Texas Hunting Forum

Savage Axis worth the price?

Posted By: K W C

Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/02/16 12:07 PM

I have a coworker who wants to sell a savage axis in 30-06. It comes with factory mounted scope and a hard case. He has fired @ 20rds through it.
He wants to sell for $250
I don't need it,but he needs the money.
Is it worth buying to resale,or for a backup deer rifle.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/02/16 12:47 PM

That's about the same price as new so reselling wouldn't pocket you any extra.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/02/16 01:14 PM

That rifle in 30-06 will be 0 fun to shoot IMO. The recoil will feel like a 300 win mag.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/02/16 01:59 PM

Guy at my work is selling a new one in 308 for $265
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/02/16 02:02 PM

I have seen a few of these Axis shoot, and I will say I was fairly impressed for the low cost they are. And I am not a Savage fan, if that tells you anything. But for the low cost of these rifles and how good they shoot, it not a bad deal. It would make a great truck gun or secondary rifle.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/02/16 02:17 PM

It's accurate, but I would lean heavily towards the XP version that has the Accutrigger and sells for basically the same price or just a few bucks more.

If you need a truck gun or backup rifle, then it might be fine at $250. But that's not a "deal" and I would personally lean towards buying a new one with the accutrigger if you're looking purely for the best value.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/04/16 01:31 AM

I'd say you should buy it to help your friend out, and then give it to a niece, or nephew, or someone else to get them into hunting. No, it's not a "prized" firearm but someone would love to have it as a first rifle! If you give it to a young one, put a recoil pad on it, or try and find some reduced recoil rounds so they don't develop a flinch.. Then, take them hunting!
Posted By: booradley

Re: Savage Axis worth the price? - 11/04/16 08:51 AM

Sounds like you want to help your co-worker. If that is the case then go for it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum