Texas Hunting Forum

Guns you'd never sell ??

Posted By: Creedmoor

Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 01:07 PM

I'm certain that a bunch of you guys have guns in your possession that you'd never, ever entertain selling because of various reasons. I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone has ... and more importantly ... WHY they'd never sell them. There are always some interesting stories in some of the backgrounds.

Winchester Model 190 Deluxe autoloader with Zebra Wood stock. My father bought this gun for 2 Dollars. He was a coin collector and traded 2 silver dollars to another coin collector for the rifle. It is in pristine condition. I've owned it for over 35 years.

Remington Premier 28 gauge. Rare gun and you won't see these at gun shows. They were manufactured by Sabatti in Italy, and were Remington's effort to get into the O/U market and compete with Weatherby, etc but were way overpriced. I bought this one off the shelf at the local Academy for $599 and it was covered with dust. Counter guy said it had been there for over 3 years that he knew of. This gun has seen competition use on the skeet field by my son for over 5 years and he would never give it up.

Posted By: janie

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 01:29 PM

I'll prolly get laughed at, but my single shot .22 from Sears, is just way to much fun to ever think about getting rid of.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 01:45 PM

My 30-30, had it for 46 years...my 700BDL 30-06 always right on the target.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 01:49 PM

Small frame Ruger Bearcat .22 that I bought for $20 in 1974. Still in great condition. Of course my wife pretty well claims it to be hers now. Also my Remington Nylon 66 and a full size Ruger .22 mag revolver that was willed to me when my FIL passed.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 01:53 PM

any inherited guns.

I really have no intention of selling any gun I ever buy.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 01:57 PM

I have two revolvers my grandfather had, a S&W K-38 with target grips, trigger, and sights, and a Colt .38 Detective Special. I also have a ~1980 Remington 788 .243 (22" barrel) that was my first gun (after my Benjamin air rifle). Those three will definitely stay in the family as long as I'm alive.
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:02 PM

My great uncle, who passed in 92' was real Texas cowboy. He and my aunt never had any children and he favored me late in his life. When I was about 10 he took his old Winchester model 94 30-30 off the wall, loaded it and unloaded it one last time. Then he gave it to me and told me it was mine. I've taken several deer and pigs with it over the years, but not in while. I really need to break it out again soon. It's what he would have wanted.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:14 PM

My dad's pre '64 Model 70.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:18 PM

I just inherited several from my Dad that I will never sell. I have three 30-06's and two of them are same model but I would never sell them, one was my Dad's, one was my Grandfathers and one was my wife's Grandfathers. I have at least 10 .22 l.r's and several shotguns, misc. rifles, would lose my house before I sold any of them.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:26 PM

Dads Benjamin Silver Streak that he grew up hunting with. Also have a High Standard HD M103 (IIRC) with US Military Stamps and grips that my Dad inherited from his father and passed on to me. Crazy accurate with an incredible trigger. I also inherited a very interesting pistol from my late grandfather who emigrated from Germany. It is a JP Sauer and Sohn 38H pistol with the original Officer's holster and two magazines. Made from 1938-41 by the company that eventually split up to form Sig Sauer. Going off of memory here, I think it is the first pistol that they made that featured a de-cocking lever so that is kind of cool. It also has Ivory grips and is in great condition. I had it checked out by a trusted gun shop and the older guys in there were drooling over it, but it will never be for sale. I've shot it a handful of times and it is a very cool piece of history.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:32 PM

Harrington and Richardson Topper Model 12ga shotgun. My first gun given to me by my parents for Christmas.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:33 PM

My dads A5 from about 1969. 26" improved cylinder with VR. Many, many quail and dove have been taken with it. Some how we lost the 30" full choke barrel. Many waterfowl taken with that combination. I still shoot it on occasion. Lot's of confidence when shooting it.
Posted By: MO

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:34 PM

90% of what I have is not for sale,

MO
Posted By: Earl

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 02:43 PM

As anyone that follows my posts knows, I sell a lot of what I acquire to fund other purchases. The exception are those that I inherit or are gifted to me such as my father's pre-Garcia Sako Finnbear .270 that took every deer he ever killed. Or his Savage 3D single shot .22 that was his first rifle at 13, then my first at 13, and my oldest son's first at 13. Three generations learned to shoot with that rifle. Like the OP I have a Winchester 190 .22 semi (though mine is not the deluxe model but the plain hardwood version), that was my grandfather's. Those stay and are passed on to my sons. I will also not sell the 1960's Remington 700 BDL .270 that is my hunting rifle. That too will be passed on to one of my boys. I also maintain a black rifle collection the likes of which could outfit a rifle Platoon. I truly believe that bad times are coming one day. If not in my time, they will be preserved and passed on to the boys to ensure they have what they need to defend their families no matter what happens.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 03:00 PM

First gun 54 years ago, Remington single shot .22lr.
Winchester Mod 12, 16 ga. bought 40 years ago and still points better than any I own.
Remington 3200 in 95+% condition.

P_102
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 03:01 PM

Inherited Stevens Model 14 Single-shot .22 - Great grandfather used it with rat shot to move cattle. Barrel is kind of blown out, but I am the 4th generation owner and my son will be #5. Not worth much, and I haven't fired it in more that 25 years, but it stays.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 03:22 PM

I've got one in mind I'm hoping my dad hands down to me. My brother is trying to claim it but we will see.

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Harrington and Richardson Topper Model 12ga shotgun. My first gun given to me by my parents for Christmas.

Same here! First gun I ever owned and was a Christmas present. Unfortunately, my youth overcame my intelligence and I sold it to fund another purchase.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 04:20 PM

Just a few guns that I have inherited from my father.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 05:39 PM

I have a Sears and Roebuck 30-06. This gun was given to my dad, by his dad when he was 16 and my dad gave it to me when I was 16, and I plan on passing it on to my son. It's a shooting machine and has killed enough deer to load your local walmart from floor to roof!!! Got a old 22 that my great grand dad gave me when I was 6. I forget the brand off top, but it's one that will never leave my hands either.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 06:19 PM

Everything I own is for sale.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 06:19 PM

Sako L691R in 300 Weatherby.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

yep me too
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

yep me too

Just the opposite for me. I have never sold a gun. They all have stories to tell. I have given away several, mostly to my sons.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 10:11 PM

I have never and will never sell a gun.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 10:30 PM

1903 single shot 22 - nope
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 10:39 PM

When you loose a company and things get tight, it becomes easy to sell the stuff you thought you never would have.
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/12/16 10:52 PM

I only have one I wouldn't sell. A 50+ year old Winchester 1200 pump shotgun that was my dad's. Not worth anything but I like it.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 12:59 AM

Now that I have finally found the perfect calibers and guns for my needs I will never sell my AR68 or my 30-06 or my .45 or my .410 I have had since I was about 12.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 02:25 AM

Old Mossberg bolt action .22 I got from my Father-in-law. Sentimental value and it is uncannily accurate.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 02:53 AM

Only one I wouldn't sell for any amount of money in the world is my grandfathers old Dallas PD service pistol. He worked for DPD from 56-86 and carried this old Dan Wesson .357 for about ten years. It's old, ugly and kicks like a mule but man the stories I bet this gun could tell. It makes me smile knowing his great grand kids will get to cherish it, and hopefully many generations after that.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 04:10 AM

any inherited guns.
Posted By: redfred

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 04:14 AM

I've got a few I'll never sell. My first gun, a Stevens Crackshot lever action single shot .22, that my dad gave me when I was 8 or so. I've probably killed my weight in rabbits and squirrels with it.
My Winchester 94, .30-30. My dad bought it for me used in 1963, and bought my brother an M-1 Carbine. I ended up with that gun when my brother died, and sold it to buy some other guns. I hated selling it, but the guns I bought with the money I got from it started my gun collection, and one of these days, I'll probably buy another one.
Last, and certainly not least, is my Lefever Nitro Special 16 gauge double barrel shotgun. When I was 12, I was dove hunting with my dad and grandfather, and I was shooting my .410 single shot. For the life of me, I couldn't hit a dove on the wing. PaPa handed me the double barrel, and it felt like it was part of my body. I've hunted doves, quail, rabbits, and ducks with it for 50 years. I like it so much, I found a 12 gauge just like it at a gun show, and now I have nice leather presentation cases for both of them, and I plan to give one to each of my sons. The guns are 100 years old, and I hope they stay in the family forever.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 11:12 AM

I have a closet full but never mess with selling them. The only 2 that I wouldn't part with is my High Standard 12 ga that I got in about 1970 and my Eddystone that I got in 1968. I butchered the 30-06 and it has gone over a lot of North America. Finally HAD to get it rebarreled last year. The 12 ga has taken a lot of doves. And, I no longer dove hunt.

These 2 and my Python will go to my Grandson.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/13/16 10:48 PM

Grandfathers .32 colt model 1903 hammerless nickel with original mother of pearl grips.

I am not sure I believe he carried while stationed in Panama.
Posted By: Buckeyesgt

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/14/16 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Dads Benjamin Silver Streak that he grew up hunting with. Also have a High Standard HD M103 (IIRC) with US Military Stamps and grips that my Dad inherited from his father and passed on to me. Crazy accurate with an incredible trigger. I also inherited a very interesting pistol from my late grandfather who emigrated from Germany. It is a JP Sauer and Sohn 38H pistol with the original Officer's holster and two magazines. Made from 1938-41 by the company that eventually split up to form Sig Sauer. Going off of memory here, I think it is the first pistol that they made that featured a de-cocking lever so that is kind of cool. It also has Ivory grips and is in great condition. I had it checked out by a trusted gun shop and the older guys in there were drooling over it, but it will never be for sale. I've shot it a handful of times and it is a very cool piece of history.

I have a 38h also. Cool little pistol.
http://www.p38guns.com/Sauer38h.htm Good website for them.

I have 3 I'd never sell.
First two were my dads and what I grew ups shooting. An old Stevens model 58 20ga bolt action. And a Remington 552 Speedmaster. The Remington belongs to my son now.

The other one is a 1933 Polish Radom WZ31. .22 training rifle. Only one I have seen in person and only know of maybe 10 others I've seen online.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/14/16 02:42 AM

Grandpas 870 Wingmaster. Nothing special about the gun but its the only thing I own of my Grampas so its staying in the family
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/14/16 11:36 AM

Never say never.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/14/16 03:39 PM

My dad's Remington Model 11 in 12 gauge. He bought it in the '30's and it has been collecting ducks, geese, turkey, quail and dove in Texas ever since then!

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/14/16 03:45 PM

All of them
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 02:42 AM

My 7x57s would be the last ones to go, followed closely by my .30-06 weatherby (almost considered it trading it for an AR a few years ago). Dad's old winchester .270 will never be sold, though it has been before by the person who stole it before I found it several years later on the shelves of a pawn shop. None of his other rifles will ever be sold either, though they're still his at this point so who knows but I doubt he would either.

I'd sell my savage .17hmr, 92fs, etc. Things like that are so cookie-cutter that I really don't have an attachment even though I do enjoy shooting them.

If I ever found my original 7x57 winchester m70 featherweight I'd probably cry. It had an old weaver TV scope and was a basic rifle, but it was my first rifle that my dad bought for me when I was 7 and it meant a lot to me. I'd pay a stupid amount to get it back, but probably never will since I never wrote down the serial number for it.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: mikei
My dad's Remington Model 11 in 12 gauge. He bought it in the '30's and it has been collecting ducks, geese, turkey, quail and dove in Texas ever since then!

Is that really a Remington? It looks awfully like a Browning - a Belgian Browning at that.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 04:23 AM

All my guns are for sell for the right price, only ones I won't sell are my NFA items because I waited to damn long for them and it's a pain to transfer them.

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 10:13 AM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

Is that really a Remington? It looks awfully like a Browning - a Belgian Browning at that.

Looks like an old Model 11 to me ...... confused2
Posted By: mikei

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 10:38 AM

It's an ancient Model 11 patterned after the Browning A5.
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
All my guns are for sell for the right price, only ones I won't sell are my NFA items because I waited to damn log for them and it's a pain to transfer them.

This ^^^^ plus my Beretta 390 Gold Sport.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Originally Posted By: mikei

it is more or less a browning made by remington called their model 11.
just like savage made a model 720 that is more or less the same thing.
all made off browning's patent

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 07:22 PM

Very few parts will interchange between the two, although they have a very close external appearance.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 07:39 PM

I'd never sell a gun that had a serious problem. - You have to cut the price so much, that's it is better to keep it around for parts, etc..
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/15/16 10:29 PM

Never to sell: My great gand dad's RR guns. He was a RR detective and I spent YEARS hunting down his Parker 10g and Colt revolver based on RR numbers and his paperwork. They will never leave my posession. (This was pre-interwebs, so you can imagine the phone calls!) I also have an affinity for Browning A5's, as does my nephew. (I gave him an un-fired 1969 A5 Light-12 when he turned 16) He called me up a few weeks ago asking for a lead on a Belgium A5 in 20g for his new wife. I sold it to him for exactly what it cost me 30 years ago, $150.00. I'm weird that way. Nothing I have is for sale, because I've spent years winnowing my collection down to what I consider near perfection. But I've given away far more guns than I've sold in the past 30 years, guns I would never have considered selling.
Posted By: Pondfishin

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/16/16 02:33 PM

I don't own a gun I wouldn't sell for the right price.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/16/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Never to sell: My great gand dad's RR guns. He was a RR detective and I spent YEARS hunting down his Parker 10g and Colt revolver based on RR numbers and his paperwork. They will never leave my posession. (This was pre-interwebs, so you can imagine the phone calls!) I also have an affinity for Browning A5's, as does my nephew. (I gave him an un-fired 1969 A5 Light-12 when he turned 16) He called me up a few weeks ago asking for a lead on a Belgium A5 in 20g for his new wife. I sold it to him for exactly what it cost me 30 years ago, $150.00. I'm weird that way. Nothing I have is for sale, because I've spent years winnowing my collection down to what I consider near perfection. But I've given away far more guns than I've sold in the past 30 years, guns I would never have considered selling.

You're a great uncle. Mine only ever give me hell!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/16/16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 7x57
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

You're a great uncle. Mine only ever give me hell!

Thank you, I had "those" uncles, too. If you ever have the opportunity, don't be that guy! My brother-in-law pretty much hates me, but my big Sis backs me up and I spoil my nephews mercilessly.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/17/16 03:08 AM

None for sale.

I might trade for one, but not selling any.

I bought 5 guns about 18 years ago, I flipped 4 of them and made my money back plus a profit. I have regretted it ever since.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Guns you'd never sell ?? - 10/17/16 11:52 PM

Never sold one and probably never will. Inherited quite a few and all the others were hard earned.
Just add another safe. Now, I've given a few to son and I've got a few that will go to my daughter. Holding others for future grandkids someday.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum