Texas Hunting Forum

Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic

Posted By: buck_hunter

Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/20/16 06:17 AM

Was wondering if anybody had any info on a Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic rifle. Have the opportunity of getting a used one and wondering on how good the rifle is such as shooting long range, durability, accuracy, and what is the best ammo for the gun such grain and name brand. Also what will be the going price on a used one that is in mint condition and has a Nikon 3x9x40 Bush master scope installed. If I get the gun, I will be used for mainly deer hunting. My lease is west of Ozona and we have whitetail, mule deer, and Audad. Any info on the rifle would be appreciated.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/20/16 01:38 PM

I have one in 270 and it is a great gun. Shoots very well with factory Hornady SSTs but I reload for it with Bergers. It will shoot a ragged hole if I can get steady. I can't say as to the price of a used one but mine was marked $700 when i bought it and thought I got a great deal. Eurooptic carries a nice selection of Sakos so you can compare prices there on new ones.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/20/16 02:43 PM

Think of the SAKO A7 as an upgraded Tikka T3, primarily with a better stock, magazine & and dunno if it has the SAKO M85 style locked trigger bypass tab bolt opening system unlike the the T3's 2 position safety. FWIW both of these guns use the same barrel & come off the same hand fitted assembly line.

I'd buy an A7 finances aside if it came in a caliber I wanted over a T3 in a heart beat, and tried to the one time I found a used one in cherry condition.

Or said another way...if a T3 is a top end Toyota Camry, the A7 is a tricked out Avalon, and a base grade SAKO is a Lexus 300, as the Avalon & the Lx 300 are essentially the same cars with some minor cosmetic changes + The Name on the grill of the Lx300.... and so on
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/20/16 04:25 PM

Ron gave a great analogy. The Camry will get you where you need to go but it sure is nice riding in the Lexus. Forgot about the mag. I believe the Tikka T3 detachable mag is a simple push button to release and it is possible (not probable) to detach on accident and lose. The Sako you push in on the mag slightly then hit the button so it is almost impossible to accidentally lose the mag. I'm not 100% on this though so somebody that has a T3 can weigh in. I only have the Sako.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/20/16 05:06 PM

Had a 300 win mag wish I'd never sold it. By far the most accurate none custom gun I've ever shot.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/21/16 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
I believe the Tikka T3 detachable mag is a simple push button to release and it is possible (not probable) to detach on accident and lose. The Sako you push in on the mag slightly then hit the button so it is almost impossible to accidentally lose the mag. I'm not 100% on this though so somebody that has a T3 can weigh in. I only have the Sako.

This is correct. I have both. And improbable or not I did accidently drop the magazine on the T3 once. I was lining up a shot at a beauty black buck with my T3 in .243 and the rest I was using depressed the mag release and the mag dropped and made enough noise to in the process to spook the black buck.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/21/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Think of the SAKO A7 as an upgraded Tikka T3, primarily with a better stock, magazine & and dunno if it has the SAKO M85 style locked trigger bypass tab bolt opening system unlike the the T3's 2 position safety. FWIW both of these guns use the same barrel & come off the same hand fitted assembly line.

I'd buy an A7 finances aside if it came in a caliber I wanted over a T3 in a heart beat, and tried to the one time I found a used one in cherry condition.

Or said another way...if a T3 is a top end Toyota Camry, the A7 is a tricked out Avalon, and a base grade SAKO is a Lexus 300, as the Avalon & the Lx 300 are essentially the same cars with some minor cosmetic changes + The Name on the grill of the Lx300.... and so on
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Yep, I would not hesitate to buy at a fair price, re-scope if $$ permits. This gun deserves a higher quality, higher power optic and use Premium ammo or roll your own with top bullets. Get your butt to Ozona !!!
Posted By: buck_hunter

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/21/16 01:45 AM

Thanks for the feed back fellas. I can get the gun for about $600 and that includes the scope. May be able to get it cheaper. Like I said the gun is in mint condition. Like new. Think I'm going to jump on it. What would be a good high end scope to put on the rifle? Say if I had about $500 to spend on a new scope.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/21/16 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: buck_hunter
I can get the gun for about $600 and that includes the scope.

For that price you'll be very happy with it.

Re: Sako A7 7mm Mag Stainless Synthetic - 09/21/16 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: buck_hunter
Thanks for the feed back fellas. I can get the gun for about $600 and that includes the scope. May be able to get it cheaper. Like I said the gun is in mint condition. Like new. Think I'm going to jump on it. What would be a good high end scope to put on the rifle? Say if I had about $500 to spend on a new scope.

That's a steal. For scopes in that range I really like Leupold VX3s. I have several. You might be able to find a used Zeiss Conquest as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum