Texas Hunting Forum

New 6.5 x 47

Posted By: okierifleman

New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 01:52 PM

After a 9 month wait, she is finally finished. I am so happy at the way this one turned out. Going to start load development this weekend with 140 hybrids and Varget and see how she runs. Built by Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision in Spring. He has built several rifles for me and his work is impeccable.

Roberts Precision Defiance Deviant action
Hawk Hill 8tw M40 countour @26'' threaded 5/8-24
Chambered 6.5 x 47 and throated for 140 Hybrids
All metal cerekoted black
J Allen SA700 chassis
Gen 3 Kahles K6-24 with AMR reticle in Badger rings

Posted By: J.G.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 02:01 PM

It'll be boringly accurate, great scope too!

Congrats!
Posted By: Judd

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 03:21 PM

That is being a grizzly bear right there...nice rifle man, congrats!
Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 04:33 PM

Aaron builds great stuff! Congrats on a awesome new stick!
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 08:52 PM

Great rifle.

That 47L will get the job done very easily. One of the most inherently accurate cartridges ever.
Posted By: 6.5BR

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 08:54 PM

Nice, agree, only the 6BR has equalled/surpassed accuracy IME.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 08:58 PM

very nice
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 09:08 PM

Great rifle, I know how it will perform

I am VERY interested in your report on the scope. I love seeing some new stuff on these new rifles RE; Kahles optics and the Hawk Hill barrel, new one to me also.
Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/19/16 10:18 PM

No one builds a finer rifle than Aaron. Looks great.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 12:12 AM

just looked at his website could look long though...Is that Lone Survivor rifle greatness???
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 12:29 AM

I have a .284 Win built by Roberts. It's an unbelievable shooter. I'm sure yours will be too. cheers
Posted By: threeOHH8

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 11:45 AM

eek2 up

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Great rifle, I know how it will perform

I am VERY interested in your report on the scope. I love seeing some new stuff on these new rifles RE; Kahles optics and the Hawk Hill barrel, new one to me also.

I have 4 Kahles scopes now, although this is my first Gen 3. My only real complaint with the Gen 2's is that I can never get a crystal clear picture at 100 yards and in. Past 100 it the most impressive glass I have ever looked through. Other than checking zero, I dont ever use it at 100 yards anyway, so it was never that big of a deal. With the Gen 3's, they have fixed that problem. I can get it focused at 100 and it tracks perfectly. And, I actually think the glass is even better to my eyes anyway.

I have always been a Bartlein guy. When my action came in, I couldn't find a M40 Bartlein. Aaron had a M40 Hawk Hill in stock. He told me he has one on his match gun, so, I took the leap of faith that if it is good enough for him, it is surely good enough for me. So, we will see how she shoots. Oh, one other thing. I have always used Timney triggers on all of my rifles. I let him talk me into a Jewell for this gun and holy crap is it nice. I really think it will be worth the extra coin. Overall I am really happy with the way this gun came together and all the components.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 02:19 PM

Keep a spare Timney in your pack. Sunday, yet again a guy was shooting a stage, and he had a trigger that didn't fire until three seconds later. Fortunately he kept the muzzle down range. I nudged my buddy standing next to me and said "listen to what brand of trigger it is". Someone near the shooter asked, Yup, it's a Jewel.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 06:57 PM

Jewell makes GREAT aftermarket triggers, you could put their "factory" in my garage.

I have also heard what JG said happen before by a gunsmith who started with GAP, he suggested a Rifle Basix on my custom 7mmWSM because it would run very dirty. It was as good as the Jewell for sure.

Never owned a Timney but you cant argue with their track record and the fact they listen to their customers and produce what they ask for...great company.

okierifleman, I would do what Arron said too, the guy is awesome. I may start a build with him since it wont be ready anytime soon. did you gather the parts or did you tell him what you wanted and he gathered them?
Posted By: Judd

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Keep a spare Timney in your pack. Sunday, yet again a guy was shooting a stage, and he had a trigger that didn't fire until three seconds later. Fortunately he kept the muzzle down range. I nudged my buddy standing next to me and said "listen to what brand of trigger it is". Someone near the shooter asked, Yup, it's a Jewel.

Or, if you're going to have a spare trigger you might as well carry the better Jewel as a back up grin

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 07:51 PM

Sure.

Everyone's definition of "better" is different though. My definition of a "better" trigger is one that I don't need to carry a back-up, at all.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/20/16 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Jewell makes GREAT aftermarket triggers, you could put their "factory" in my garage.

I have also heard what JG said happen before by a gunsmith who started with GAP, he suggested a Rifle Basix on my custom 7mmWSM because it would run very dirty. It was as good as the Jewell for sure.

Never owned a Timney but you cant argue with their track record and the fact they listen to their customers and produce what they ask for...great company.

okierifleman, I would do what Arron said too, the guy is awesome. I may start a build with him since it wont be ready anytime soon. did you gather the parts or did you tell him what you wanted and he gathered them?

I usually put all of my stuff together and take it to him. Although on this one, the only thing I supplied was the chassis. Defiance makes the actions for him( he has his own design) that took about 5 months. He had everything else in stock
Posted By: TexasUplander

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/21/16 07:26 PM

I have seen jewell triggers run flawlessly in some brutal conditons but keep hearing the failure stories. I like the standard timneys but their answer to the jewell AKA calvin elite, cant hold a candle to the jewel IMO.
Posted By: watchale

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/21/16 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuckw
I have seen jewell triggers run flawlessly in some brutal conditons but keep hearing the failure stories. I like the standard timneys but their answer to the jewell AKA calvin elite, cant hold a candle to the jewel IMO.

I've had a jewel and timney 510. Now I have the Calvin Elite and I like it better than the Jewell and 510
Posted By: dee

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/22/16 12:03 AM

Jewell failures are almost always tied to pierced primers. If you pierce or blow a primer drop it and send it in. I run jewell in several rifles set at just under 1lb with no issues.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/25/16 02:18 PM

Well, the first batch of load testing went very well. These are the last 3 groups of the day. 36.3 gr gave me a 2744 avg. with a 6.0 SD. No pressure signs at all. Now, I am sitting here scratching my head, trying to figure out whether or not to push it a little faster and messing with the seating depth or just calling it all good. I normally would start trying to tweak it, but I dont know if I can better these groups or not.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/25/16 03:35 PM

Keep going, play with seating depth. If the barrel wasn't fouled much when you tested, it'll get better. That rifle will put five touching, with no paper in between hits, once you find "the" recipe.

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/25/16 08:55 PM

Don't waste your components unless you want to, Unless you are shooting in a benchrest match or just , like Jason said, really finding "the recipe" I would call it good.

varget is easier to find than other powders, so maybe keep shooting for the 1 hole grop
Posted By: stxhunter

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/26/16 01:46 AM

Nice groups. My first load testing seating depth with my 260ai was 45gr of H4831sc using 140gr berger to get about 2700fps, maybe I need to switch powders to get a little more speed. I've been wanting to try H4350, but haven't had any luck finding it.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/26/16 04:01 AM

with 140's and a 6.5x47 run 37.0 of Varget - i'll bet it shoots much better

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/26/16 01:31 PM

That sounds like a plan. I think I will go up some. I am really curious to see where I will actually find pressure anyway.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/26/16 10:06 PM

it's at 37.5 with varget and 140 Hybrids. sorry for the spoiler smile

Re: New 6.5 x 47 - 10/26/16 10:15 PM

Pay attention to Dave. He's a dang goofball, but he certainly knows the 6.5 X 47
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum