Texas Hunting Forum

Supressed rifles

Posted By: Hoytman

Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 03:46 PM

Guys i have never had a supressed gun and ive noticed that alot of yall are hunting hogs and other varmits with em and im wondering if they are that quiet that u can get more rounds off at a group of hogs or just better for your hearing? Just wondering if there are any advantages worth the money for the permit and the supresser.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 03:50 PM

Both. I've taken up to 5 hogs at a time with a bolt gun. They hear the shots they just don't know where exactly they come from so they don't know which way to run.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 03:52 PM

There's no permit required for a suppressor, just a $200 tax stamp.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 03:59 PM

I run a Rem 700 AAC in 300 blk out, and my son runs a Tikka T3 Varmint in 223, both are suppressed. The main benefit I see is the much quieter report of the rifle. It does reduce the sound in the field, and does not scare off the deer, pigs, or other animals as bad. Plus, it does reduce the recoil. I would not say that the suppressor makes it any quicker for a follow up shot with a bolt gun.

A few years ago, from an elevated blind, I shot over 3 deer to take the furthest deer away when shooting suppressed. The deer heard the shot and impact of the bullet, were startled but went back to eating and were not alarmed. It will certainly reduce the report of the rifle. It will be hard for me not to hunt suppressed now. It is certainly worth it, IMO.
Posted By: fritz423

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

I thought you needed a federal permit signed by a local law enforcement chief. Is all that out the window now?

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: fritz423

I thought you needed a federal permit signed by a local law enforcement chief. Is all that out the window now?

Never needed a permit just a $200 tax.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:29 PM

How loud is a 300 blackout subsonic suppressed at a little bit of a distance? 30 yards? 100 Yards? Can you hear it at 100 yards?
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:33 PM

Wait a second, are you telling me you don't need an trust or anything set up and no permit from the govt to get a suppressor? I have read about people waiting for their permits to come through to get their "can"...I always assumed this was a suppressor but maybe I am wrong?

So I can go into any store that sells suppressors and get one by just paying a 200 tax in addition to the cost of the thing?

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Wait a second, are you telling me you don't need an trust or anything set up and no permit from the govt to get a suppressor? I have read about people waiting for their permits to come through to get their "can"...I always assumed this was a suppressor but maybe I am wrong?

So I can go into any store that sells suppressors and get one by just paying a 200 tax in addition to the cost of the thing?

I think the problem here is your calling it a permit and he is calling it a tax stamp. From my understanding, no, you can not just go down pay your $200 and get a stamp.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:38 PM

There has never been a permit required to buy any NFA item. You still have to do the paperwork and apply for the stamp.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:40 PM

Call it what you will the stamp acts as a permit there is an application process and you cant legally buy one till you have the stamp (acting as a permit)

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Call it what you will the stamp acts as a permit there is an application process and you cant legally buy one till you have the stamp (acting as a permit)

I don't call a postage stamp a letter permit but whatever.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:44 PM

ok, so that's where the rub is. I am looking at silencer shops website right now, and it still sounds like there is some sort of federal process, with fingerprints and all that...a process, not just laying down an extra 200 bucks as I stated.

Might have to look into this more. It would make things interesting.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:46 PM

You can walk down to the post office and buy a postage stamp in real time and use it also. The two are not similar. Your just being difficult.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:49 PM

ok, so that's where the rub is. I am looking at silencer shops website right now, and it still sounds like there is some sort of federal process, with fingerprints and all that...a process, not just laying down an extra 200 bucks as I stated.

Might have to look into this more. It would make things interesting.

It not difficult to get NFA items. I'd file for a NFA item than go to get my drivers license renewed.
Posted By: titan2232

You can walk down to the post office and buy a postage stamp in real time and use it also. The two are not similar. Your just being difficult.

*** You're ***

It's literally a stamp though.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:53 PM

Right its a stamp with an application process. Once completed and obtained said stamp "permits" you to legally posses a suppressor.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:54 PM

Round and around. Who'll get the last word in?
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 04:58 PM

it's not quiet enough for me to consider

a friend was shooting a suppressed .308 from 400 yds away and I can hear
the subdued boom

he reported the pack of 30 scattered after he shot one

the only one that would consider 'quiet' is suppressed .22

I've shot 3 hogs within 1 min using non suppressed .308

my conclusion - it depends on the pack whether they run or not after
hearing the shot or the bullet hitting flesh 'whack'
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 05:03 PM

As all you have received are short, not entirely helpful responses here goes.

There is not a permit or license to buy a suppressor. However, the ATF has certain hoops that you must jump through before they will approve the transfer of the item to you. Do some research and figure out how you want the item titled (in your name, in your name as trustee, etc.) Each variety of ownership has its own requirements with some overlap. Each variety also has advantages and disadvantages. Next, pay for your item and $200 tax stamp and the gun store will submit your application to the ATF. Then, wait and wait some more. Once approved, you will receive your application with a fancy stamp on it. This is when you can take possession of the item from the seller. This ponderous process is why many people offhandedly say that they are "waiting for their stamp."

After you have completed said process and legally acquired your item, that does not mean that you now have a license to buy anything you want. If you want another suppressor, or other Class III item (machine gun, short barreled rifle, etc.) you must begin the process again.

As for their value when hunting. I use one on my 308 ar and would not hunt without it. As stated above, it is much quieter than without, but it is not movie quiet unless you are shooting sub sonic (which are very slow and not well suited for most hunting). That aside, the noise reduction makes hearing protection unnecessary, confuses game as to the location of the shooter, and might not spook game in the area should you decide to wax a hog while deer hunting, for example. Finally, suppressors have mucho cool factor. I say go for it if you have the cash.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 05:23 PM

I was just looking at the silencer shops wait times for stamp approvals, and the method I would easily use (corp) has had a wait time over a year!

I don't kow if this has been updated or not, may give them a call since I have a corp set up already and could easily go that route, but to wait over a year is plain silly. Even for personal stamps it looks like the wait was over 14 months. Trust appeared to be quickest at 6-7 months.

Is that normal time frames or does it seem like the webpage hadn't been updated?
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 05:28 PM

Most are getting their stamps back 5-6 months after your check is cashed.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 05:29 PM

How do most on here register their NFA items? Personal, trust, or corp?

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 05:48 PM

Trust, if you do a corporation and it is sold, sued, dissolved, etc. you will have to transfer your item, pay another tax stamp and wait, or you can lose it. Trust also allows multiple people to possess the item.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: dogdown23
Most are getting their stamps back 5-6 months after your check is cashed.

For guys who sent their applications to the NFA in January/February, yes. However, I guarantee that a wait of 5-6 months is not the case for those who sent in their paperwork in June or later. 41F has caused the volume of applications to skyrocket, so there is no way that wait times are going to stay the same.

NFA tracker is pretty much useless right now since the NFA has received many times more stamp applications in the last few months than they were getting back in January. We won't have accurate data for wait times on recent applications until they start sending back stamps from June.

My guess is the wait time of 12-14 months is a lot more accurate than 5-6. You can't look at the past and use it as a predictor of the future when the volume of applications back then was nowhere near what it is today.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 06:23 PM

I agree with ttuhunter. Silencer Shop posted this pic on July 12th around when the law was changed...a huge stack of forms were sent out to get approved, so wait times are probably going to stretch out longer.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 06:38 PM

So realistically, I would be looking at next Christmas time for any purchase made today...

Hey honey, I found next years Christmas present... bang

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 06:43 PM

So realistically, I would be looking at next Christmas time for any purchase made today...

Hey honey, I found next years Christmas present... bang

Unfortunately yes, but it is what it is. Ask anyone who has suppressors, they are addictive and totally worth it. I'll also give you some advice if you decide to purchase. 1. Get a .22 suppressor for the pure fun factor of it, and 2. Get a can that will go on multiple calibers so it isn't just dedicated to one gun.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 06:44 PM

I had to wait about 5 months last year, but it's one of those things you buy and try to forget about it while you wait. I don't know about others, but it was worth the wait for me. I get a big ol grin every time I shoot now. up
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Trust, if you do a corporation and it is sold, sued, dissolved, etc. you will have to transfer your item, pay another tax stamp and wait, or you can lose it. Trust also allows multiple people to possess the item.

true but as of July 13 2016 all new applications/ tax stamps will require all members of the trust or any new members added to be finger printed and sent in with your 200 payment, but there is no longer a requirement for an LEO signature on any type of app, so doing a trust is ALMOST moot.....

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

true but as of July 13 2016 all new applications/ tax stamps will require all members of the trust or any new members added to be finger printed and sent in with your 200 payment, but there is no longer a requirement for an LEO signature on any type of app, so doing a trust is ALMOST moot.....

Except for the fact that as an individual if you own a suppressor you are the only one who can possess it. That means technically if you leave it at home with your wife she is in violation of the law (I know, long shot but still). Also that means if you die, that suppressor is in limbo until it is legally transferred again. So really, other than the additional fingerprinting requirement, a trust is still the way to go. That is just me though, I'd prefer for my family to have access to use these items and legally possess them, not just me. I'm also not looking to add a suppressor every other month. If I add anymore it will be a couple at the same time.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:31 PM

WOW thats alot of info. Not sure im that gung ho about making my ar15 or ar10 that quiet. Dont want to spend that much just to make the gun look cool either. The pigs dont seem to care and die just as fast. If it was scary quiet i would go the cost but from all the posts its still loud enough to scare the game.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:39 PM

I set up a trust, bought a suppressor and paid $200 stamp fee the first week of March. Called the ATF yesterday to check status and they replied "pending". Really wanted to hunt suppressed this season for hearing protection. Shooting suppressed also makes for a better neighbor when sighting in or hunting in rural areas, especially at twilight on a Sunday morning.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoytman
WOW thats alot of info. Not sure im that gung ho about making my ar15 or ar10 that quiet. Dont want to spend that much just to make the gun look cool either. The pigs dont seem to care and die just as fast. If it was scary quiet i would go the cost but from all the posts its still loud enough to scare the game.

Subsonic .300 blackout can be used to hunt pigs and it is pretty dang quiet, and scary quiet with a bolt gun. Silencerco makes some 220 gr subs that shoot an inch group at 100 yrds. With supersonic ammo it is still significantly quieter, especially to the shooter.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:40 PM

My friend, and I am no expert says that his 308 with a suppressor sounds like a car door being slammed shut. Now that's a lot more quite than just shooting one, but no where near what it is in the movies.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:44 PM

Subsonic ammo, you will likely only hear the firing pin hitting the primer, then the impact downrange a few seconds later. Supersonic ammo you hear but the sound is down range and not so much at the muzzle. Hard to describe but you aren't hearing the "boom" of the rifle, just the "crack" downrange. It is very odd the first time you hear either.

Here is a video of .22 suppressed vs. non suppressed. Not a great comparison since I didn't shoot the supersonics through the can but you can at least hear the difference in the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmb8j1w3jy4
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:47 PM

I have an integrally suppressed .308 bolt gun and is freaky quiet with subsonic ammo. The round smacking their skull is louder than the shot itself

I've gotten spoiled with it and only hunt with suppressed rifles now. Just had a .300 Blackout Built that is also integrally suppressed

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Black02z28
I have an integrally suppressed .308 bolt gun and is freaky quiet with subsonic ammo. The round smacking their skull is louder than the shot itself

I've gotten spoiled with it and only hunt with suppressed rifles now. Just had a .300 Blackout Built that is assume integrally suppressed

Check out Silencerco's 220 subs for the .300 blk, they are pretty awesome.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 08:03 PM

How loud is a 300 blackout subsonic suppressed at a little bit of a distance? 30 yards? 100 Yards? Can you hear it at 100 yards?

I was shooting mine a few months back. My dad was approximately 150 yards away, at a 90 degree angle from my bench and trajectory, with a tree line between us. Slight breeze blowing towards him. He said he couldn't hear the gun being fired, all he heard was the ping of the steel plate.

My brother was directly behind me, 50 yards away, inside the trailer watching TV. He said he never heard a shot.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie

I was shooting mine a few months back. My dad was approximately 150 yards away, at a 90 degree angle from my bench and trajectory, with a tree line between us. Slight breeze blowing towards him. He said he couldn't hear the gun being fired, all he heard was the ping of the steel plate.

My brother was directly behind me, 50 yards away, inside the trailer watching TV. He said he never heard a shot.

If you are shooting a bolt gun with subs out of a 300 blackout, the noise is literally only the firing pin and then the round hitting its target. You can't hear it at 30 yrds much less 100. Just the impact, which is quite loud when there is no boom associated with it. If you are shooting an AR, you will only hear the noise of the bolt cycling.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

Yes, I went with a trust but days after the law changed so of course had to get my teenagers fingerprinted/pictures taken all of that...there is no more CLEO sign off BUT you are supposed to take a copy of everything to your local CLEO and drop it off with them (according to the new instructions). I asked the question if CLEO is not signing that they have received a copy of your paperwork what is the actual point of taking it over there? Are they actually keeping all of these hard copies on file or just throwing them in the trash? Anyway, whatever...
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 08:48 PM

How loud is a 300 subsonic?

Here is an old video I made.

Video

From 65 yards you can't hear much...

Downrange video

It would be tough to go back to loud guns. Doubles and triples are much more common than shooting hogs without a can. Deer can at time be oblivious to it as well.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoytman

Agreed

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 08:56 PM

If you are shooting a bolt gun with subs out of a 300 blackout, the noise is literally only the firing pin and then the round hitting its target. You can't hear it at 30 yrds much less 100. Just the impact, which is quite loud when there is no boom associated with it. If you are shooting an AR, you will only hear the noise of the bolt cycling.

Mine isn't quite that quiet. Sounds a bit quieter than a .22 when it goes off, but it's definitely quiet enough that you can hear the impact. I'm running a 10.5" barrel on an AR platform. A 220 grain projectile leaving a small space at high velocity is going to make more noise than just the bolt cycling.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 09:07 PM

Mine isn't quite that quiet. Sounds a bit quieter than a .22 when it goes off, but it's definitely quiet enough that you can hear the impact. I'm running a 10.5" barrel on an AR platform. A 220 grain projectile leaving a small space at high velocity is going to make more noise than just the bolt cycling.

Shooting mine all I hear is the sounds of moving parts, nothing else. The noise from the bullet is no different, the action of a semi auto is. I'm shooting 16 in barrels on both but bolt and AR either way. I've had bullets that claimed to be subs end up going supersonic and sound similar to what you are describing, but with true subs it just isn't there. It still sounds like you are dropping a text book on the floor from waist level but nothing sounding like a gunshot.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 09:14 PM

Shooting mine all I hear is the sounds of moving parts, nothing else. The noise from the bullet is no different, the action of a semi auto is. I'm shooting 16 in barrels on both but bolt and AR either way. I've had bullets that claimed to be subs end up going supersonic and sound similar to what you are describing, but with true subs it just isn't there. It still sounds like you are dropping a text book on the floor from waist level but nothing sounding like a gunshot.

Well, 1010fps is faster than I can throw a softball, so I'll call it high velocity. roflmao

Saw your edit, that very well may be the case, that I got some rounds that are going supersonic. It was a borrowed suppressor that I was using, once I get mine out of purgatory I'll try it with several different manufacturers.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 09:25 PM

Well, 1010fps is faster than I can throw a softball, so I'll call it high velocity. roflmao

Saw your edit, that very well may be the case, that I got some rounds that are going supersonic. It was a borrowed suppressor that I was using, once I get mine out of purgatory I'll try it with several different manufacturers.

The thing that blew my mind the most shooting supersonic vs subsonic was the time it took for the bullet to get to 100-200 yrds. It seemed like forever with the subs. The only thing I've shot lately is silencerco and hornady subs if that makes a difference. None of the silencerco's went SS but a couple of the hornady's did. Good luck on getting your can out of jail and enjoy it when you do.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 09:47 PM

Here's a video with audio taken from a game cam. I was about 165 yards and the cam was 5 yards in front of the pig. I was using a 6.5G with an Omega.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stWIyXr0yO4&feature=youtu.be

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 09:59 PM

There is a trick to getting subs quiet, or quieter. For example, I have several loads with the same bullet for an AR-15 vs a bolt gun. In an AR-15, you need to fill the case up with a slower burning powder to make the action cycle. In a bolt gun, all you need is the bullet going subsonic, so less powder of a faster burning powder will be quieter, and make the round more efficient to shoot better. The bolt gun load developed for my bolt gun is quieter than the AR-15 load, since the bolt gun load has less powder (i.e.- less bang!).

Also, not all suppressors are created equal. There are several I have shot that were louder, even with subs. Plus, I run a 300 Win Mag magnum size can, which has more volume, and is quieter than a smaller volume suppressor.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DrifterAT
Here's a video with audio taken from a game cam. I was about 165 yards and the cam was 5 yards in front of the pig. I was using a 6.5G with an Omega.

Very nice video and good kill!! The crack you hear in the video is the bullet breaking the sound barrier, which occurs on all supersonic rounds down range. I don't think you even hear the rifle! Nice!

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/21/16 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

Also, not all suppressors are created equal. There are several I have shot that were louder, even with subs. Plus, I run a 300 Win Mag magnum size can, which has more volume, and is quieter than a smaller volume suppressor.

Didn't think about mentioning that I'm doing the same thing.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/22/16 05:48 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
There is a trick to getting subs quiet, or quieter. For example, I have several loads with the same bullet for an AR-15 vs a bolt gun. In an AR-15, you need to fill the case up with a slower burning powder to make the action cycle. In a bolt gun, all you need is the bullet going subsonic, so less powder of a faster burning powder will be quieter, and make the round more efficient to shoot better. The bolt gun load developed for my bolt gun is quieter than the AR-15 load, since the bolt gun load has less powder (i.e.- less bang!).

I was hoping you'd chime in. I currently have a SilencerCo Hybrid floating in purgatory, I figure when it gets here that I'll be coming to you for an expensive visit.

I bought some whatevers when I had the opportunity to borrow a suppressor for a weekend, simply for the snicker factor, but I'd like to have a stash once I get my hands on my own.

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/22/16 11:36 AM

Rabbit hunting with a suppressed 22 pistol and a flashlight is aout as much fun as you can have hunting.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Supressed rifles - 09/22/16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: DrifterAT

nice video
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum