Texas Hunting Forum

In the market for a decent bolt action

Posted By: janie

In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 02:50 PM

And I'm taking a look at the Weatherby Vanguard series 2. Anyone here who owns/has shot one, please chime in. Would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks y'all
Posted By: kmon11

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 03:15 PM

Good rifles, I have only shot one of the 2 series in 257WBY but it shot well and its owner is happy with it. I have one of the earlier model Vanguards in that same caliber and it is a good rifle.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 03:19 PM

Love my wby vanguard, its a great shooter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 03:34 PM

Before you go the Weatherby route, take a long look at a Tikka. GrabAGub has several on sale at unbelievable prices. Awesome rifle for the money.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 03:36 PM

janie,

Take a look at Montana Rifle Company. They are clones of the pre-'64 M70, but with some safety improvements to the bolt design. What sets them apart from others in the price point is the quality of barrels, which are unusually good for a factory rifle.

It takes 50 - 100 rounds for them to settle down, but then they are surprisingly good.
Posted By: booradley

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 06:56 PM

We have four Vanguard S2's in the family. Great rifles. I like them better than Tikka but it is purely personal.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: janie
And I'm taking a look at the Weatherby Vanguard series 2. Anyone here who owns/has shot one, please chime in. Would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks y'all

IF you can find one, Walmart is now selling a special offering of the VG Series 2 that has nearly all the features of the VG Deluxe, but for about half the list price of $1149. High-luster bluing, high-gloss walnut stock with maple inlay at the end of the forearm, and same accuracy guarantee. A beautiful gun for sure.

Picked one up recently at my local Walmart for $657.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 07:25 PM

do you have a set budget?

What's your length of pull? RE; do you need a shorter stock to fit you correctly?
Posted By: J McCoy

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 07:40 PM

Tikka T3X
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 08:31 PM

There's a lot of good bolt rifles in the market such as Weatherby, Remington, Tikka, etc. With that being said, find the one the fits and feels the best. You really can't go wrong with any of the major manufactures for general hunting use.
Posted By: JCB

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 09:20 PM

Vangaurd Series 2 is hard to beat for the price! Heck its hard to beat at any price with the Sub MOA guarantee! I have seen $5K+ customs that cant shoot Sub MOA. And the quality of the rifle is worth more than you pay as well.

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 09:58 PM

Y'all are awesome. Thanks so much for the feedback and opinions. Buzz, no clue on my LOP, but full size stocks are a no go. If I had to guess 12.5 to 13.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 10:08 PM

Y'all are awesome. Thanks so much for the feedback and opinions. Buzz, no clue on my LOP, but full size stocks are a no go. If I had to guess 12.5 to 13.

Changing my answer to Win M70 Featherweight Compact.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/r...ht-compact.html

Good luck Janie.

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Vangaurd Series 2 is hard to beat for the price! Heck its hard to beat at any price with the Sub MOA guarantee! I have seen $5K+ customs that cant shoot Sub MOA. And the quality of the rifle is worth more than you pay as well.

$5k custom that can't shoot sub MOA??? Golly, I hope its the shoot and not the rifle...

I've never shot a Weatherby so I cannot comment on them. However, the most accurate out of the box rifles I've seen are Savage and Tikka. I know Tikka comes with a sub MOA guarantee but I don't know about Savage. My Savage and Tikka when I first shot them were at 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. Although, this was with handloads and not factory ammo.

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 10:47 PM

Savage makes a nice rifle proportioned for the ladies, the Lady Hunter has a LOP of 12.5 inches

Ruger Hawkeye compact is another with a 12.5 LOP
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 11:02 PM

Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter, 7mm-08. I know it works and is VERY accurate.
Posted By: JCB

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/03/16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Browning X-Bolt Micro Hunter, 7mm-08. I know it works and is VERY accurate.

I wouldn't pizz on Browning if they were on fire! Called them in February of this year because my Dura Touch stock is melting. They promised to send me another set for my shotgun. Almost 9 months later and I still only have half a stock. I doubt I will ever see the other half based on how many calls I have made and how I keep getting the run arounds. They are well aware of this issues with the Dura Touch too. Its not a isolated incident.

Its one thing for them to tell me they will make it right......its another thing to actually do it.
Posted By: postoak

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/04/16 03:22 AM

The Vanguard S2 has a quality look and feel to it that the Tikka lacks. My .270 shoots about half inch groups and it isn't the one with the sub-moa guarantee. The only possible downside is that it is a little heavier than most of its competitors.

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/04/16 03:47 AM

What caliber are you thinking about for this new rifle?

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/04/16 04:49 AM

I like the Lady Hunter too.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/04/16 10:51 AM

Hold your forearm vertical with your bicep horizontal, the two forming a right angle. Measure the distance between between the pad of your forefinger in the shooting position and the inside corner of your forearm and bicep. This is your length of pull.

While holding a rifle or shotgun vertical with your shooting hand and your forearm and bicep as described earlier, the stock should fit safely inside your forearm and bicep.

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/04/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
What caliber are you thinking about for this new rifle?

Leaning towards the .243 but wouldn't rule out a 7mm-08 or 22-250.

Thanks again y'all.

Re: In the market for a decent bolt action - 11/04/16 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Hold your forearm vertical with your bicep horizontal, the two forming a right angle. Measure the distance between between the pad of your forefinger in the shooting position and the inside corner of your forearm and bicep. This is your length of pull.

While holding a rifle or shotgun vertical with your shooting hand and your forearm and bicep as described earlier, the stock should fit safely inside your forearm and bicep.

A good stock fitter will tell you that method doesn't work a lot of the time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum