Texas Hunting Forum

Put a New Stock on it

Posted By: charlesb

Put a New Stock on it - 09/19/16 11:42 PM

Recently I traded into a Winchester model 70 in stainless steel, with a composite stock. (270WSM)

The composite stock was OK, but my favorite model 70 stock has always been the Sporter model, with a full sized fore-end and wrap-around checkering.

I dug around and discovered that Midwest Gunworks has New, Old-Stock (NOS) Winchester stocks, including the Sporter stock that I prefer.

The one that I wanted for the 2-piece floorplate short action, with a metal grip cap was 250 dollars, a bargain as far as I was concerned.

So, now I have something that you would have to order from the Winchester custom shop to own, a model 70 Sporter in stainless steel.

Midwest Gunworks warned that these NOS stocks may have minor dings from storage, mine had a few but they were minor indeed. Now my Winchester looks like a new rifle.

If you have a model 70 that could use a new stock, these would be good folks to talk to. I gave this stock a quick going over with Renaissance Wax, otherwise it is just as it came out of the box. Now to glass bed it, and install a Pachmyer decelerator pad.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/20/16 12:17 AM

Beautiful stock! Now is it my imagination or did you lay that rifle down on dirt & rocks? Have you lost your mind? Pick it up! Pick it up now!!!!

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/20/16 12:23 AM

It is a gravel walkway leading to my shop. It is always shaded so it works out great for gun pictures.

I laid it down quite gently for the pictures, and it is now back in the safe with its buddies, no worse for the experience.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/20/16 03:09 PM

up While I can respect the cost and performance of synthetics, I will always prefer wood stocks!

Looks similar to my savage 14 American classic stainless.

That gun is easy on the eyes!
Posted By: booradley

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/20/16 03:59 PM

It looks really nice Charles.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/20/16 05:00 PM

I like it. MUCH better than the synthetic stock imo. To me, a Model 70 needs to have a wood stock.

Well done. up

Did you bed it? How well does the barrel float in that stock?

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/20/16 11:36 PM

The barrel fits like a glove, with wood just touching down both sides. It does not pass the dollar bill test, as it is. The barrel channel will have to be opened up a tad. We will also epoxy bed it before it makes it out to the shooting range.

It shot well with the composite stock. We'll just have to hope it does as well or maybe better with the new one.

I am impressed with Midwest Gunworks, they were nice to work with and everything was just as they described.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Put a New Stock on it - 09/21/16 03:27 AM

That looks great!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum