolts, but here is why ARP bolts are good to go:

Quote:
We have taken the current AR15 bolt to the next level by completely redesigning the lug and cam pin area as well using a stronger 9310 Vac-ARC alloy to make this the most durable bolt on the market. Notice the thicker web between the recess and the lugs and the larger radius at the root of the lugs. The area of attachment and strength was increased by 24%.

Re: Who has broken a Grendel bolt? - 11/06/16 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim9880
Did yours have the .125 or .136 bolt face? If you know, just curious.

It was the type 2 bolt, .136.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum