Texas Hunting Forum

first time shooting AR 15

Posted By: Matt Hejl

first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 02:42 AM

Ok I built my first AR 15. Its an Anderson lower and upper. The lower kit came from Apoc Armory, and its just a typically low cost kit.

Anyways, I probably shot 25 shots totaly and it would do fine, but a couple of the rounds didnt fire and had shallower dents in the primers. I thought I noticed that the bolt carrier group a couple of the times around when the rounds wouldnt shoot wasnt reset all the way forward following a shot and recoil.

Could this just be lack of lubrication and new machined parts? Or what do I need to check? I was super cheap federal american eagle ammo that I got as a throw in from palmetto state armory for buying the bcg and charging handle.

I was going to pull it apart and make sure the gun is lubed well...but wanted to throw this out there to get some advice from some guys with more experience on what else to check.

Other than that, the gun is a blast to shoot...other than the brake I have on it making it sound like a dang cannon.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 03:47 AM

It could be a combination of lack of lubrication and new, tight fitting parts. I would oil the heck out of the bolt and the inside of the bolt carrier and try shooting it again. Also, if the bolt carrier group has any factory grease I would clean all of that thoroughly.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
It could be a combination of lack of lubrication and new, tight fitting parts. I would oil the heck out of the bolt and the inside of the bolt carrier and try shooting it again. Also, if the bolt carrier group has any factory grease I would clean all of that thoroughly.

I agree with all of that. Factory packing grease can gum up a new rifle like nobody's business. I'd clean the hell out of it, then lubricate, then try again.
Posted By: BooneDog

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 04:18 AM

Like said above, clean and oil all the factory crud out of the bolt and firing pin. I have 2 PSA Bcgs and they both came dry as can be and gunk around the bolt.

The next I do is sit on the couch watching TV and rack it about 100 times. The old timers say it mates the parts together and smooths the factory burrs out. It may be hearsay but it has worked for me.

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 04:42 AM

Awesome...thanks.

I'll clean and re lube and report back next time I shoot it.
Posted By: TDK

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 04:53 AM

On a serious note you might be the only person who can go out and only shoot 25rnds through an AR.

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/24/16 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: TDK
On a serious note you might be the only person who can go out and only shoot 25rnds through an AR.

Lol...trying to sight in my irons slowed me down as well as the sun going down!

I can see trouble in the future though.
Posted By: rvrrat14

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/31/16 02:01 AM

AR builds need some 'stroking'...........

Remove the upper from the lower.
Remove charging handle and BCG.
Lube the BCG real good.
Insert the BCG back into the upper.
Take your little finger and insert it IN THE REAR OF THE BCG.
Now draw the BCG up to unlock the bolt, and then push it back in to lock the bolt. This should be done as if the riffle was being fired. Not slamming, but with authority.
Do this about 50 times.
Clean Bolt lugs, BCG contact points, and chamber/feedramp area (Lugs).
Continue doing this for a total of at least 250 times.

This will slicker up the BCG operation just like shooting the weapon, without firing a shot.

Just my .02.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/31/16 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted By: Grizz

I agree with all of that. Factory packing grease can gum up a new rifle like nobody's business. I'd clean the hell out of it, then lubricate, then try again.

Concur.

And I'm the guy that ARs hate. Yet to see one that won't break down in my hands. Happened today with one of mine, and hand loads.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/31/16 02:29 AM

Check the trigger spring. Common mistake to put on backwards and you get that issue
Posted By: Cleric

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/31/16 02:30 AM

Pic here
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507234
Posted By: Fishing Fester

Re: first time shooting AR 15 - 10/31/16 07:54 PM

[quote=Cleric]Check the trigger spring. Common mistake to put on backwards and you get that issue [/quote
More than likely this. I did it on my first build. Frustrating as all get out until I asked a gunsmith.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum