Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 08:55 PM

I'm going with this bullet this year in my 6.6X55 Swede and Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor for Whitetail, axis, black buck. Are they killers???

I already use the Berger 140VLDH in my 6.5 Weatherby and will stick with it in this rifle.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 09:13 PM

Oh yes..
We have shot a few deer and hogs already.

Fantastic bullet.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 09:14 PM

Is there any real difference from an Amax other than a more heat resistant tip?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 09:17 PM

Yes, I've had multiple customers use some ELD-X on elk so far. A 162 ELD-X from a 7 Mag was recovered from the off side should of a bull elk that went 20-30 yards after being hit. The bullet went through the front shoulder ball knuckle, and had perfect expansion. I'll see if I can post up the picture of it later.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 09:21 PM

Nathan at Ballisticstudies.com told me that the 6.5 mm ELD-X has exceeded his expectations in every way out to 600 yds.

Im looking forward to using them this deer season as well. Dialed in my final load for them in .308 and i am still trying to tweak my load for the 6.5 CM
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Is there any real difference from an Amax other than a more heat resistant tip?

Yes. The ELD-X is the expanding version of the bullet. The bullet jacket is tapered, and gets thicker as you go down on the bullet. It helps control the expansion and prevent fragmentation and/or the bullet coming apart.

The ELD-M bullet jacket is one thickness throughout the entire bullet.

Also, the ELD-M bullets are held to twice the accuracy standards from the ELD-X bullets are. At SHOT show, Hornady said the ELD-M's are held to ~.12" and the ELD-X was .2" or .25" for the production runs to go forward. The ELD-X was twice the size difference, but he said they easily come in under their max.
Posted By: TCB

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 10:01 PM

All below animals taken in January with the 143gr in a 6.5 Creedmoor. The bullet was recovered in the off shoulder of my son's elk. I've killed a number of pigs with the same gun, all DRT. My buddy bought one of the new Begara rifles in a Creedmoor and killed 2 pronghorns in Colorado at 350+ yards and he said the bullet was devastating.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 10:07 PM

Nice! I'm loading the 143 for my .260 and the 162 for my 7 mag. I will likely have a report on them sometime this season.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone, shoot ya'll some big ones this year
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/18/16 11:39 PM

I've got a couple boxes I plan on loading one day. I've got a lot of A-maxes to burn first.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/19/16 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I'm going with this bullet this year in my 6.6X55 Swede

6.6 Swede sounds like an interesting cartridge. I'd like to hear more about it. smile
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Anyone killed anything with a ELD-X yet - 10/19/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I've got a couple boxes I plan on loading one day. I've got a lot of A-maxes to burn first.

Me too. can't wait to get some ELD-X running!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum