Texas Hunting Forum

If this was yours

Posted By: Nitronx898

If this was yours - 09/25/16 07:30 PM

I bought this ruger takedown last week and I can't decide what to put on top. Do I go with a scope or red dot like an EOtech. Pros and cons for both.

Thanks
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 07:39 PM

Depends on your intended use. Most of the time with a red dot I'm still pretty accurate at 75 yards

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 07:44 PM

I'm wanting to shoot coons from my feeder using a suppressor
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 07:46 PM

Scope.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 07:48 PM

Agree on scope, might go with one of the 1X6 power ones though, works well at 1X for quick shots but can crank it up when needed
Posted By: T Bone

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 07:49 PM

Illuminated scope & a good feeder light..
Posted By: cblackall

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 08:20 PM

Scope if you're not too worried about it fitting in its backpack. I decided to keep mine packable, as that's what my intentions were for buying it. I have the original stainless model. I did add a Tacsol SBX barrel which will fit in the pack with my suppressor attached, and added a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot which is super compact. I searched high and low for scopes that would fit in the bag without detaching it, and about all I could find were the UTG Bugbusters if I remember correctly. Not really my cup of tea, though I have no real experience with them.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 09:11 PM

I have the above mentioned TRS-25 and a Bugbuster. I generally find the red dot to be all I need for 75 yards and under. If you decide to go with the Bugbuster, you'll have to get an aftermarket mounting rail.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Agree on scope, might go with one of the 1X6 power ones though, works well at 1X for quick shots but can crank it up when needed

X2
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: If this was yours - 09/25/16 10:57 PM

That's a lot of porting for a .22 barrel.
I put a scope on my .22 rifle.
Posted By: cblackall

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 12:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
That's a lot of porting for a .22 barrel.
I put a scope on my .22 rifle.

Those are just ports in the aluminum shroud to reduce weight. The barrel itself is not ported.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 01:38 AM

Leupold makes a good 2-7 variable scope for rimfires, with a one inch tube. I have one, and have found it to be really outstanding.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 01:41 AM

I'm old school, and low budget. My favorite 10/22 wears a simple 3-9x40 Bushnell with lighted reticle, sitting on Weaver see-through rings. Many people hate high rise rings for obvious reasons, but they do have a use for some of us.

I use the scope at 3x-4x for accuracy at mid to longer distance shots. A quick shift in cheek weld allows me to use the factory sights for up close shots.

While this approach works well for my uses, it certainly may cancel out your whole point of a take down rifle.

Posted By: jhenderson

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 02:13 AM

I'd have to go the 1-4 or 1-6 route if mine.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 02:17 AM

ATN Xsight with the latest firmware and ballistics calculations and kitchen sink features!
Posted By: RHutch

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 03:40 AM

I'd put a SS 1-4 on it and kill some coons.
That's what I did to two of mine similarly configured to yours.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 04:35 AM

Vortex crossfire.

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 02:39 PM

Thanks guys, I'll be looking for a scope.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

+1
I think that would be my choice. For our ar, we have both a 1-4 and red dot. Both are the same brand and same brand mount and I highly prefer the 1-4 in general.
Posted By: mikei

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 04:06 PM

I've been using this old fashioned varmint rig as my Raccoon Collector for about 15 years. It stands by the back door and is ready, at all times, to take on the masked bandits!
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 05:16 PM

In general, I find red dots to be WAY overused. I hear guys saying all the time they can shoot their ARs accurately out to 200 yards with a red dot sight. Why? Eotechs are tactical sights, for doing tactical jobs. Super quick target acquisition in close range combat. If all of your shots are under 20 yards, go with a dot sight. If they aren't, you need a scope. Assuming your feeder is at 50-100 yards, I'd go with a 3-9. If it's a bow stand set up of under 25 yards, I'd go 1-6. If it's a bow stand, and you only plan on using it for that intended job, then a red dot could be appropriate in that situation.

Posted By: RiverRider

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 05:52 PM

I'm not sure what I'd put on it...I'd have to go shopping, but I do think I'd stick with something light and compact since the rifle appears to be the same. I'm thinking 6x or 7x at the top end. But then again, maybe something with a red dot and about 3x magnification would be the ticket. But that's just me.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: If this was yours - 09/26/16 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I'm not sure what I'd put on it...I'd have to go shopping, but I do think I'd stick with something light and compact since the rifle appears to be the same. I'm thinking 6x or 7x at the top end. But then again, maybe something with a red dot and about 3x magnification would be the ticket. But that's just me.

I could see a 3x red dot being really handy in this situation.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum