Texas Hunting Forum

Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo??

Posted By: DocHorton

Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 12:58 AM

Looking for a 6.8 upper, preferably an SBR upper...don't want to spend a ton. Where's the best place online?

Also, what's the best ammo for hogs and pigs out of a SBR upper?

Thanks
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 01:05 AM

ARP barrel and bolt
Whatever brand upper receiver you like, handgaurd you like

Rifle gear in Plano just built mine for a very reasonable price with quick turnaround. They had all the small parts
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 01:22 AM

AR performance has good stuff. AR15part.com is local to DFW and has SBR and rifle length uppers. I've purchased a few from them with no problems.

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
ARP barrel and bolt
Whatever brand upper receiver you like, handgaurd you like

Rifle gear in Plano just built mine for a very reasonable price with quick turnaround. They had all the small parts

I'd prefer it to be complete...I'm too lazy to shop around for everything and I'm impatient, Lol.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 02:06 AM

I used Palmetto State, there is also Radical Firearms, Aero Precision.

Can't go wrong with Hornady 120 sst.

Check out 68 forums, lots of info.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 04:43 AM

Eric at Blackstone Arms or HDFireman on here.

He uses ARP barrels and their Superbolt 214*945*5520

I love mine!

Most guys are looking for speed from a SBR so 95 grains Barnes TSX will be the primo round for that rifle for hogs. My 16 inch barrel is going to be using 120 GR Hornady SST for hogs
Posted By: kry226

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 05:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Eric at Blackstone Arms or HDFireman on here.

He uses ARP barrels and their Superbolt 214*945*5520

I love mine!

Most guys are looking for speed from a SBR so 95 grains Barnes TSX will be the primo round for that rifle for hogs. My 16 inch barrel is going to be using 120 GR Hornady SST for hogs

x2

I'm using the 95 gr Barnes with a Blackstone 12.5", but really like how the Fusion 115s shoot as well.

Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 06:07 PM

Look at Hardened Arms, just got a 7.62x39 from them complete upper with a mag $420.

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 07:42 PM

So far I've looked at:

Radical--8 weeks ship time
Aero--None
Blackstone--more than I want to spend
Hardened--best price but don't have a 12.5"
PSA--None
Surplus Arms and Ammo--16" only
JoeBobs--None

Guess I may go with Hardened Arms and have the barrel cut down unless anyone has any other ideas...
Posted By: SmallTownHunter

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 08:39 PM

I bought a complete Olympic Arms 6.8 w/16" Bull Barrel from Buds a couple months ago. Finally took it to the range for the first time last weekend and after sighting in put 5 shots within 1", 3 shots in the same hole. Paid $720 and could not be happier, my buddy was at the range with me with his $3000 SCAR and I was outshooting him. Needless to say he and I were impressed.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/21/16 09:29 PM

I like the Federal Fusion 115gr too. They shoot well in my 16" Rock River and IMO are a better version of a Corelokt bullet, good expansion and performance.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/22/16 01:10 AM

You might try this place
http://bisonarmory.com/68SPC-UpperAssemblies/
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/22/16 01:48 AM

Love my 12.5" arp barrelled sbr. I get 2405 fps using factor hornady 120 sst and 2740 fps using the federal 6.8xm, which is now the fusion 90 grain ammo they came out with. Stocked up nicely when palmetto had it for 9.99 a box! The fusion 115 grain i get 2440 fps. All three of these rounds shoot nice little groups. All have been tested to mushroom down to about 1600 fps by xman on http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php . Hornady may be coming out with a superformance 6.8 round and a eldx bullet specifically for the 6.8. We should know by the end of this month when hornady releases the list. I was told, well kind of had a hint thrown to me by a customer service person at Hornady.
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/22/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
So far I've looked at:

Aero--None
PSA--None
JoeBobs--None

Guess I may go with Hardened Arms and have the barrel cut down unless anyone has any other ideas...

Sorry that my lowers are more than you want to spend but know that I use quality parts(ARP barrels and Superbolts), square the receiver and a few little extra steps. I also guarantee 1 MOA on the 16"+ uppers and will say that the 12.5" uppers that I've built are shooting that as well.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/22/16 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: hdfireman
So far I've looked at:

Aero--None
PSA--None
JoeBobs--None

Sorry that my lowers are more than you want to spend but know that I use quality parts(ARP barrels and Superbolts), square the receiver and a few little extra steps. I also guarantee 1 MOA on the 16"+ uppers and will say that the 12.5" uppers that I've built are shooting that as well.

I didn't spend much less than that for my RRA. Given the components used, those are a good deal.
Posted By: JD4030

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/22/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hdfireman
So far I've looked at:

Aero--None
PSA--None
JoeBobs--None

Highly recommend Eric-your getting a quality build and fantastic customer service for a reasonable price. Radicals not going to use Superbolts, an ARP barrel, an adjustable gas block, etc., and he offers a 12.5" ready to go.

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/23/16 03:46 PM

Thank you JD but I am out of 12.5" barrels at the time. If the OP is interested I can try and track some down or have one cut down.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/23/16 07:06 PM

Never bought fron them, but pruces are good a Badger State Ordnance.
Posted By: tcr2

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/25/16 12:41 AM

Ordered a upper from Blackstone arms today. Eric answered my questions on options and the 6.8 round very well. Have 3x9 Doctor scope try out on a deer or 2 then going thermal for hogs.

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/25/16 01:36 AM

Great talking to you this evening Sir. I'll get it to ya soon.
Posted By: MikeTX

Re: Best place to buy 6.8 upper and ammo?? - 10/25/16 01:51 AM

Those are good prices for a 1 MOA 6.8 upper.

I have a Stag 7H upper in 6.8 and I don't get 1 MOA out of it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum